OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

On 10/22/2022 at 3:16 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I spoke with the (MTA) yesterday briefly, but not about any fare issues. I don't know anything about Best Fare. What is it exactly?

Hmm I'm speculating here but to me that sounds like something for the railroads.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The physical OMNY card DOES have a fee. You pay a fee to buy it, so that's the fee. You cannot use it if you don't pay the fee and load money on it to activate it.

Sorry I meant the Physical OMNY card DOES have a fee but what I meant was the virtual OMNY should NOT have a fee because that would be stupid a lot of people would complain.

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

The MTA has a new video out about how to use OMNY for reduced-fare customers.  But it doesn't really show anything new that wasn't already possible over the summer...just documenting it so people can see how to do it.

Only tidbit is special reduced-fare OMNY cards coming next year for folks who want one, which is the same that was listed in this months board meeting notes.  Guess we'll have to wait till spring or later for more news.

Yes we will have to wait for the Next meeting which will be in March 2023 and let's hope they don't delay talking about OMNY like in September.

When I got home from work I Just finishing seeing the meeting.  What they said in the meeting was the OMNY Reduce fare physical cards will be send out to reduce fare customer next year beginning of 2023 but did not specify what month.  The Best Fares is referring to fare capping.  It's very confusing they are using the words "Best Fares" meaning after 12 rides it is the "best fare".  For installing Vending machines they began in last month Sept 2022 and plans to finishing install the whole system by Oct 2023.  As for the software vending machine deployment they will start 1quater of 2023 and complete the software deployment 1 quarter of 2024.  The project is ON budget but BEHIND schedule.  As for the LIRR/MNR the OMNY machine they will still in design and they think it will be completed in 2024/2025.

I want a senior OMNY account, but not a physical card, just continue with my Debit card. It sounds like you can only do that by transitioning from a Senior Metrocard, which I never had. The last time I used Metrocard was a couple of years ago before I was 65.

So I just applied for Senior Metrocard, which I should have in two weeks. It will never leave my house, and I will transition it to my Debit card.

5 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

I want a senior OMNY account, but not a physical card, just continue with my Debit card. It sounds like you can only do that by transitioning from a Senior Metrocard, which I never had. The last time I used Metrocard was a couple of years ago before I was 65.

So I just applied for Senior Metrocard, which I should have in two weeks. It will never leave my house, and I will transition it to my Debit card.

Do you mean you don't want a physical OMNY card for senior citizen?  Yes you are correct you can only do that by transition from a Senior Metro card.  OK yes sounds great wait for your Senior Metro Card and transfer to your Debit card.  Better yet there will be a "virtual OMNY card" coming soon and you won't even need a psychical card. I don't know how comfortable using your smartphone to tap and go.  Me personally I would never use my smartphone for tap and go.  I would want a physical card which I have and it is the OMNY card.

I don't like to wave my phone around in public. I keep it strapped in my belt holster.

I am too cheap to buy an OMNY card.

I have a special bank account with no minimum balance, no fees, and keep a minimum of $2.75 in it or whatever I anticipate for planned trips. I also use the card to buy LIRR westbound tickets. I use Traintime eTix for eastbound trips on my phone. That debit card is in a clear acrylic case attached to a chained belt rail normally used for keys. Then I don't have to take my wallet out to get to it. I have transferred from NJT to LIRR with as little as 2 minutes to spare. I'm a tourist from New Jersey.

But given the crime, I will no longer use the subway, only a bus within Manhattan, or the Q32, or the LIRR, or NYC Ferry to get to Queens.

Too bad NYC Ferry doesn't accept it, but I also applied for their senior discount. It comes down to bringing their approval letter to the manned ticket booth at Pier 11.

8 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

I don't like to wave my phone around in public. I keep it strapped in my belt holster.

I am too cheap to buy an OMNY card.

I have a special bank account with no minimum balance, no fees, and keep a minimum of $2.75 in it or whatever I anticipate for planned trips. I also use the card to buy LIRR westbound tickets. I use Traintime eTix for eastbound trips on my phone. That debit card is in a clear acrylic case attached to a chained belt rail normally used for keys. Then I don't have to take my wallet out to get to it. I have transferred from NJT to LIRR with as little as 2 minutes to spare. I'm a tourist from New Jersey.

But given the crime, I will no longer use the subway, only a bus within Manhattan, or the Q32, or the LIRR, or NYC Ferry to get to Queens.

