OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Oh wow...that article really shows "how the sausage is being made" so to speak. Only a dozen full-time employees on this massive project?? Damn.

Yes that is the sad part like your reaction to my post.  The MTA wants to get things done right and have people to get their OMNY cards and they should give "unlimited monthly" to the OMNY card users so user can switch and ditch the Metro Card but then again if people take the NICE bus that is a problem because they don't have the OMNY readers yet.  If the NICE bus and the BEE line has OMNY readers then the MTA better have unlimited monthly option for the OMNY card and credit/debit cards because then everyone will switch to the OMNY system and they can phase out the Metro Cards then.  They want speed it and make that happen faster! Then again I know there are bugs and everything.  Let's see what happens in the October meeting and they talk about OMNY again.   Meanwhile I will hang on to the Metro card for now until everything switches to OMNY.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Yes that is the sad part like your reaction to my post.  The MTA wants to get things done right and have people to get their OMNY cards and they should give "unlimited monthly" to the OMNY card users so user can switch and ditch the Metro Card but then again if people take the NICE bus that is a problem because they don't have the OMNY readers yet.  If the NICE bus and the BEE line has OMNY readers then the MTA better have unlimited monthly option for the OMNY card and credit/debit cards because then everyone will switch to the OMNY system and they can phase out the Metro Cards then.  They want speed it and make that happen faster! Then again I know there are bugs and everything.  Let's see what happens in the October meeting and they talk about OMNY again.   Meanwhile I will hang on to the Metro card for now until everything switches to OMNY.

The reason I still haven't fully switched over is because of the lack of support for partner agencies. Metrocard is still universally accepted while OMNY is only supported by the MTA. My EasyPay card work just about everywhere except PATH (But for some odd reason it does work on the AirTrain.) But that means OMNY support is still needed for NICE, PATH, AirTrain, Roosevelt Island Tram, Hudson Rail Link, and Bee Line. That's a lot of services that still need support

12 hours ago, IAlam said:

The reason I still haven't fully switched over is because of the lack of support for partner agencies. Metrocard is still universally accepted while OMNY is only supported by the MTA. My EasyPay card work just about everywhere except PATH (But for some odd reason it does work on the AirTrain.) But that means OMNY support is still needed for NICE, PATH, AirTrain, Roosevelt Island Tram, Hudson Rail Link, and Bee Line. That's a lot of services that still need support

Yes that is correct and I have called the Bee Line and the rep I spoke with Mike he said it "should be in the Fall of 2023" but he is not sure but that is what he was told for the Bee Line.  The PATH they will have their own contactless system so I don't think they will have OMNY at all unless they change their mind or something.

EZpass was original though to be one huge system for everyone. Then the indiviudal agencies went their separate ways. While still inter-operable, each is locally managed, branded, and some charge "foreign" EZpass accounts as cash, like the NY Service Center. 

I don't know why PATH is bothering to change at all if they are ignoring OMNY. They already have a tap Quickcard. 

So today at lunch time during my work hours I decided to call the OMNY Customer service to see if the OMNY Vending machines were installed or not because the MTA meeting in April they said in June they will start to install the OMNY Vending machines and when I spoke with the rep guess what the magic word he said was?  So the magic word was "It's being DELAYED and push back again"  It's not surprising that they again delay it.  So I asked the rep about the Reduce Are Senior OMNY cards and the rep it will be mailed out BEFORE the end of 2023.  I said will it be "Delayed" and he said no it will not be delayed because I have not heard anything that will be delayed.  I said OK thanks.  OK Let's see what happens.

2 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

" he said no it will not be delayed because I have not heard anything that will be delayed. "

It will be deemed "delayed" only after they blow the next target date, which you can bet they will. 

Yes I agree with you.  I can't believe what they said but I just listen to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this and it is not a bad idea integrated with Citi Bike program with OMNY.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/06/08/manhattan-pol-wants-omny-to-work-with-citi-bike

Manhattan Pol Wants OMNY to Work With Citi Bike

Citi Bike could become even more popular if the MTA figured out a way to integrate it with the OMNY pay system.

It’s a fare idea!

Citi Bike could become even more popular if the MTA figured out a way to integrate OMNY, the new contactless fare system, with the Lyft-operated bike-share network, according to a Manhattan politician.

OMNY-Citi Bike integration “would remove another barrier to entry that would-be Citi Bikers face,” state Senator Brad Hoylman-Sigal (D-Midtown West) said in a letter this week to Lyft and MTA leadership.

“We urge you to create a unified payment system as expeditiously as possible,” he wrote.

OMNY compatibility could also address the scourge of vandalism of Citi Bike QR codes and identification numbers, which make the devices nearly impossible to rent.

“While more must be done to prevent and correct this type of vandalism, we also have to provide alternative means of payment to facilitate bike rentals,” Hoylman-Sigal said. 

Bike-share systems in cities from Paris to Pasadena have incorporated local transit passes, including in cities where Lyft operates the bike-share and the MTA’s OMNY contractor, Cubic, runs the contactless payment system.

