OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

That is a silly article. So what if Long Island and Orange County have different fare structures. Nobody in the Hamptons cares what it costs to go to Port Jervis. They are different markets with varying demand with differing cost structures. What is merging fare zones going to accomplish other than causing huge cliffs from one zone to the next, causing people to drive closer in ? Look at the jump from Zone 4 to 7 and 12 to 14 on the LIRR, who went overboard merging fare zones in the 19780's. None of that has anything to do with OMNY. OMNY is here to serve us, not for us to serve OMNY. They make like OMNY are the holy tablets to abide by. 

Edited by Amtrak41

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

That is a silly article. So what if Long Island and Orange County have different fare structures. Nobody in the Hamptons cares what it costs to go to Port Jervis. They are different markets with varying demand with differing cost structures. What is merging fare zones going to accomplish other than causing huge cliffs from one zone to the next, causing people to drive closer in ? Look at the jump from Zone 4 to 7 and 12 to 14 on the LIRR, who went overboard merging fare zones in the 19780's. None of that has anything to do with OMNY. OMNY is here to serve us, not for us to serve OMNY. They make like OMNY are the holy tablets to abide by. 

Yes that is true what you are saying.  If they merge the zone and pay OMNY I am guessing you just just pay one fare like LIRR zone 5 to and transfer at GC or Penn Station for the MNR Zone 5 and that it and it even include a transfer.  Maybe I am wrong but that does sound good to me IF they did that.

11 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I just read an UPDATE for the LIRR/MNR regarding OMNY an Advocate group is calling for more simplify structure for the LIRR/MNR.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/10/10/the-mta-has-a-long-way-to-go-to-make-omny-great-report

The MTA Has A Long Way To Go To Make OMNY Great: Report

The chart in the article makes it more clear why they focused on the 7 day cap first, and possibly the 30 day cap next.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, mikecintel said:

Yes I went to login and I click on trips and charges and it says "This feature has been removed while we evaluate new tools to serve our customers."  They must be working on something new.

I just noticed that too, which is very unfortunate because it's the only way for me to know if I've been overcharged or not for a bad tap.  I do hope they restore it soon.  I wonder if this has to do with that security issue they noticed a while back.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:30 PM, N6 Limited said:

The chart in the article makes it more clear why they focused on the 7 day cap first, and possibly the 30 day cap next.

I see.  **Hopefully** they will have a 30 day cap because it will be "useless" if they don't make a 30 day cap because people do buy the "monthly" Metro Card and it should be comparable to the Metro Card in OMNY.  If they don't I bet a lot of people will complain and I don't think the MTA wants that.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

I just noticed that too, which is very unfortunate because it's the only way for me to know if I've been overcharged or not for a bad tap.  I do hope they restore it soon.  I wonder if this has to do with that security issue they noticed a while back.

Yes I it has to do with the security issue so that is why they are doing that.  Before I said I "They must be working on a new feature" and then I realized I was wrong after I post it but then it was too late to edit my comments because I think you get 10 or 15 minutes to edit your comments before it becomes permanent.

Edited by mikecintel

Oh good, it's not just me that has the trip history feature not working! So irritating. They really can't get anything right. It's hard to tell from the payment history alone if I get overcharged, because sometimes the fares seem to be broken down into weird increments for no apparent reason (like an exp fare that shows as a $6.60 charge and then a separate 40 cent charge. Huh??)

PANYNJ posted a FAQ for OMNY on Airtrain and this interesting tidbit showed up. Maybe OMNY is back on the table for PATH, maybe not

https://www.jfkairport.com/announcements/airtrain-contactless-payments-faqs

2) Why is this happening?

In an effort to improve customer experience, the Port Authority of NY & NJ (PANYNJ) is collaborating with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to unite their separate payment systems, through OMNY, allowing customers to travel seamlessly to and from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) as well as through the New York public transportation system.

4 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

PANYNJ posted a FAQ for OMNY on Airtrain and this interesting tidbit showed up. Maybe OMNY is back on the table for PATH, maybe not

https://www.jfkairport.com/announcements/airtrain-contactless-payments-faqs

In an effort to improve customer experience, the Port Authority of NY & NJ (PANYNJ) is collaborating with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to unite their separate payment systems, through OMNY, allowing customers to travel seamlessly to and from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) as well as through the New York public transportation system.

Maybe OMNY will be back but if not I think that is stupid if the PATH goes a different route because then people who take the subway and the PATH then have to pay a different way if the PATH change the payment system.  Just like with the Metro Cards I think they should have what is comparable to the Metro card turnstile to accept Metro Cards.  They should have OMNY readers to accept the OMNY payment.  IF they just change the payment it is a waste of time money if they take that approach.  That is my opinion though.

