Commuters to LIRR: Trains are dirty

Via Garibaldi 8

Commuters to LIRR: Trains are dirty

Riders paint a picture of spilled beer and coffee on train floors, and food grime on seats and windows. The Long Island Rail Road counters that it has hired more workers and cleans trains more than in the past.

image.jpg

Trash is strewn about the floor and seats of an eastbound LIRR train on the Babylon Branch after the evening rush Wednesday. Photo Credit: Newsday/Thomas A. Ferrara

By Alfonso A. Castillo

alfonso.castillo@newsday.com  @alfonsoreports

Updated January 13, 2019 6:00 AM

The Long Island Rail Road, just months after promising to ramp up efforts to keep trains clean, is fielding complaints from riders and its own workers about trains being filthy.

The accounts of spilled beer and coffee on train floors, food grime on seats and windows, and bathrooms overflowing with sewage come as the LIRR — under pressure by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to cut costs — scales back a plan to increase train cleaning efforts. The LIRR said its "car appearance maintainers" clean each of the railroad's 115 train sets about 4.5 times a day.

It also comes as the railroad continues to carry a record number of riders, including some who, according to fellow commuters, think little of leaving their trash behind when they step off a train. The LIRR carries close to 300,000 riders on an average weekday. 

image.jpg

Trash is visible on a rush-hour LIRR train on the Babylon branch on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019. Photo Credit: Debbie Egan-Chin

"Ridership at historically high levels places great demands on our system," LIRR spokesman Aaron Donovan said. "We are meeting those demands with a diverse set of responses, and we continue to look at new ways to improve further.”

Although the railroad said it has increased its number of car cleaners and the number of times trains are cleaned each day by about 5 percent, many commuters said they haven't noticed a change for the better.

“Guys leave their beers around. And people push their garbage in between the seat and the wall, just below the window . . . I’ve seen people blow their noses and push it in there. And I’m just like, ‘Holy cow. How could you do that?’ ” said Steve Oleksiw, 59, of Garden City, who has been commuting on the LIRR for 30 years and is dubious of LIRR president Phillip Eng’s claim that the railroad has stepped up train cleaning efforts. “They don’t seem any cleaner ... . Those that are commuting to work every day, I think, are getting fed up.”

Tony Arroyo, 49, of Long Beach, similarly called his LIRR commute “absolutely disgusting,” and said he’s sometimes reluctant to put his luggage on the floor of a train out of fear of what might get on its wheels.

Source: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/clean-forward-eng-lirr-cars-1.25829252

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I noticed the windows on the LIRR M7s are very dirty, some are so dirty that when you look out of it, everything's a blur smh.

I read about the toliet overflowing into the passenger area on Twitter, yikes.

I actually have seen toilets overflow on Metro-North trains but nothing like I saw on the LIRR train. This picture is crazy!!:

50012450_10218505942102591_3198889623426

You'd have to be a fool to deliberately put any of your belongings on the floor of an LIRR train..... I mean, I have seen some shit (well. literally.... and figuratively) on an LIRR car that would make the subway appear Mr. Clean pristine in comparison.....

- The drunk chick doing her best balancing act in super heels (I call em) that ending up falling in SOMEONE ELSE's VOMIT..... Started crying after the fact; not because she was injured, but because no one would help her out/help her up.....

- The one breaux (bro) that came out the bathroom with 2 of his other breaux.... ughk.... well let's just say from the waist down, a newspaper wasn't the only thing black, white, and red all over on that dude.... Needless to say, that ***ed up my whole day that day.... If you're gonna do some experimenting, do so in the privacy of your own.... Oh, forget it.

- The chick that couldn't quite make it, and was like f*** it - squatted down, hiked up the skirt a little, big girl panties down, behold - the fountain of ooohhhhffffff (I had to switch cars, the stench was so bad)..... Not that it matters, but facially speaking, she could catch one

- As alluded to above, the guy that #2'd on the walkway to look cool in front of his friends (I guess).... A fight actually broke out between another passenger & the friend of the dude that did the do (doo) on that train that day..... While I think shitting in public is obviously downright nasty, I don't care that much to want to fight somebody over it out of GP, if none of it touches me or my personal belonings.... An LIRR train is not my personal possession... Sorry, not sorry.

- The chick that was shaving her cooc.... um, nether region, spread eagle, no phucks given (least I didn't notice a stench, but that's not the point).... Odd thing was, after she was done, she smiled at every single dude that she passed by as she got off the train (at NHP)....

