OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

Decided to make a thread dedicated to the OMNY Card and the Metrocard to keep the discussion together.

PHASE 1: LATE MAY 2019-DECEMBER 2019

Activate OMNY readers on the (4)(5)(6) lines from Grand Central-42nd St to Atlantic Avenue.

All buses on Staten Island will be equipped with the new readers and will activate late May. This allows riders to pay with their phone or other contactless options.

Currently being tested by internal employees at select stations (as of April)

PHASE 2 PREPARATION: JUNE 2019-DECEMBER 2019

Install readers at more stations and buses, tweaking the program based on public feedback as the pilot is active.

In December, all additional subway stations with OMNY readers go online, and the resume of OMNY installation in the rest of the buses goes on.

PHASE 2: 2020

Install readers at remaining subway stations and buses.

PHASE 3: 2021

Introduce the OMNY card, and incorporate e-tix (MNRR and LIRR) into the card. 

PHASE 4: 2022

Install OMNY vending machines in subway, Metro North and Long Island Railroad stations, remove existing Metrocard Vending machines.

PHASE 5: 2023

Metrocard now retired, OMNY card now in full effect across the whole system.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're rolling this out pretty quickly already. They seem to be putting one reader at one turnstile per entrance. Blank plates are already being replaced with lit-up tap screens at places like Fulton St. 

1 hour ago, rbrome said:

They're rolling this out pretty quickly already. They seem to be putting one reader at one turnstile per entrance. Blank plates are already being replaced with lit-up tap screens at places like Fulton St. 

I'm glad, tired of the dated MetroCard..

On 3/30/2019 at 4:13 PM, Interested Rider said:

I remember when Metrocard was rolled out and the first place was Staten Island. I was working on Staten Island at that time and opted for the unlimited card as soon as it went systemwide along with the tax benefits. 

It must be about 20 years..

Yep, system wide monthly unlimited for $63, those were the days.

52 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Is the OMNY tap and go card also projected to spread to the Westchester Bee Line as well to replace the MetroCard there?

On this topic, will the readers on NICE bus which take metrocard be replaced?

How will LIRR/MNR incorporate the technology? My thoughts are tap before you board at a reader on the platform and then a conductor taps the card as he goes around or something like that. Thoughts? (be civil...)

31 minutes ago, ibroketheprinter said:

How will LIRR/MNR incorporate the technology? My thoughts are tap before you board at a reader on the platform and then a conductor taps the card as he goes around or something like that. Thoughts? (be civil...)

I think once the OMNY card is released, Bee Line and NICE will start getting the readers, so this is in 2021.

18 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

I think it’s tap on the platform and tap off at destination. 

If you don’t tap off it’s charged the highest possible price NY-Poughkeepsie or NY- Greenport

Random inspections on board to see if you tapped on, if not it’s a big fine like SBS.

Works wonders in other commuter system, less farebeating and less labor required.

Not sure if the LIRR/MNR unions will agree to this policy though

Edited by Mtatransit

24 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I think it’s tap on the platform and tap off at destination. 

If you don’t tap off it’s charged the highest possible price NY-Poughkeepsie or NY- Greenport

Random inspections on board to see if you tapped on, if not it’s a big fine like SBS.

Works wonders in other commuter system, less farebeating and less labor required.

Not sure if the LIRR/MNR unions will agree to this policy though

Why? That's a dumb design. Just have the same mobile payment on board.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Why? That's a dumb design. Just have the same mobile payment on board.

Because you're supposed to activate in advance, and most people don't do that and try to scam the system.  Same set up in Europe basically.  Have your ticket punched or activated before boarding the train.

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

From what I've seen they've been using their phones (I assume Apple Pay or something of that nature) and and all white on both sides smart card.

I wonder how they're able to do it. I havent tried it but what would happen if a regular customer tries using apple pay?

I was just speaking with one of my contacts over the phone about OMNY a few minutes ago. It came up because we were talking about a Transit Round Table that the Express Bus Advoacy Group will be attending this week.  It seems as if it won't be fully operational for quite some time Citywide unfortunately, but as I told my contact, at least it is moving forward.  The full presentation on OMNY was shared in my group I believe last week, and I expect us to discuss it a bit further in the upcoming meeting with Senator Biaggi and other elected officials.  The (MTA) and DOT has been invited as well.

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was just speaking with one of my contacts over the phone about OMNY a few minutes ago. It came up because we were talking about a Transit Round Table that the Express Bus Advoacy Group will be attending this week.  It seems as if it won't be fully operational for quite some time Citywide unfortunately, but as I told my contact, at least it is moving forward.  The full presentation on OMNY was shared in my group I believe last week, and I expect us to discuss it a bit further in the upcoming meeting with Senator Biaggi and other elected officials.  The (MTA) and DOT has been invited as well.

So Staten Island is suppose to be the first boro to receive the machines on the buses?