OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

I just got a generic email about the Reduce Fare Metro Card and telling you switch to OMNY Reduce Fare.  Below is the generic email:

Your Reduced-Fare MetroCard is expiring, switch to OMNY today!

Dear MTA Reduced-Fare Customer,

Your Reduced-Fare MetroCard expires later this year, and it may be the last MetroCard you ever need!

You can switch to OMNY – our tap and go fare payment system – and start tapping to pay your fare today on buses, subways, and the Staten Island Railway. You don’t need to reapply. You’ll still get reduced fares and free transfers – and you will never have to stand in line to reload your MetroCard again! Just put your reduced-fare benefit on a contactless credit or debit card with this symbol <<< or a smartphone with a digital wallet. 

Ready to tap? Visit omny.info today, have your chosen payment card or device and your current Reduced-Fare MetroCard handy, and follow these steps to register:  

1. Create a free and secure OMNY account by clicking the “Register” button on the top right of the page and following set-up instructions.

2. Open the “Digital Assistant” in the lower right corner of the homepage, log in to your account, and select “Switch from Reduced-Fare MetroCard to OMNY.”  

3. Follow the steps to connect your Reduced-Fare benefit to your card or device.

If you need help:

(Bullet) Visit new.mta.info/omny-reduced-fare for more information and a how-to video

(Bullet) Call OMNY Customer Service at 877-789-6669, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., 7 days a week

Not ready to tap? That’s ok. When your Reduced-Fare MetroCard nears its expiration date, we will mail you a new one or send a Reduced-Fare OMNY card, which will become available later this year. Whether you decide to start tapping with your card or device now, or wait for a Reduced-Fare OMNY card, you can keep using your MetroCard until you use up any remaining value or your card expires.

Start tapping today! It’s the fast, easy way to pay for your reduced fare trips.

Sincerely,
The RF team

Please note we’ve updated the MTA Reduced-Fare Program Terms and Conditions of Use to include OMNY.  See them here: https://new.mta.info/fares/reduced-fare/terms-conditions

Edited by mikecintel

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got my Senior Metrocard today, not that it will ever see the light of day, except for maybe a NICE Bus, not that I plan to do so. All I need is its serial number so as to pair it off with my OMNY Debit card, which I diid. They should give you the option of getting a Virtual MC and save the expense making a useless card.  

8 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

I just got my Senior Metrocard today, not that it will ever see the light of day, except for maybe a NICE Bus, not that I plan to do so. All I need is its serial number so as to pair it off with my OMNY Debit card, which I diid. They should give you the option of getting a Virtual MC and save the expense making a useless card.  

I thought they send you an OMNY senior card.  Yes what you said is correct about putting in the OMNY Debit card.

37 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I wonder if they'll start giving NYC Public School Students OMNY cards over metro cards at some point soon. 

Last year the MTA said it will be this coming Fall school year they will distribute the OMNY card to students.  Let's see if that is true or they will wait until next year 2024.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I thought about this while using metrocard, how will riders know immediately if they got a free transfer, if the screen just says “GO”?

You will not using OMNY.  You will have to login to your OMNY account if you created an account and then it will say free transfer.  You know they can modify the software so it can display the "Transfer or Xfer" like the Metro card machine swipe on the subway/buses. 

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I thought about this while using metrocard, how will riders know immediately if they got a free transfer, if the screen just says “GO”?

Easiest solution is just to link whatever payment method you use for OMNY to your OMNY account online. You can log-in and see what you were charged.  Sometimes I'm surprised to learn that I get a SECOND transfer thereby saving me a fare.  What's important is that you use the same payment method for your entire trip, so if you tap with your phone to start, continue to do so for the trip and the OMNY reader will see the transfer stored and apply it to your trip.  Now yesterday OMNY was down so you couldn't see anything. It's up today, but I can tell what I was charged just by looking at my balance on OMNY card.

5 hours ago, mikecintel said:

You will not using OMNY.  You will have to login to your OMNY account if you created an account and then it will say free transfer.  You know they can modify the software so it can display the "Transfer or Xfer" like the Metro card machine swipe on the subway/buses. 