- Numerous couples expressing their lust, interpersonally (I think I mentioned one instance of it on here - and that was during the workweek, on my way to work that day)... Karma karma karma karma karma..... Sutra?

- IDK who was really with who, or how it started, but from what it looked like, two separate sets of breaux's were spitting back & forth at each other (and I'm not talking about reciting rap lyrics either).... This led to a chick's broken nose (not sure how she fell, but she faceplanted somehow tryna break up the... spat :D) & cheap beer being flung throughout the middle of that particular subway car.... Not that this matters either, but it's always the skunky, cheap stuff !

- Don't know how many times I've been on an LIRR train ever since I started working out here on "the island" where someone threw up, mid-ride..... I hate the smell of my own damn vomit - imagine someone else's.....

- Couple semen stains, used condoms, used tampons, drug paraphernalia (needles), insulin vials, dried up blood.... Yep, seen ALL of that.....

- The food of choice that's often left behind for whatever reason, are pizza's.... The individual slices sometimes still in the boxes, sometimes on the floor... On the seat, under the seat, on the floor, on the overhead rack, back over by the c/r's area, whatever.....

----------------------

I say all of that to say, nobody can't tell me anything about how clean the LIRR supposedly is & how it's cleaner than the filthy NYC subway, this that & the third..... This report does not surprise me in the absolute slightest & IMO, it's giving the LIRR more justice than it deserves in the cleanliness department....

10 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

You'd have to be a fool to deliberately put any of your belongings on the floor of an LIRR train..... I mean, I have seen some shit (well. literally.... and figuratively) on an LIRR car that would make the subway appear Mr. Clean pristine in comparison.....

- The drunk chick doing her best balancing act in super heels (I call em) that ending up falling in SOMEONE ELSE's VOMIT..... Started crying after the fact; not because she was injured, but because no one would help her out/help her up.....

- The one breaux (bro) that came out the bathroom with 2 of his other breaux.... ughk.... well let's just say from the waist down, a newspaper wasn't the only thing black, white, and red all over on that dude.... Needless to say, that ***ed up my whole day that day.... If you're gonna do some experimenting, do so in the privacy of your own.... Oh, forget it.

- The chick that couldn't quite make it, and was like f*** it - squatted down, hiked up the skirt a little, big girl panties down, behold - the fountain of ooohhhhffffff (I had to switch cars, the stench was so bad)..... Not that it matters, but facially speaking, she could catch one

- As alluded to above, the guy that #2'd on the walkway to look cool in front of his friends (I guess).... A fight actually broke out between another passenger & the friend of the dude that did the do (doo) on that train that day..... While I think shitting in public is obviously downright nasty, I don't care that much to want to fight somebody over it out of GP, if none of it touches me or my personal belonings.... An LIRR train is not my personal possession... Sorry, not sorry.

- The chick that was shaving her cooc.... um, nether region, spread eagle, no phucks given (least I didn't notice a stench, but that's not the point).... Odd thing was, after she was done, she smiled at every single dude that she passed by as she got off the train (at NHP)....

- Numerous couples expressing their lust, interpersonally (I think I mentioned one instance of it on here - and that was during the workweek, on my way to work that day)... Karma karma karma karma karma..... Sutra?

- IDK who was really with who, or how it started, but from what it looked like, two separate sets of breaux's were spitting back & forth at each other (and I'm not talking about reciting rap lyrics either).... This led to a chick's broken nose (not sure how she fell, but she faceplanted somehow tryna break up the... spat :D) & cheap beer being flung throughout the middle of that particular subway car.... Not that this matters either, but it's always the skunky, cheap stuff !

- Don't know how many times I've been on an LIRR train ever since I started working out here on "the island" where someone threw up, mid-ride..... I hate the smell of my own damn vomit - imagine someone else's.....

- Couple semen stains, used condoms, used tampons, drug paraphernalia (needles), insulin vials, dried up blood.... Yep, seen ALL of that.....

- The food of choice that's often left behind for whatever reason, are pizza's.... The individual slices sometimes still in the boxes, sometimes on the floor... On the seat, under the seat, on the floor, on the overhead rack, back over by the c/r's area, whatever.....

----------------------

I say all of that to say, nobody can't tell me anything about how clean the LIRR supposedly is & how it's cleaner than the filthy NYC subway, this that & the third..... This report does not surprise me in the absolute slightest & IMO, it's giving the LIRR more justice than it deserves in the cleanliness department....

