Transportation in Co-op City

Shore El Express

23 minutes ago, josephnyy42 said:

Either the D or the 6 train should be extended for this.

Why not do both? (Granted, I'm actually on the fence about the (D), seeing that it's long enough as it is, but without a Bronx branch of Second Avenue, I don't really see any other means of bringing subway service to Gun Hill Road, not to mention the proximity to Montefiore's Moses Division...)

Hell, I'd throw in something akin to AirTrain for Pelham Parkway/Fordham Road as another route.

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Never put too much thought into it, but where would the ideal location be to place a subway station in Co-op?

My personal votes are either Baychester/Bartow or Co-Op City Bartow.

The former has a lot of wide space next to I-95 and the latter only has big box stores and parking lots as neighbors, so you could build elevated.

6 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

My personal votes are either Baychester/Bartow or Co-Op City/Bartow.

The former has a lot of wide space next to I-95 and the latter only has big box stores and parking lots as neighbors, so you could build elevated.

The latter came to my mind upon asking the question... Just wanted to see what anyone else thought.

Baychester/Bartow strikes me as odd for some reason....

Two subway proposals I remember seeing, regarding serving Co-op, consisted of:

• having a (6) extension act as some circulator along Co-op City Blvd
  • having a (6) extension bisect the neighborhood, to end in Dreiser

I'd imagine a (6) to Co-Op would run on the east side on the Thruway after PBP and end in the space between Bartow and the offramp and Baychester/95. If you wanted, you could eminent domain that lot at the 95/Erskine and have a stop there to serve southern Co-Op but you could just skip over that and have the people there continue to use the Bx23.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, B35 via Church said:

The latter came to my mind upon asking the question... Just wanted to see what anyone else thought.

Baychester/Bartow strikes me as odd for some reason....

Two subway proposals I remember seeing, regarding serving Co-op, consisted of:

• having a (6) extension act as some circulator along Co-op City Blvd
  • having a (6) extension bisect the neighborhood, to end in Dreiser

The advantage of Baychester/Bartow is the sheer amount of space presented by the I-95 row; you could build a decent bus terminal/pullover there, or you could deck over I-95 with some type of development to help pay for the thing, etc.

Co-op City/Bartow is more central, but is more constrained.

Unless Co-op is gonna either stump the money for a tunnel, or is willing to deal with elevated next to residential properties, I don't see it going north of Bartow.

26 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Unless Co-op is gonna either stump the money for a tunnel, or is willing to deal with elevated next to residential properties, I don't see it going north of Bartow.

I could've sworn I mentioned this, but much of the place is landfill that still hasn't quite settled. I'd rather not risk trying to tunnel through there.

13 hours ago, Lex said:

I could've sworn I mentioned this, but much of the place is landfill that still hasn't quite settled. I'd rather not risk trying to tunnel through there.

They spent a ton of money just keeping the buildings structurally sound and preventing them from sinking further, so there's nowhere to bury anything. Part of is basically swamp land that was developed.