However, none of Citi Bike’s tens of thousands of docks can currently support “open loop” contactless payment systems like OMNY, which allow for the use of official OMNY cards as well as contactless bank or credit cards, a Citi Bike source said.

In California, Lyft’s Bay Wheels program is able to be integrated into Cubic’s local transit fare network because they run on a “closed loop” system where riders can only pay by loading official cards with cash, according to the source. The Port Authority’s SmartLink card for PATH trains operates in the same manner.

Fare collection in New York is scattered across multiple agencies and levels of government. The MTA is in the process of integrating its commuter rails into OMNY, but riders must still use separate fare systems for bike-share, NYC Ferry, PATH, NJ Transit and Amtrak.

The idea to simplify the Big Apple’s balkanized fare collection system has gained momentum among advocates on social media in recent weeks. 

The MTA in fall of 2021 started selling the OMNY card, which is a closed-loop card that also uses the Mastercard payment network, allowing riders without bank accounts to pay in the OMNY system.

Citi Bikes could technically accept a closed-loop payment system like Bay Wheels do in the Golden State, but open-loop systems like OMNY require newer software and hardware to keep banking information secure, which would mean costly retrofits to the network of 60,000 docks in New York City, which are set to expand to 80,000 by the end of 2024, according to a source familiar with the technology.

Citi Bike is currently almost entirely funded by Lyft, while the Department of Transportation’s role is limited to siting stations.Transit systems in Los Angeles and Austin, Texas directly incorporate bike share into their agencies, and have one pass across both modes.

The New York region’s transit agencies, meanwhile, are notoriously fractured and territorial. Transit officials struggled to bring OMNY to their own commuter rail systems — to say nothing of the PATH train, whose operator the Port Authority now wants to create its own fare system separate from OMNY, which ironically stands for “One Metro New York.”

Helsinki and Singapore have tried to unify their transportation systems under one app, an effort experts label Mobility as a Service, or MaaS. The initiatives aim to reduce any friction for riders switching between modes, but the streamlining hasn’t necessarily lead to increase ridership, according to one researcher.

“It’s a nice-to-have, but not necessarily a huge game changer based on what we’ve seen in other places,” said David Zipper, a visiting fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School's Taubman Center for State and Local Government. 

Riders are generally okay with using different payment methods, Zipper said. The main driver of getting people out of cars is whether alternatives are widely available and affordable, he added — so officials would be better off investing in having more docks, especially close to transit.

Lyft spokesperson Jordan Levine said the company is “in touch with the MTA on the topic,” while MTA rep Eugene Resnick said authority officials are “reviewing opportunities for future expansion such as those called out in the Senator’s letter.”

Cubic spokesperson Bonnie Crawford said OMNY was "built as a platform allowing additional transit options including bike share to be incorporated over time."

"We are excited to hear of continued interest to deliver the benefits of OMNY to more New Yorkers and look forward to working with the MTA on expanding their vision of OMNY as a regional fare payment system utilized across many modes of travel," the rep added.

33 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Does anyone know if student omny cards are still on track for 2023-24 school year?? 

Good Question.  They should be because they said last year that in 2023 the student will get the OMNY cards but then again who knows everything is always delays.  Let's hope not.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, Chris89292 said:

Does anyone know if student omny cards are still on track for 2023-24 school year?? 

0 mention of it in any recent documents so I'd lean towards no it won't be ready, especially if they can't even get reduced-fare OMNY cards out the door yet.

• 1 month later...

I called OMNY because I want to know about the fare increase and  the NEW OMNY structure regarding any day that adds up to 12 rides.  Does anyone know that if they anyway day you can use OMNY can you skip a day or two and then use it again and so when it adds up to 12 rides you can get free for that week or once you use that week you have to keep continuing using the same week?  I asked the OMNY CS and they said they haven't been told any information regarding about that and the department will tell them 1 week ahead when they implement the fares.  So I also asked them about the OMNY vending machines and they said it was delayed last month when I called them so the rep said they will start next month.  Let's see if they are really going to start installing OMNY machines.

8 hours ago, 7-express said:

Some more recent OMNY news here: https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-billionth-tap-transit-omny/

Interestingly the number of OMNY users on buses seems stubbornly low versus the subway.

I feel like the MTA is just randomly choosing people to be the billionth tapper, I don’t believe there is an accurate count of taps, and where it’ll even happen, could’ve happened in Lexington Avenue, or herald square 

14 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

I feel like the MTA is just randomly choosing people to be the billionth tapper, I don’t believe there is an accurate count of taps, and where it’ll even happen, could’ve happened in Lexington Avenue, or herald square 

That's exactly how this stuff happens.  They probably just chose yesterday since the stat trends showed that they'll hit their billionth tap then. And then just picked a random rider at the station they were holding the press conference at to be the representative one.