I prefer it just saying "GO".  The screen is so big that everyone would be able to see your information. That's another reason I switched to any OMNY card was because I don't want my card information displayed when tapping... People can see what bank you bank with your credit cards, card info, etc. all while tapping. No thanks.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Easiest solution is just to link whatever payment method you use for OMNY to your OMNY account online. You can log-in and see what you were charged.  Sometimes I'm surprised to learn that I get a SECOND transfer thereby saving me a fare.  What's important is that you use the same payment method for your entire trip, so if you tap with your phone to start, continue to do so for the trip and the OMNY reader will see the transfer stored and apply it to your trip.  Now yesterday OMNY was down so you couldn't see anything. It's up today, but I can tell what I was charged just by looking at my balance on OMNY card.

I prefer it just saying "GO".  The screen is so big that everyone would be able to see your information. That's another reason I switched to any OMNY card was because I don't want my card information displayed when tapping... People can see what bank you bank with your credit cards, card info, etc. all while tapping. No thanks.

Yes I had a 2nd transfer last year but then it was a glitch in the system.  Now I don't have that anymore.  Lucky you they have that for you.  Yes true what you said is the screen is so big people can see your info but if it only says transfer then it should be OK because it will not display other things.

29 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Yes I had a 2nd transfer last year but then it was a glitch in the system.  Now I don't have that anymore.  Lucky you they have that for you.  Yes true what you said is the screen is so big people can see your info but if it only says transfer then it should be OK because it will not display other things.

I don't know when I get it and why until I check my account later on and I believe twice now I've had it, but they are trips I do all the time, so I'm not sure what led to the second transfer.  As for the screen, if they programmed it only to show Xfer, sure, but anything more than that wouldn't be good. The Metrocard screen showed more in part because most people could not see their transactions online so easily (some people were aware and could, esp. if they had an EasyPay Metrocard, but most could not).  With OMNY anyone can.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know when I get it and why until I check my account later on and I believe twice now I've had it, but they are trips I do all the time, so I'm not sure what led to the second transfer.  As for the screen, if they programmed it only to show Xfer, sure, but anything more than that wouldn't be good. The Metrocard screen showed more in part because most people could not see their transactions online so easily (some people were aware and could, esp. if they had an EasyPay Metrocard, but most could not).  With OMNY anyone can.

Yes I agree with you.  They SHOULD program it to only show Xfer and nothing more.  I see about the Metro cards.  Agreed 100% with you.  Using OMNY if displaying what is left on the screen anyone can see if they show the balance left on the card.  Also I am looking forward to the March meeting because they will talk about the OMNY program again.

On 2/18/2023 at 3:26 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've noticed this as well it's only certain trips too, I went as far as reading the entire MTA tariffs doc to find nothing on it either. 

On 2/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'd also add the amount on the card for those using reloadable OMNY cards, it could just be on the bottom or top.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

I've noticed this as well it's only certain trips too, I went as far as reading the entire MTA tariffs doc to find nothing on it either. 

I'd also add the amount on the card for those using reloadable OMNY cards, it could just be on the bottom or top.

If you're tapping with your phone that is linked to a credit or debit card, I don't know how that would work.  Probably one of those things that's either all in or nothing.

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If you're tapping with your phone that is linked to a credit or debit card, I don't know how that would work.  Probably one of those things that's either all in or nothing.

I'm not sure how their system works but it shouldn't be that hard, it's not 90-era computers and technology they're working with. Just a couple extra if/else conditions in the code are needed to differentiate what type of card/device is being used. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the metadata it identifies what type of card is being used. 

39 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I'm not sure how their system works but it shouldn't be that hard, it's not 90-era computers and technology they're working with. Just a couple extra if/else conditions in the code are needed to differentiate what type of card/device is being used. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the metadata it identifies what type of card is being used. 

True, but unfortunately, a lot of the delays with the rollout of OMNY has been due to software issues.

They’ve been ambiguous with OMNY implementation on the Railroads. They’ve mentioned an OMNY app, but that’s about it.

I think it would help if an OMNY card could be used as a payment method to purchase tickets at TVMs (if for example someone has commuter benefits tied to their OMNY card since some do not have nfc cards). Perhaps that could invoke transfer discounts between railroads and bus/subway.

