LIRR Announces Beta Test of Real Time Train Finder – myLIRR.org

BM5 via Woodhaven

http://www.mta.info/news/2019/02/06/lirr-announces-beta-test-real-time-train-finder-–-mylirrorg

lirr_mobile_screens2.jpg?itok=B9DRrela

The Long Island Rail Road has launched a beta test of an online tool that allows customers to see the real-time position of trains on a map. It also shows information about train lengths and locations of any trouble spots affecting train service. The map is refreshed with new data every three to five seconds and benefits from the enhanced accuracy of GPS data.

“We’ve heard many times from customers that they want better information about when their train will arrive,” said LIRR President Phil Eng. “This tool is designed to be the gold standard level of information and should remove any doubt about where upcoming trains are and how many cars they have, and to provide a visual sense of how fast the trains are traveling. The myLIRR tool is an important component of our efforts to improve customer communications as part of the LIRR Forward plan.”

To use the tool, customers can go to any web browser and navigate to mylirr.org. The first thing displayed is a list of LIRR stations with a customer’s selected favorite stations displayed at the top. Tapping on a station gives a list of upcoming trains, organized by scheduled arrival time for the eastbound and westbound directions. Tapping on any listed train pulls up a map that shows that train’s location within the LIRR systemwide map, which is overlaid on a geographically accurate map showing streets, parks, bodies of water, and more, all in a muted fashion that allows train service to be highlighted. As the train moves, the icon representing the train on the map moves as well.

To help customers be prepared if a train has fewer cars than normal, the tool also lists how long each train is. Zooming in on the train displays this information graphically, by showing an outline of the train, with each of the cars in the train appearing on the map.

Instances where ongoing track work is reducing the number of available tracks are shown on the map with a wrench icon, and unplanned events that can delay trains, such a switch or signal problem, broken rail, track condition or disabled train are shown with an exclamation point icon.

LIRR Commuter Council Chair Mark Epstein said: “We commend the LIRR for this move to provide riders with a more accurate and real time assessment of the location of their trains and encourage riders to provide feedback to the LIRR as it rolls out this new on line feature.”

To enable the tool to function, the LIRR has installed GPS transponders on all trains, nearly 600 GPS units in total. The GPS data supplements information from the LIRR’s signal system to provide the tool with accurate real-time positions of trains. Areas in tunnels where GPS is unavailable use signal system data and station stops and intermediate waypoint beacons to identify train locations.

The tool supplements existing real-time offerings including email and text messages service alerts available at MyMTAAlerts.com, MYmta, and the LIRR Train Time app. The myLIRR tool is in beta, and the LIRR plans to amend and improve it based on customer feedback. The LIRR asks that anyone who has suggestions for improvement to email feedback@mylirr.org.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the beta here.

It looks okay for a beta. I like how they have service alerts listed on the locations where stuff is going on the map (whatever applies which may delay or suspend service). 

Cool feature, I used to think about a feature like that while using Train Time.  Just checked it out, the map works on my phone but not on my computer, maybe i need to restart.

4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

It tells you what type of train it is, too (M3, M7).

Good, I can avoid M3s :P

• 10 months later...

I like the idea but it seems to work differently on my desktop compared to my tablets both Android and iPadOS. My desktop screen shows location-stops-car#s from left to right on the bottom of the screen but some of my tablets omit the whole bottom line info no matter which way they're oriented. Landscape or portrait makes no difference. I'm on my desktop right now, not near my mobile devices so I can't tell which mobile device does what. Then again I still get confused with the redirected new mta.info. It might say there's no (Q) service between C.I and. Kings Highway yet if I click on Brighton Beach or Ocean Parkway it shows train service in both directions. Tried it last night with the signal fire. Top of page says no service yet scroll down and it shows regular service in both directions. Also my devices don't show what's shown in the original post but if I go to Google Play or the App store  that's what I see. IIRC I'm using the my LIRR.org link rather than the app itself. Either way I find it useful. Carry on.

It exists and works today. Will it exist and work in the next three to five years? Let's see how long it takes for this to become the next Train TIme.

The MTA has run through more apps and websites for various sorts of things than I can care to count. Jay Walder wasn't great, but he at least had the right idea that the MTA should leave the jobs like this to third-parties, because unlike the MTA their bills getting paid depends on the information being usable, reliable, and maintained.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The app is now available on Android.

It's been out for Android for a few days now, and it has some animation glitches that needs to be taken care of.

The iOS app is seamless(I own an iPhone XR & OnePlus 6, I straddle between the lines lol)

10 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It's been out for Android for a few days now, and it has some animation glitches that needs to be taken care of.

The iOS app is seamless(I own an iPhone XR & OnePlus 6, I straddle between the lines lol)

The iOS app is a little slow, at least the Android version has some type of loading symbol to indicate something is happening.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The iOS app is a little slow, at least the Android version has some type of loading symbol to indicate something is happening.

For me, the iOS one has a loading symbol, it just loads faster than the Android version(and my phone has 8GB ram with a Snapdragon 845).

Edited by Cait Sith