3) What does OMNY have to do with this?

OMNY is the contactless fare payment system for public transportation in the New York region. Over time OMNY plans to unify New York’s subways, buses paratransit and commuter rails. AirTrain JFK is OMNY’s newest addition through partnership with the Port Authority.

For more information about OMNY, visit https://omny.info/

Do note what they did NOT say: PATH is not specifically mentioned above. 

• 2 weeks later...

OMNY VENDING MACHINES ARE AVAILABLE NOW! "Selected stations"

https://new.mta.info/article/introducing-omny-vending-machines

Introducing OMNY vending machines

We're installing OMNY vending machines at select subway stations. Here's what you need to know.

You can now buy or reload an OMNY card at our new vending machines at select subway stations. Enjoy the convenience of tap-and-go payment and all the benefits of OMNY, including our 7-day fare cap, with a card you can buy and reload at your local subway station just like MetroCard.

As a limited-time introductory offer, you can buy a new reloadable card for $1. That's the same price as a new MetroCard, even though OMNY cards last for years. You can also buy a new Single-Ride OMNY ticket for $3.25. You can pay with cash, a credit or debit card, or a smart device.

Look for OMNY vending machines at these locations:

86 St (4)(5)(6)  at the Downtown and Brooklyn entrance
Atlantic Av-Barclays Center (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(4)(5)

At the Atlantic Av/Flatbush Av/Barclays Ctr entrance
At the Pacific St/4 Av entrance

Bowling Green(4)(5)
Fordham Rd (B)(D)at the E 188 St/Grand Concourse entrance
Junction Blvd (7)

We're piloting the use of OMNY vending machines at these six stations so we can gather feedback from customers before expanding availability to more stations. During the pilot, you may see machines in other stations that are installed but not available for use while we evaluate customer feedback from the pilot. Eventually, OMNY vending machines will be available in all 472 subway stations as we prepare to retire MetroCard. OMNY cards are also available at retail locations throughout the region. 

From Facebook:

Now arriving at a station near you: OMNY Card vending machines!

You can now easily buy and reload an OMNY Card with cash, card, or digital wallet at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, Bowling Green, Fordham Rd (B/D & 4), Junction Blvd, and 86 St (4/5/6).

During the pilot, OMNY cards purchased at vending machines will have a $1 new card fee, just like MetroCard.

Pro tip: If you have a contactless bank card or digital wallet, you can skip this fee by using your existing payment method instead of buying an OMNY card.

OMNY Card machines will be added to additional stations on a rolling basis through 2024, and MetroCard machines will continue to be available at all stations throughout the rollout.

Machines are functional as of today, and new cards bought from them are temporarily $1. The photo also shows an OMNY ticket of some sort.

However, the press release says the cards are good for up to 5 years, but the OMNY cards bought from retailers earlier have later expiration dates. Mine says 2028 for example and I bought it in 2021.

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-first-omny-card-vending-machines-available-customers

EDIT Mike's post beat mine by a few minutes

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

19 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Machines are functional as of today, and new cards bought from them are temporarily $1. The photo also shows an OMNY ticket of some sort.

However, the press release says the cards are good for up to 5 years, but the OMNY cards bought from retailers earlier have later expiration dates. Mine says 2028 for example and I bought it in 2021.

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-first-omny-card-vending-machines-available-customers

EDIT Mike's post beat mine by a few minutes

I didn't know I beat you by a few minutes.  I just happen to be on the MTA website to look something up.  If you remember they said it last 7 years for the OMNY card https://www.silive.com/news/2023/04/mtas-omny-card-vending-machines-coming-to-nyc-this-fall.html OMNY cards do not expire until seven years after their purchase date, as opposed to MetroCards, which expire in 18 months. I guess they did typo.  My question is why are we charged $5 in store if we purchase it and now for the "pilot" it is only for $1.  That makes no sense at all and if I think about it looks like their "ripping us off" but then I guess it is for the packaging and stuff.  Maybe when it is in every station it will be $5.  The OMNY card should be $1 and no more just like the Metro Card.

Edited by mikecintel

12 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

I didn't know I beat you by a few minutes.  I just happen to be on the MTA website to look something up.  If you remember they said it last 7 years for the OMNY card https://www.silive.com/news/2023/04/mtas-omny-card-vending-machines-coming-to-nyc-this-fall.html OMNY cards do not expire until seven years after their purchase date, as opposed to MetroCards, which expire in 18 months. I guess they did typo.  My question is why are we charged $5 in store if we purchase it and now for the "pilot" it is only for $1.  That makes no sense at all and if I think about it looks like their "ripping us off" but then I guess it is for the packaging and stuff.  Maybe when it is in every station it will be $5.  The OMNY card should be $1 and no more just like the Metro Card.