11 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

They’ve been ambiguous with OMNY implementation on the Railroads. They’ve mentioned an OMNY app, but that’s about it.

I think it would help if an OMNY card could be used as a payment method to purchase tickets at TVMs (if for example someone has commuter benefits tied to their OMNY card since some do not have nfc cards). Perhaps that could invoke transfer discounts between railroads and bus/subway.

They've been ambiguous about it on the railroads because they keep pushing back the next phases due to programming issues.  I've inquired about it and it's been pushed back yet again.  They likely aren't pushing it because people can already buy e-tickets, BUT if the new set up is supposed to include free transfers or anything like that, then that's where riders lose out.  Personally it has meant that I don't take the Hudson Raillink shuttle anymore because I don't use a Metrocard anymore and that's the only payment method those buses take, so when I do take Metro-North if the weather is nice I will do the ~15 minute walk or just go by car.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

That would be so nice IF they implement with the OMNY card using the LIRR/MNR.  If they did that and you can buy tickets with OMNY card where you punch in the starting destination to end destination on the vending machine and after that you can scan the bar code on the OMNY card that would be great. Then when you board the train the conductor can just scan your OMNY for verification to see where you start and end your destination at.  Then no more need for tickets anymore.  Some people don't have smartphones and only even have dumb phone.

While we can't know for sure until the system is implemented, I'm fairly confident that the system would be a tap-on-and-off system where the conductor just checks to see you tapped on. It would probably be something similar to what agencies like SEPTA, and Go Transit currently do. 

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The minimum card reload amount on the OMNY site is now $5.50, used to be $1. This was a very recent change

I can't find it on the OMNY website in the "terms and conditions".  So it is not for purchasing the card right? When I go to the OMNY website it still says "This OMNY card costs $5 to purchase and must be loaded with a minimum of $1 or a fare product at the time of purchase. For more information on fees, please see omny.info/terms-of-service, or contact OMNY customer service at omny.info/contact or (877) 789-6669." 

Where did you get the information?  Wow that is steep from $1 to $5.50.  Wow it is a $4.50 increase! If that happens and when you purchase an OMNY card you need to load a minimum of $5.50 you have to load it and add with $5 with the card then the total price of the OMNY card will be $10.50!.  For $0.25 more I can take from Zone 3 to Zone 1 on the LIRR peak fare for that amount.  That is price gouging but then now with the current economy it's "inflation"

Edited by mikecintel

5 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Trying to reload my card on the OMNY site myself. I don't know if this change affects the load required when you buy a card. 

OK I see.  Yes when I logged into my OMNY account it does say that.  WOW if the MTA does implement that when you buy a new OMNY people will have riot and then you will see it on the news.  Thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The minimum card reload amount on the OMNY site is now $5.50, used to be $1. This was a very recent change

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I can't find it on the OMNY website in the "terms and conditions".  So it is not for purchasing the card right? When I go to the OMNY website it still says "This OMNY card costs $5 to purchase and must be loaded with a minimum of $1 or a fare product at the time of purchase. For more information on fees, please see omny.info/terms-of-service, or contact OMNY customer service at omny.info/contact or (877) 789-6669." 

Where did you get the information?  Wow that is steep from $1 to $5.50.  Wow it is a $4.50 increase! If that happens and when you purchase an OMNY card you need to load a minimum of $5.50 you have to load it and add with $5 with the card then the total price of the OMNY card will be $10.50!.  For $0.25 more I can take from Zone 3 to Zone 1 on the LIRR peak fare for that amount.  That is price gouging but then now with the current economy it's "inflation"

2 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Trying to reload my card on the OMNY site myself. I don't know if this change affects the load required when you buy a card. 

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

OK I see.  Yes when I logged into my OMNY account it does say that.  WOW if the MTA does implement that when you buy a new OMNY people will have riot and then you will see it on the news.  Thanks for the update.

I needed to reload my card today while I was out and thought it was just because I was using my phone, but yeah, the change must've happened a few days ago. Pretty annoying.  I put enough for about six express bus rides.  Normally I just put enough for three or so rides, since I only use transit now once or twice a week max.  

They must be getting too many processing fees from people loading a $dollar or two on the card.  $5.50 represents two rides on the local bus or subway.