Too bad NYC Ferry doesn't accept it, but I also applied for their senior discount. It comes down to bringing their approval letter to the manned ticket booth at Pier 11.

Yes unfortunately the subways are not safe anymore in NYC very sad.  The bus are a bit better because you are above ground.  Yes the NYC Ferry unfortunately does not accept Metro Card or OMNY,  Yes for the NYC you need to apply 1 month for processing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad that they cannot issue a virtual senior Metrocard upon request by a checkbox for when only a serial number is needed to upgrade to OMNY. It would save them some expenses. I am going to shred the thing once I get it and cut it over. 

Edited by Amtrak41
spelling

I finally got my phone to work with reduced fare OMNY.  I needed to set the wallet so that it would only use the bank card attached to OMNY, and that it did not need to be open to use it.  I just don't ride very often anymore though. 

My phone is almost always in my hand, and if not it is in my pocket.  I don't see any problem in using it and see no reason at all to use a separate card.

I just got a new phone the Motorola Stylus g 5G and it has NFC so I decided to put my OMNY card on my new phone to see if it works. Unfortunately it does not work and it only takes credit card or debit card.  Oh well.  I don't want to put my credit on my phone because it gets lost someone can use my phone even if I put a PIN on my phone and there are tools to hack the phone for the PIN.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:10 PM, zacster said:

I finally got my phone to work with reduced fare OMNY.  I needed to set the wallet so that it would only use the bank card attached to OMNY, and that it did not need to be open to use it.  I just don't ride very often anymore though. 

My phone is almost always in my hand, and if not it is in my pocket.  I don't see any problem in using it and see no reason at all to use a separate card.

That's great. Well at least you found a way to work with your reduce OMNY card.  If you don't ride often that is OK because right now with COVID spreading I don't see people want to go anywhere except for buying groceries etc.  And you save money too by not traveling a lot.

I kind of wish that OMNY fixed their system so that it would take Google Pay from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G. It doesn't work on my phone where it constantly tells me to tap again, so I had to switch to a physical card.

It is incredibly weird because the Note 20 has NFC working. I can wirelessly charge my phone and use Google/Samsung Pay to purchase snacks at a physical store.

39 minutes ago, jukeboxboy said:

I kind of wish that OMNY fixed their system so that it would take Google Pay from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G. It doesn't work on my phone where it constantly tells me to tap again, so I had to switch to a physical card.

It is incredibly weird because the Note 20 has NFC working. I can wirelessly charge my phone and use Google/Samsung Pay to purchase snacks at a physical store.

ME too but I just checked for the Google Wallet they only let you add your debit and credit card.  No physical OMNY options.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:38 PM, mikecintel said:

That's great. Well at least you found a way to work with your reduce OMNY card.  If you don't ride often that is OK because right now with COVID spreading I don't see people want to go anywhere except for buying groceries etc.  And you save money too by not traveling a lot.

People are going everywhere, and going about their normal business.  And I don't ride much because I retired, but still use the subway when I need to without giving it a second thought. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:38 PM, mikecintel said:

People are traveling wherever, COVID or not.  I don't use public transit much anymore because I work from home, but when I want to go shopping or do either leisure activities, I will use public transit to go into Manhattan without any thought about COVID.

27 minutes ago, zacster said:

People are going everywhere, and going about their normal business.  And I don't ride much because I retired, but still use the subway when I need to without giving it a second thought. 

OK that great you are retired and now you don't have to deal with nasty mean bosses. Enjoy your retirement.  OK I see

25 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

People are traveling wherever, COVID or not.  I don't use public transit much anymore because I work from home, but when I want to go shopping or do either leisure activities, I will use public transit to go into Manhattan without any thought about COVID.

Lucky you,  You are working from home.  I work in IT and we have to come in 5 days ugh.  Yes even if I go and buy groceries I will use public transportation too,  OK I see about thinking about COVID.  Well I always put a mask on if i am in the bus or subway and grocery store because it is so packed and with now the winter season COVID is spreading as you know.

2 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Lucky you,  You are working from home.  I work in IT and we have to come in 5 days ugh.  Yes even if I go and buy groceries I will use public transportation too,  OK I see about thinking about COVID.  Well I always put a mask on if i am in the bus or subway and grocery store because it is so packed and with now the winter season COVID is spreading as you know.

