Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

On 8/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I did reach out today to my folks about this because I've been boarding a number of the old express buses where seats are blocked with personal belongings, which should not be happening. Will continue to monitor.

How has service been in terms of the QMs running on-time?

On 8/30/2022 at 8:33 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There was a very late QM5 to Midtown (the 7pm). Not sure what the story was.

A couple weeks ago I had a friend take the QM5 to the city on a Saturday (Around 4PM). The bus arrived to the terminal in Queens a little late but still had enough time to make an on time departure. However the bus left over 30 min late to the point I had to tell my friend to go to Union Tpk and take the next QM6, which ultimately beat that QM5. So basically a 90+ min gap in service. Looking back now I probably should have said something then but I was more focused on getting my friend into the city since they we're already 30 min late. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2022 at 12:25 AM, IAlam said:

A couple weeks ago I had a friend take the QM5 to the city on a Saturday (Around 4PM). The bus arrived to the terminal in Queens a little late but still had enough time to make an on time departure. However the bus left over 30 min late to the point I had to tell my friend to go to Union Tpk and take the next QM6, which ultimately beat that QM5. So basically a 90+ min gap in service. Looking back now I probably should have said something then but I was more focused on getting my friend into the city since they we're already 30 min late. 

That’s ridiculous. Those weekend buses should run like clockwork, even with 59th street bridge construction. I’d send in a complaint if you remember the date and time. 

Not an issue but a slight pet peeve...the LCD screens on the newer Prevosts are extremely bright.  It's quite noticeable during night time hours when the screens are still set to daylight brightness.  It's even worse when the driver turns off the overhead lights so people can snooze but the display screens are crazy bright in your eyes.  Just something to consider in case others have similar complaints and you want to bring this up to the tech teams.

19 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Not an issue but a slight pet peeve...the LCD screens on the newer Prevosts are extremely bright.  It's quite noticeable during night time hours when the screens are still set to daylight brightness.  It's even worse when the driver turns off the overhead lights so people can snooze but the display screens are crazy bright in your eyes.  Just something to consider in case others have similar complaints and you want to bring this up to the tech teams.

I haven't paid attention quite frankly. Next time I get one at night I'll check it out.

On 9/1/2022 at 12:25 AM, IAlam said:

On 9/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

That’s ridiculous. Those weekend buses should run like clockwork, even with 59th street bridge construction. I’d send in a complaint if you remember the date and time. 

The QM5 is problematic on weekends because it has to do too much, so some trips end late.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I haven't paid attention quite frankly. Next time I get one at night I'll check it out.

The QM5 is problematic on weekends because it has to do too much, so some trips end late.

@Via Garibaldi 8 I had an interesting experience on the QM5 last night (Tuesday night). I was going to catch the 8:10 PM QM5 to Queens, which I often do on Tuesday nights. There's a big line of passengers waiting at my stop, and I see two QM5's, one right behind the other, on Bustime. I first think it's a glitch, but then I see them both continuing up the route.

First bus comes, and I see it's the usual B/O (Asian guy), and bus is nearly SRO. A whole bunch of people get on and now the bus is nearly full. So, a few of us wait for the next bus, which comes along with only a few people on it. Thank god for this second bus, or I'd have been squeezed in or standing on the first QM5, which has happened before because a lot of people take the bus at that time.

Now, this second QM5 has a smart B/O who takes the QMT to avoid the horrible traffic due to construction on the bridge. When we get to Main Street, I check the tracker and we beat the first QM5 by 18 minutes!

So, I'm first trying to figure out why there were 2 QM5s at the same time (was the second bus really the 7:40 bus very delayed?

Second, can we request the MTA have buses after, say, 7 pm take the QMT instead of the bridge to avoid traffic? It made such a big difference last night. That construction is going to be going on for quite a while from what I can tell.

30 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I had an interesting experience on the QM5 last night (Tuesday night). I was going to catch the 8:10 PM QM5 to Queens, which I often do on Tuesday nights. There's a big line of passengers waiting at my stop, and I see two QM5's, one right behind the other, on Bustime. I first think it's a glitch, but then I see them both continuing up the route.

First bus comes, and I see it's the usual B/O (Asian guy), and bus is nearly SRO. A whole bunch of people get on and now the bus is nearly full. So, a few of us wait for the next bus, which comes along with only a few people on it. Thank god for this second bus, or I'd have been squeezed in or standing on the first QM5, which has happened before because a lot of people take the bus at that time.

Now, this second QM5 has a smart B/O who takes the QMT to avoid the horrible traffic due to construction on the bridge. When we get to Main Street, I check the tracker and we beat the first QM5 by 18 minutes!

So, I'm first trying to figure out why there were 2 QM5s at the same time (was the second bus really the 7:40 bus very delayed?

Second, can we request the MTA have buses after, say, 7 pm take the QMT instead of the bridge to avoid traffic? It made such a big difference last night. That construction is going to be going on for quite a while from what I can tell.