Whenever I've taken the LIRR to visit clients of the island or for business dinners, I have not been all that pleased with the cleanliness to be honest. To me the LIRR is nothing but an overpriced subway. Ghetto, dirty, etc. Metro-North is much better in that regard.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Whenever I've taken the LIRR to visit clients of the island or for business dinners, I have not been all that pleased with the cleanliness to be honest. To me the LIRR is nothing but an overpriced subway. Ghetto, dirty, etc. Metro-North is much better in that regard.

Preaching to the choir....

I don't miss taking the LIRR for that, and several other reasons.... If the MTA were to give me a lifetime pass for the LIRR, I'd rip it up right in the face of the person that handed it to me & tell him to go f*** him/herself..... I'm that miffed.... Call this being O.D. or whatever. but f*** the LIRR....

I'm really almost at the point where I'm like eff Nassau County altogether (I'm hearing Suffolk county's actually gotten worse as far as safety; gang activity & what not... haven't fanned out there since & really have no desire to, regardless of the fact)..... Good salary or not, I can't wait to get out of this place (Mineola).... Not that I didn't before, but I see why my own mother opted to retire after working for Verizon/Nynex/ma bell/god knows however many other names over the course of 30+ years the phone company went by... She was alright with working Downtown Brooklyn, but after they sent her out to Lynbrook, she was miserable.... Never really saw her in that state in all my life.... She was only out here for about 2 years.... For me, this is going on almost 5....

I'll say it as many times as I have to.... Doing all this driving is not all that it's cracked up to be - but I'll take having to put up with a bad/worsening back, over putting up with the crap of the LIRR any further.... I even considered taking NICEbus at one point (I still have yet to step foot on a NICEbus.... the streak continues)....

I can't stand Piney boy (pinepowerli), but he is dead on with his commentaries about the LIRR.....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Preaching to the choir....

I don't miss taking the LIRR for that, and several other reasons.... If the MTA were to give me a lifetime pass for the LIRR, I'd rip it up right in the face of the person that handed it to me & tell him to go f*** him/herself..... I'm that miffed.... Call this being O.D. or whatever. but f*** the LIRR....

I'm really almost at the point where I'm like eff Nassau County altogether (I'm hearing Suffolk county's actually gotten worse as far as safety; gang activity & what not... haven't fanned out there since & really have no desire to, regardless of the fact)..... Good salary or not, I can't wait to get out of this place (Mineola).... Not that I didn't before, but I see why my own mother opted to retire after working for Verizon/Nynex/ma bell/god knows however many other names over the course of 30+ years the phone company went by... She was alright with working Downtown Brooklyn, but after they sent her out to Lynbrook, she was miserable.... Never really saw her in that state in all my life.... She was only out here for about 2 years.... For me, this is going on almost 5....

I'll say it as many times as I have to.... Doing all this driving is not all that it's cracked up to be - but I'll take having to put up with a bad/worsening back, over putting up with the crap of the LIRR any further.... I even considered taking NICEbus at one point (I still have yet to step foot on a NICEbus.... the streak continues)....

I can't stand Piney boy (pinepowerli), but he is dead on with his commentaries about the LIRR.....

Yes, driving does take it's toll, especially with these horrible streets out here.

I have a friend who lives in Mineola and works on east side of Midtown who got so fed up with using LIRR that they drive to take QM31, QM35 or QM36 bus at 188 Street and Union Turnpike stop. They told me that Fresh Meadows near bus stop has no alternate side parking and is free and they are not just saving money on $261 monthly LIRR ticket, but on paying for parking and paying for Metrocard separately from the train ticket. This friend told me so many horror stories about the LIRR and they told me the express bus riders are much more civilized and less entitled than LIRR riders. With my experience with LIRR, I totally understand my friend and I have been on many express and local bus in Queens. 

20 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

.....the middle of that particular subway car

should read;

.....the middle of that particular LIRR rail car.
(my sincerest apologies to the NYC subway... Lol.)

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, driving does take it's toll, especially with these horrible streets out here.

The horrible drivers out here also.... Rivals NJ.

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Wow, I guess I've been lucky sticking to the Atlantic Terminal <-> Jamaica trains. They must clean them at the terminal (or at least scoop out the garbage/human waste), plus those trains are always empty, that I haven't been exposed to all of the "lovely" things @B35 via Church has had the joy of experiencing 

Cleaners (of any sort) in this country get a raw deal..... You couldn't pay me enough to clean up someone else's excrement... someone else's love juices (lol).... someone else's, anything that's capable of being emitted..... IDC if you give me a hazmat suit or an astronaut's suit either!