Even when I was working hybrid, I still went wherever.  Variants will continue to pop up. The difference is now that there are better treatments compared to before.  Most people are not wearing a mask either, though some are. To each its own. Whatever makes people feel comfortable, but if we're talking about travel, from the polls I've seen, most people are not concerned about COVID or they are not letting COVID keep them from going out.  Now because of inflation and work-from-home, that has made some people lazier in terms of going out, myself included.  I am playing catch-up workwise, but once I am fully settled, I will get into a routine of being out regularly. From what I have seen when I do travel people are still engaging in plenty of leisure commuting.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even when I was working hybrid, I still went wherever.  Variants will continue to pop up. The difference is now that there are better treatments compared to before.  Most people are not wearing a mask either, though some are. To each its own. Whatever makes people feel comfortable, but if we're talking about travel, from the polls I've seen, most people are not concerned about COVID or they are not letting COVID keep them from going out.  Now because of inflation and work-from-home, that has made some people lazier in terms of going out, myself included.  I am playing catch-up workwise, but once I am fully settled, I will get into a routine of being out regularly. From what I have seen when I do travel people are still engaging in plenty of leisure commuting.

What you are saying variants will continue to pop and yes there is better treatments compared to before I agree.  Yes to each and its own.  OK sounds good and for me I am still a bit afraid because I had COVID in 2021 and now I am free of COVID and that I always wear a mask.  As for going out I just need more time before I can go out regularly except for work because there is no more remote option for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Some information from this month's board notes about the OMNY CVMs:

Under the base contract, Cubic will deliver and install 1,720 CVMs to NYC Transit and, under the options exercised via Change Order No. 6, will deliver and install 594 additional CVMs to MNR and LIRR. This change order also includes 61 additional CVMs for MNR and LIRR, for a total of 655. This change order includes nine unique enhancements to all 2,375 CVMs, the overall highlights of which are:

• Implementation of a Bill Note Recycler. This is a physical bin that allows for simultaneous cash inflow and outflow management. The original design was modeled after the MetroCard Vending Machine, which had separate bins for cash in and cash out. Having one bin reduces the frequency of restocking the machines with bills.

• Internal Barcode Reader. The reader is internal to the machine and allows for maintenance, inventory control, and tracking of the CVM’s modular and interchangeable components, including internal OMNY-card inventory and cash inventory.

• Addition of Cyberlocks. Cyberlocks are programmable electronic locks that replace mechanical locks. Like mechanical locks, Cyberlocks provide security by controlling access, but in addition provide visibility into which keys are being used, and when.

• Implementation of a Secure Coin Loader. The coin loader is a prefilled and inventoried lockbox of coins from Revenue Control. The loader will replace the comparatively insecure coin bag currently in use, thus eliminating human interaction with money.

• Deployment of Rodent Ingress Protection kits. This is a mesh system at the base of the CVM that deters animals from entering the machine, but also does not trap or harm them.

• Replacement of LED dot-matrix Marquee Display with LCD Marquee Display. This allows for a more effective display and conveyance of information.

2 hours ago, 7-express said:

Some information from this month's board notes about the OMNY CVMs:

Thank you for the update. Too bad there is no pictures of the OMNY machines what it look like.  Hopefully in March 2023 when they do an OMNY update they will have sample of what the machine will look like then.  When the OMNY machines comes can we post like what stations that have OMNY installed just like when the OMNY readers were install on each subway station that way we will know which stations are installed with new OMNY machines.  

• 1 month later...

Got a notice via email advertising reduced-fare OMNY for folks with MetroCards expiring this year.  No real news but it seems like they'll send reduced-fare OMNY cards out to folks with expiring MetroCards later this year whenever they become available.  Guess we'll just have to wait till the spring OMNY update to the board for any additional news.

Not ready to tap? That’s ok. When your Reduced-Fare MetroCard nears its expiration date, we will mail you a new one or send a Reduced-Fare OMNY card, which will become available later this year. Whether you decide to start tapping with your card or device now, or wait for a Reduced-Fare OMNY card, you can keep using your MetroCard until you use up any remaining value or your card expires

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Got a notice via email advertising reduced-fare OMNY for folks with MetroCards expiring this year.  No real news but it seems like they'll send reduced-fare OMNY cards out to folks with expiring MetroCards later this year whenever they become available.  Guess we'll just have to wait till the spring OMNY update to the board for any additional news.

OK well at least it is something.  Um March 2023 they will have another OMNY update and then they should say something about the reduce fares and physical OMNY cards hopefully.  I did not get that email yet.  I guess I will get that later.  Thanks for the update!