Hello,

UPDATE OMNY REDUCE FARE PHYSICAL CARD INFO

While I was searching for OMNY reduce fare cards for seniors there will be a Info Session at a public library regarding physical OMNY reduce fare cards for seniors.  It will be at Kips Bay library 446 3rd Ave Monday August 7 from 4PM-5PM

Unfortunately I can't make it to the session because I get out of work at 4PM.  My parents have difficulty walking so they can't make it so I though I was going to go until I realize the time that they are presenting the info.  If they have that info coming out then the OMNY Reduce fare physical card will be mailing out very soon.  Then I called OMNY call center and I asked them when my parents get the OMNY card can I put there card on my account and the rep said yes and you can have 10 (ten) OMNY card on your account.  I also asked them about the OMNY vending machine installation and she said that they are installing them now but I don't see any of them in the subway stations.

56 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Hello,

UPDATE OMNY REDUCE FARE PHYSICAL CARD INFO

While I was searching for OMNY reduce fare cards for seniors there will be a Info Session at a public library regarding physical OMNY reduce fare cards for seniors.  It will be at Kips Bay library 446 3rd Ave Monday August 7 from 4PM-5PM

Unfortunately I can't make it to the session because I get out of work at 4PM.  My parents have difficulty walking so they can't make it so I though I was going to go until I realize the time that they are presenting the info.  If they have that info coming out then the OMNY Reduce fare physical card will be mailing out very soon.  Then I called OMNY call center and I asked them when my parents get the OMNY card can I put there card on my account and the rep said yes and you can have 10 (ten) OMNY card on your account.  I also asked them about the OMNY vending machine installation and she said that they are installing them now but I don't see any of them in the subway stations.

I have a feeling it will be pretty short on information on the physical reduced-fare OMNY card and probably more on how to link your digital wallet/smart device to the reduced-fare OMNY that has been going on for about a year now.  But that's just my cynical thinking here...

47 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I have a feeling it will be pretty short on information on the physical reduced-fare OMNY card and probably more on how to link your digital wallet/smart device to the reduced-fare OMNY that has been going on for about a year now.  But that's just my cynical thinking here...

Yes maybe your correct and I think mostly it;s going to be linking it but anyway I sent an email them and I have to get the reply to see what they say.  Well the digital wallet/smart device that I know but mostly I want to too know about the physical reduced-are OMNY cards.

37 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Saw this in the news and I can see how this would be affecting the other OMNY physical cards too.  I thought this chip shortage thing was over.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/sales-of-japan’s-most-convenient-train-ticket-shopping-payment-cards-suspended-indefinitely

I see.  I though it was over too because during the pandemic there was a printer shortage and computer laptop/desktop and toner shortage.  Now post pandemic there are printers and computer laptop/desktop and toners available now.  What I mentioned they all chips but I guess in some parts of the world there still shortage.

21 hours ago, 7-express said:

Ahhh yes you are CORRECT.  They replied me and they said below:

Hello Mike,
Thank you for contacting the office of Council Member Carlina Rivera regarding our info session. The MTA will be assisting constituents submit their reduced fare application as well as providing general information on how to navigate the OMNY system. No OMNY cards will be provided. The MTA will automatically mail OMNY cards later this year to people in the reduced fare program.

Best,
Bianny Rodriguez

They should have specified that there be NO physical OMNY card given out at the event.

Edited by mikecintel

3 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Ahhh yes you are CORRECT.  They replied me and they said below:

Hello Mike,
Thank you for contacting the office of Council Member Carlina Rivera regarding our info session. The MTA will be assisting constituents submit their reduced fare application as well as providing general information on how to navigate the OMNY system. No OMNY cards will be provided. The MTA will automatically mail OMNY cards later this year to people in the reduced fare program.

Best,
Bianny Rodriguez

They should have specified that there be NO physical OMNY card given out at the event.

At this point, they'll probably just mail out the first physical cards before the December holidays to say they crossed the finish line and will just continue the roll out in 2024.  They need to roll out physical reduced-fare and student cards in 2024 so they have enough time to work out bugs or else they'll never make the 2025 EOL deadline for the MetroCard.

I have a tiny checking account at Citizens Bank with no fees, no minimums used solely for OMNY and commuter train ticket purchases. I applied for a senior Metrocard for no other reason than to get its serial number and convert my OMNY account to senior. I see no reason to ever get an actual OMNY card. 

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

At this point, they'll probably just mail out the first physical cards before the December holidays to say they crossed the finish line and will just continue the roll out in 2024.  They need to roll out physical reduced-fare and student cards in 2024 so they have enough time to work out bugs or else they'll never make the 2025 EOL deadline for the MetroCard.

Yes I will post an update when my parents gets the OMNY physical card.  Yes true so that means we have 2 years to get ready to say good bye to the good old Metro Card.  I hope they don't extend it further like 2026 and later.  Let's see what happens and BTW another OMNY meeting is set for October 2023 so there will be an update in 2 months so that's good news.

4 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

I have a tiny checking account at Citizens Bank with no fees, no minimums used solely for OMNY and commuter train ticket purchases. I applied for a senior Metrocard for no other reason than to get its serial number and convert my OMNY account to senior. I see no reason to ever get an actual OMNY card. 

Yes that is true but some senior citizen still don't know how to use a smartphone and they don't have debit card or credit card so I understand why some people will need an actual OMNY Card.