If I had to fathom a guess, the retailers definitely take a percentage of each OMNY transaction so I’m guessing to offset it, it’s a $5 fee as opposed to if MTA collects directly, it’ll only be $1 fee. Unsure if they’ll change that going forward but I think it’s likely as no one would buy an OMNY card from a retailer otherwise.

9 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

If I had to fathom a guess, the retailers definitely take a percentage of each OMNY transaction so I’m guessing to offset it, it’s a $5 fee as opposed to if MTA collects directly, it’ll only be $1 fee. Unsure if they’ll change that going forward but I think it’s likely as no one would buy an OMNY card from a retailer otherwise.

Yes now that you mention it, it makes sense.  I hope the MTA will NOT change it because a lot can't afford to shell out $5 for a OMNY card.  Yes I agree if you can pay a cheaper price in the vending machine why not go to a vending machine but then when you pay the $5 then you get an "extended" expire date by 2 year extra.

All good Mike, I posted mine at almost the same time so just wanted to note that in case the mods saw 2 similar postd.

As to the different card fee, maybe the MTA is selling cards at cost or at a loss to drive adoption for any remaining holdouts before 2024. The $5 also gives people incentive to hold on to the card until it expires, but that cost is a bit high even for those who can afford it. $2-$3 is reasonable, especially because occasional users can mainly use their own payment cards and are not forced to buy a card, like what DC has with their Smartrip cards. I cant imagine it costs more than that to produce an OMNY card. 

For comparison, some other cities that I've visited and their transit card costs.

DC $2 for Smartrip, must use on the metro

Toronto CA$6 for Presto, just introduced open payments a few months ago

Montreal CA$6 for Opus but no fee tickets are available

Vancouver CA$6 refudable deposit for Compass, open payment and single tickets both available at higher cash rates.

London Oyster 5GBP, available for transit use after a year. Full open payment available

Seoul W2500-4000 for a Tmoney card, cash reloads only. Single use tickets available with a refundable deposit

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

13 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

All good Mike, I posted mine at almost the same time so just wanted to note that in case the mods saw 2 similar postd.

As to the different card fee, maybe the MTA is selling cards at cost or at a loss to drive adoption for any remaining holdouts before 2024. The $5 also gives people incentive to hold on to the card until it expires, but that cost is a bit high even for those who can afford it. $2-$3 is reasonable, especially because occasional users can mainly use their own payment cards and are not forced to buy a card, like what DC has with their Smartrip cards. I cant imagine it costs more than that to produce an OMNY card. 

Got it I see.  Yes maybe their making it a bit lower so that people won't have to shell out all that money. I know I will buy one because I lost 2 OMNY cards already and I paid $ 5 card+5 card = $10 + $1 fee+$1 fee so total would be $12 OMNY card.  Even I will buy one but I will not use it until the Metro Card is all retired because I will need the 30 unlimited since I am going to work 4 days and 1 remote day for now.  Yes agree it should be $2 or $3 that is very reasonable.  Even in Toronto it is $6 to purchase the card but they lowered to $4 a card.  They lowered down as of August 8,2023.  If Toronto can lower the price the MTA should lower price too but then that's a different country Canada.

33 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

For comparison, some other cities that I've visited and their transit card costs.

DC $2 for Smartrip, must use on the metro

Toronto CA$6 for Presto, just introduced open payments a few months ago

Montreal CA$6 for Opus but no fee tickets are available

Vancouver CA$6 refudable deposit for Compass, open payment and single tickets both available at higher cash rates.

London Oyster 5GBP, available for transit use after a year. Full open payment available

Seoul W2500-4000 for a Tmoney card, cash reloads only. Single use tickets available with a refundable deposit

Thank you for the comparisons it is very helpful.

OMNY Vending Machine Pilot for "30 DAYS" from today 10-30-23.  Then "probably" the fee might go to $5 like what you buy from the retail stores.  If you need an OMNY card now before they raise price after the 30 DAYS are over.  I suggest anyone to get is NOW!  Regarding the Metro Cards there is still life left and it will be 18 Months away before they turn off the Metro Card.  The only difference it the expiration date if you buy from the vending machine it expires in 5 years and if you buy from a retailer it will expire 7 years.  I read it from here:

https://nypost.com/2023/10/30/metro/mta-switches-first-omny-vending-machines-on-claims-delayed-program-back-on-track/

Edited by mikecintel

12 hours ago, mikecintel said:

OMNY Vending Machine Pilot for "30 DAYS" from today 10-30-23.  Then "probably" the fee might go to $5 like what you buy from the retail stores. 

They probably won't raise the fee back to $5 until some time after all stations have the machines. Should give time for more people who need the card to get it.