I will reach out about this tomorrow and ask - I think a few people in the group have been complaining, but I had no idea as to why. As for late QM5 buses, yes, I have noticed quite a few lately when checking at random times and I mean REALLY late too. Maybe that's why. Was the Asian guy a middle aged guy? If so I have had him a few times. Last time I took the QM1 to Queens he drove it. We're talking pre-pandemic when I had a meeting out in Kew Gardens for work.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I will reach out about this tomorrow and ask - I think a few people in the group have been complaining, but I had no idea as to why. As for late QM5 buses, yes, I have noticed quite a few lately when checking at random times and I mean REALLY late too. Maybe that's why. Was the Asian guy a middle aged guy? If so I have had him a few times. Last time I took the QM1 to Queens he drove it. We're talking pre-pandemic when I had a meeting out in Kew Gardens for work.

Thanks! Yeah, they are doing a deck replacement of all lanes on the upper roadway, one lane at a time. They started with the Manhattan bound side first, and are moving to the Queens bound side. Its bad enough as is, but it's gonna be even worse during the Queens bound side. I see no reason that they cant all get rerouted tov the QMT in the evenings while this is going on. It will save a lot of time sinxe the LIE calms down by then

There are a few middle aged Asian guys, most left over from Queens Surface days. This guy is the skinniest one and has been driving thr 8:10 pm bus for a few years now

Edited by QM1to6Ave

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks! Yeah, they are doing a deck replacement of all lanes on the upper roadway, one lane at a time. They started with the Manhattan bound side first, and are moving to the Queens bound side. Its bad enough as is, but it's gonna be even worse during the Queens bound side. I see no reason that they cant all get rerouted tov the QMT in the evenings while this is going on. It will save a lot of time sinxe the LIE calms down by then

There are a few middle aged Asian guys, most left over from Queens Surface days. This guy is the skinniest one and has been driving thr 8:10 pm bus for a few years now

Yeah if I saw him I'd recognize him immediately. I've had him on quite a few QM lines.

One announcement on masks on the express bus. Masks are now OPTIONAL. The mandate ended today with Governor Hochul's announcement, which was effective immediately. Signage on the express buses will be changed as buses can be updated and I will reach out tomorrow to ask that all express bus operators are reminded/made aware of this change. I already had a complaint from a QM8 rider that was told that they needed a mask tonight when the mandate is over. No passenger should be denied service if he or she decides not to wear a mask.

I will also inquire about the latest regarding seats being blocked off on the new express buses given this change with the madate.

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One announcement on masks on the express bus. Masks are now OPTIONAL. The mandate ended today with Governor Hochul's announcement, which was effective immediately. Signage on the express buses will be changed as buses can be updated and I will reach out tomorrow to ask that all express bus operators are reminded/made aware of this change. I already had a complaint from a QM8 rider that was told that they needed a mask tonight when the mandate is over. No passenger should be denied service if he or she decides not to wear a mask.

I will also inquire about the latest regarding seats being blocked off on the new express buses given this change with the madate.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the QM2/20 being asked to put on a mask, especially since things have gotten rather loose in the last 2-3 months anyways.  Still seems like the majority of people have a mask on the express buses I'm on but the tide is turning.

I really do hope they unblock the first 2-3 rows of the Prevosts soon.  It's annoying to be on a bus with 30+ people and no one can use those seats.

37 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the QM2/20 being asked to put on a mask, especially since things have gotten rather loose in the last 2-3 months anyways.  Still seems like the majority of people have a mask on the express buses I'm on but the tide is turning.

I really do hope they unblock the first 2-3 rows of the Prevosts soon.  It's annoying to be on a bus with 30+ people and no one can use those seats.

I will inquire today now that the mask mandate is lifted. The QM8 is out of the same depot as the QM2 & QM20.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:15 AM, 7-express said:

I usually sit a row in front of the screen so I can avoid the light but yeah it desperately needs a night mode.

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I had an interesting experience on the QM5 last night (Tuesday night). I was going to catch the 8:10 PM QM5 to Queens, which I often do on Tuesday nights. There's a big line of passengers waiting at my stop, and I see two QM5's, one right behind the other, on Bustime. I first think it's a glitch, but then I see them both continuing up the route.

Honestly, it been pretty bad to the point I'll just pay peak fares on the LIRR now, also with school staring today who knows how bad it'll get. But I've also tried to use the QM21 some late evenings to avoid Queens Blvd and even that saves time over the QM4/5/6. 

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

I usually sit a row in front of the screen so I can avoid the light but yeah it desperately needs a night mode.

Honestly, it been pretty bad to the point I'll just pay peak fares on the LIRR now, also with school staring today who knows how bad it'll get. But I've also tried to use the QM21 some late evenings to avoid Queens Blvd and even that saves time over the QM4/5/6. 