2 hours ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

I have a friend who lives in Mineola and works on east side of Midtown who got so fed up with using LIRR that they drive to take QM31, QM35 or QM36 bus at 188 Street and Union Turnpike stop. They told me that Fresh Meadows near bus stop has no alternate side parking and is free and they are not just saving money on $261 monthly LIRR ticket, but on paying for parking and paying for Metrocard separately from the train ticket. This friend told me so many horror stories about the LIRR and they told me the express bus riders are much more civilized and less entitled than LIRR riders. With my experience with LIRR, I totally understand my friend and I have been on many express and local bus in Queens. 

Forget who it was on here, but I kept trying to tell the guy that there are infact people driving from Nassau County to catch city express buses into "the city".....

Quite a bit of people catching the NE Queens "QM" buses up along LNP don't be all Queens residents.... First couple times I used to fan the QM1/a many moons ago, I found that rather surprising.... Of course, this was well before I got to a point where I used the LIRR with any regularity....

AFAIC, the LIRR is a suburban subway under FRA regulations.... They may as well implement recordings akin to the subway:

"This.... is a Manhattan bound lerrr train... The next stop is... _____________ ..... Stand clear of the closing doors, bro"

27 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

should read;

.....the middle of that particular LIRR rail car.
(my sincerest apologies to the NYC subway... Lol.)

The horrible drivers out here also.... Rivals NJ.

Cleaners (of any sort) in this country get a raw deal..... You couldn't pay me enough to clean up someone else's excrement... someone else's love juices (lol).... someone else's, anything that's capable of being emitted..... IDC if you give me a hazmat suit or an astronaut's suit either!

Forget who it was on here, but I kept trying to tell the guy that there are infact people driving from Nassau County to catch city express buses into "the city".....

Quite a bit of people catching the NE Queens "QM" buses up along LNP don't be all Queens residents.... First couple times I used to fan the QM1/a many moons ago, I found that rather surprising.... Of course, this was well before I got to a point where I used the LIRR with any regularity....

AFAIC, the LIRR is a suburban subway under FRA regulations.... They may as well implement recordings akin to the subway:

"This.... is a Manhattan bound lerrr train... The next stop is... _____________ ..... Stand clear of the closing doors, bro"

Don't forget the automated reminder "As a courtesy, please vomit away from the other passengers' feet"

45 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Don't forget the automated reminder "As a courtesy, please vomit away from the other passengers' feet"

They can even have signs in the cars themselves stating that very thing - with arrows pointing in every direction (basically meaning, go somewheres else & hack your insides out!)

Which-Direction.jpg

LIRR should have signs for so many thing I don't know where to start...

Pick up your trash and put it in the station trash receptacle. 

Please vomit in the bathroom.

There is no assigned seating please don't hold or save seat and don't ask people to move from their seat because it is the seat you sit in every day. 

No smoking  and that includes e-cigarette, traditional cigarette, weed. 

Keep your hands to yourself and there is no sexual activity allowed. 

No harassment of train crew or other passenger allowed. 

Shirt, pants, and shoes required. 

No soliciting or panhandling.

I can go on and on and on and on... 

1 hour ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

LIRR should have signs for so many thing I don't know where to start...

Pick up your trash and put it in the station trash receptacle. 

Please vomit in the bathroom.

There is no assigned seating please don't hold or save seat and don't ask people to move from their seat because it is the seat you sit in every day. 

No smoking  and that includes e-cigarette, traditional cigarette, weed. 

Keep your hands to yourself and there is no sexual activity allowed. 

No harassment of train crew or other passenger allowed. 

Shirt, pants, and shoes required. 

No soliciting or panhandling.

I can go on and on and on and on... 

Yeah, and some of these items LIRR employees are guilty of too :lol:

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

The commuters complain about the dirty trains as if the dirt and the garbage appears out of thin air. Gimme a break.

Yep, this sums up what I graphically conveyed in posts above.....

I sense an undertone/implication from these complaints that *some OTHER group of riders* (as in, those that do not pan east of the Mason-Dixon line Queens-Nassau border) are causing those unsanitary conditions.... City folks are not using the LIRR as their personal waste dump (double entendre, intentional)......

Nassau/Suffolk patrons need to wake up & smell the "cawwfeee".... It's THEM.

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, and some of these items LIRR employees are guilty of too :lol:

Those same LIRR employees tell LIRR riders that if they don't like LIRR, they should go drive. I was even told that LIRR employees say among themselves that the public should go shut up and let the railroad employees do their job. LIRR has the worst customer service of any MTA agency and has worse customer service than NJT. 

Archived