Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

Afternoon B/O on the QM35...no mask and blocking the front row with her MTA jacket and bag. Sheesh. With the mandates being lifted, a lot of offices must have expanded their openings because these buses have been PACKED the last few days. I'm still not used to so many people on the bus Mon-Thurs.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Afternoon B/O on the QM35...no mask and blocking the front row with her MTA jacket and bag. Sheesh. With the mandates being lifted, a lot of offices must have expanded their openings because these buses have been PACKED the last few days. I'm still not used to so many people on the bus Mon-Thurs.

Yesterday was also warm out so more people out and about. Took Metro-North in... Peak train was like a regular train. Express bus back was crowded as well.

Today's adventure...took the subway into the city, which was actually not too bad. In the evening, the 8:10 QM5 was PACKED...I was the last one on, and every single row was taken, and 3 people sitting in the back row. The B/O had his bag blocking the front row so I thought to myself "f*** this" and sat down in the row right next to his bag. I'm not taking this nonsense. B/O didn't say a word to me or he would have gotten a mouthful from me.

I hope more people do the same so we stop this nonsense.

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Today's adventure...took the subway into the city, which was actually not too bad. In the evening, the 8:10 QM5 was PACKED...I was the last one on, and every single row was taken, and 3 people sitting in the back row. The B/O had his bag blocking the front row so I thought to myself "f*** this" and sat down in the row right next to his bag. I'm not taking this nonsense. B/O didn't say a word to me or he would have gotten a mouthful from me.

I hope more people do the same so we stop this nonsense.

I've been noticing that people have been spreading out more on QM trips. I used to remember late mornings and midday buses into the city being nearly empty and this week I'm seeing 2-3x the amount of passenger as I did pre pandemic. I really hope the MTA is keeping track of ridership in both peak and off peak periods because overall ridership doesn't alwasy paint a great picture of what's happening. 

52 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I've been noticing that people have been spreading out more on QM trips. I used to remember late mornings and midday buses into the city being nearly empty and this week I'm seeing 2-3x the amount of passenger as I did pre pandemic. I really hope the MTA is keeping track of ridership in both peak and off peak periods because overall ridership doesn't alwasy paint a great picture of what's happening. 

The (MTA) is well aware of the ridership patterns. At least at the height of the pandemic, they were meeting regularly to discuss it. In any event, they know that ridership patterns are changing and right now, they aren't looking to make tons of service changes, so what exists will continue. I have asked about having earlier service on some lines that are seeing also SRO conditions.

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

Absolutely. Today was lower because of the weather, but I anticipate it back up again tomorrow. Today I got a real "lovely" female B/O who refused to kneel the bus even though she stopped in the middle of the street, and had the plastic tableclothes roping off three rows of seats. I am so tired of this. Time for a complaint email. 

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

And hopefully something the Queens redesign folks keep in mind.  It was annoying how they made the QM20 replacement a peak hour only bus and cut a bunch of off peak runs from the QM2 replacement.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:56 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

I have noticed this problem on only a few express bus rides... This morning coming home, and the other night coming home. I filed formal complaints for each one. I would suggest you do that each time because when I follow up on this, I will be asked for specific examples so that they can try to get this under control. That's really the only way to address it. College Point is the worst offender though, no question.

I haven't taken any trips on other lines to see how service is in a while, but I will plan that sometime soon. The College Point drivers, some of them know my face from when I was riding years ago when I first started the group to see what issues riders were having to have addressed. They would see me on the QM2, QM5 and QM6 on weekends, so they knew something was up. lol 

I have not done that in a few years in part because I was under the impression that quite a few issues have resolved themselves, such as the whole saga with drivers not wanting to go up to 57th and 3rd. Has that been an issue recently?

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have noticed this problem on only a few express bus rides... This morning coming home, and the other night coming home. I filed formal complaints for each one. I would suggest you do that each time because when I follow up on this, I will be asked for specific examples so that they can try to get this under control. That's really the only way to address it. College Point is the worst offender though, no question.

I haven't taken any trips on other lines to see how service is in a while, but I will plan that sometime soon. The College Point drivers, some of them know my face from when I was riding years ago when I first started the group to see what issues riders were having to have addressed. They would see me on the QM2, QM5 and QM6 on weekends, so they knew something was up. lol 

I have not done that in a few years in part because I was under the impression that quite a few issues have resolved themselves, such as the whole saga with drivers not wanting to go up to 57th and 3rd. Has that been an issue recently?

When it comes to any problem on express buses, College Point is always the worst offender.

Luckily I haven't had any drivers kick me off the bus it's rare I ever go that far nowadays. But I know for a fact I would not put up with that today. If a BO tries to kick me off at Herald, I'm not walking off with out a badge number. 

I'm doing a some traveling outside of the city this week so I doubt I'll be on any express buses for a while, although I was always an occasional rider. 