Yeah, I'm totally fed up with this. I'll look into the QM21, thanks!

I also had another A**hole B/O today block the front row with his property, and then scream at me when I tried to sit there because it was the only open row, and told me I had to move to the back. Unbelievable. I filed a complaint as soon as I got off the bus. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yeah, I'm totally fed up with this. I'll look into the QM21, thanks!

I also had another A**hole B/O today block the front row with his property, and then scream at me when I tried to sit there because it was the only open row, and told me I had to move to the back. Unbelievable. I filed a complaint as soon as I got off the bus. 

Practically every QM2/20 MCI bus I end up on has the driver blocking the first row with their belongings.  Only on certain buses someone sits up there, usually people the driver likes to talk to.  It hasn't been an issue with the buses I've been on though because they're either carrying less than 25 people or a person is already occupying the seat.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Practically every QM2/20 MCI bus I end up on has the driver blocking the first row with their belongings.  Only on certain buses someone sits up there, usually people the driver likes to talk to.  It hasn't been an issue with the buses I've been on though because they're either carrying less than 25 people or a person is already occupying the seat.

It's so crazy, since none of this nonsense occurs on the QV EXP routes I take. I would take those routes more often if I could, but they are more inconvenient.

I have noticed that sometimes the people the B/O lets sit in the front seat is another B/O or MTA employee, as you said

6 hours ago, 7-express said:

Go those drivers can be some of the worst. All of the NE Queens express buses come from the same pool of bus ops but the rudest end up on the QM2/20 somehow.

I just stopped using it all together and switched to the QM4 even if it is further away for me.

Edited by IAlam

On 9/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

It's so crazy, since none of this nonsense occurs on the QV EXP routes I take. I would take those routes more often if I could, but they are more inconvenient.

I have noticed that sometimes the people the B/O lets sit in the front seat is another B/O or MTA employee, as you said

These bus operators are unbelievable. Mask mandate ended yesterday. Now all of a sudden, they are masked up when the majority of them haven't been since the pandemic began. Tonight I got one that had the nerve to ask me if I needed a mask. Now I had one, but opted not to wear it because it is no longer required. Getting off the bus, I asked him if he asked the guy behind me that was getting off with me if he needed a mask, since he too was maskless. He says no because because you didn't have one. I will definitely be escalating my complaint for sure now.

I was on a newer Prevost bus this morning and the chains were removed from the front, restoring about 4 rows of seating.  The 5th row (the very front row) was blocked off by...you guessed it...all of the bus driver's belongings.  Pretty good crowd on my bus too with 35 people on board.

Edited by 7-express

15 hours ago, 7-express said:

I was on a newer Prevost bus this morning and the chains were removed from the front, restoring about 4 rows of seating.  The 5th row (the very front row) was blocked off by...you guessed it...all of the bus driver's belongings.  Pretty good crowd on my bus too with 35 people on board.

Yeah and it's been a battle to get these seats re-opened, but little by little we'll get there. Don't expect every bus to have the chains removed, but over time it should be done.

34 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Looks like a QM6 was involved in a collision this afternoon right as it was about to turn onto the upper level of the Queensboro Bridge on 57th Street.  Looks like the Ford went straight from a double left turn bay into the front of a newer Prevost.

Yes, heard about this earlier.

Awful traffic on the bridge tonight with the queens bound lane being closed for lane replacement. Still no sign of the buses being rerouted to the tunnel, like they should be...

I took an X63 today for the first time in a while, and what a lovely difference from the CP a-holes. No seats blocked, friendly BO who kneeled the bus, and evem told some loud lady to quiet down her loud phone call. What a pleasure. 

FYI, bus 1333 operating as the 1545 QM2 trip to Bay Terrace wasn't showing up on BusTime while in Manhattan.  It only showed up again once it entered Queens.  Not sure if this is a bad GPS or it was having a bad signal in Manhattan.  Just thought I'd note it here.

Edited by 7-express

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

FYI, bus 1333 operating as the 1545 QM2 trip to Bay Terrace wasn't showing up on BusTime while in Manhattan.  It only showed up again once it entered Queens.  Not sure if this is a bad GPS or it was having a bad signal in Manhattan.  Just thought I'd note it here.

Happens a lot when they cross the Queensboro bridge. I've seen it with the Q101 and Q32.

18 hours ago, 7-express said:

Was the destination signage correct? There aren't any dead spots along 6th Av, but some QM express buses won't track because the signage is incorrect or "NOT IN SERVICE" is put up. 

The other issue is sometimes buses track as Midtown buses when they are Queens bound buses, but that doesn't happen too much. I worked on a similar issue with the (MTA) for some BM lines Downtown where they pulled buses from service to fix the GPS issues because they were tracking intermittently.  Need more info on this one...

The QM2 does have one area that is a dead spot over by 162nd and Powells Cove Blvd where every QM2 disappears after that stop then re-appears later up by the Cross Island Parkway & 160th St.