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Absolutely. I will be filing a report for the same BS this morning on the QM1 (a different one from the one I was taking last week), and will reference that you/the advocacy group specifically will be following up with the MTA about this issue lol

I haven't had to take a 6th ave bus past 42nd street in a while, so I am not sure about that issue. But when I have gone to 42nd, it has not been an issue

Update: I filed the complaint

Edited by QM1to6Ave

On 3/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Filed another complaint about the QM5 BO this afternoon who blocked a row of seats with his being belongings. I'll keep doing this all week if needed

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Filed another complaint about the QM5 BO this afternoon who blocked a row of seats with his being belongings. I'll keep doing this all week if needed

Continue and keep me posted. I know who the President is of their union and he is not customer focused at all. He was in my group and I gave him the boot. His attitude is part of the reason they are so unprofessional.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Continue and keep me posted. I know who the President is of their union and he is not customer focused at all. He was in my group and I gave him the boot. His attitude is part of the reason they are so unprofessional.

Will do...it really is crazy when I take a CS or QV bus how shocked I am that the B/Os kneel the bus without having to ask, actually say "you're welcome" when you thank them, and don't look irritated to be around human beings all the time. These CP EXP runs are relatively cushy compared to the rough local routes out there so there's no excuse for nonsense.

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Will do...it really is crazy when I take a CS or QV bus how shocked I am that the B/Os kneel the bus without having to ask, actually say "you're welcome" when you thank them, and don't look irritated to be around human beings all the time. These CP EXP runs are relatively cushy compared to the rough local routes out there so there's no excuse for nonsense.

CP has a ton of express bus service and they don't care.

On 3/15/2022 at 5:15 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

CP has a ton of express bus service and they don't care.

Filed two more complaints...this is occurring on every single bus I take, it is insane as the buses are more full than they have been in the last 2 years. So, there is a now a nice paper trail for you to point to when you follow up with MTA and CP management. I'll keep filing...

37 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Filed two more complaints...this is occurring on every single bus I take, it is insane as the buses are more full than they have been in the last 2 years. So, there is a now a nice paper trail for you to point to when you follow up with MTA and CP management. I'll keep filing...

We're working on this.  Check your DM.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I actually just saw this story on my phone's suggested news stories, and I had a feeling you were going to be quoted in it! Great job, totally agree with your points, and the MTA's line about "needing to do more research" sounds like BS...just make it equivalent price-wise to the 7-day EXP bus pass!

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Happy to announce that I was able to secure an earlier BM2 bus to Midtown. The first BM2 will now leave Canarsie at 5:20am, followed by a 5:50am.  The service will start tomorrow morning.

Just too bad they don’t have enough express buses. SMH. That 5:20AM schedule reminds me of the old command schedule for BM2. 4:55AM, 5:20AM, 5:50AM. 

11 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just too bad they don’t have enough express buses. SMH. That 5:20AM schedule reminds me of the old command schedule for BM2. 4:55AM, 5:20AM, 5:50AM. 

I've been pitching the old cost neutral plan for the earlier trip to the (MTA) going back several months, particularly because of the crowding, but it wasn't standing room only then, but around 45-50 riders most days, if not more. They didn't want to do anything a while back, but with the bus now being standing room only, they were kind of forced to. They pretty much just moved some buses around, which I expected, but they had to get a driver to start earlier, so I got the heads up last week that they were working on it. I had heard from BM2 riders that they wanted an earlier bus years ago, but couldn't get the (MTA) to agree, so I figured I'd revisit the idea at another time. Apparently, years ago, there was a 5:20am BM2 trip that was cut.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been pitching the old cost neutral plan for the earlier trip to the (MTA) going back several months, particularly because of the crowding, but it wasn't standing room only then, but around 45-50 riders most days, if not more. They didn't want to do anything a while back, but with the bus now being standing room only, they were kind of forced to. They pretty much just moved some buses around, which I expected, but they had to get a driver to start earlier, so I got the heads up last week that they were working on it. I had heard from BM2 riders that they wanted an earlier bus years ago, but couldn't get the (MTA) to agree, so I figured I'd revisit the idea at another time. Apparently, years ago, there was a 5:20am BM2 trip that was cut.

Same with 4:55 AM.  That trip was also cut.  It’s good that the 5:20 is coming back.  

28 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Same with 4:55 AM.  That trip was also cut.  It’s good that the 5:20 is coming back.  

Yeah. It likely will not track tomorrow unless they have the new schedule uploaded into BusTime already.  Supposedly, it will be trackable tomorrow. We shall see.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah. It likely will not track tomorrow unless they have the new schedule uploaded into BusTime already.  Supposedly, it will be trackable tomorrow. We shall see.

Very impressive! Good work! (I always wonder if the B/Os that do those 5 am runs do overnight runs and like to finish their day at like 6:30 am, or if they are very early risers lol)

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Very impressive! Good work! (I always wonder if the B/Os that do those 5 am runs do overnight runs and like to finish their day at like 6:30 am, or if they are very early risers lol)

On the express routes, most of them have it as their first run of the day (except for a few trips interlined with the overnight SIM1C). For the local routes, it's a mixture of both.