Central New Jersey BRT Proposal

Jova42R

Most criticisms regarding NJT's bus network is that of in South Jersey, but I think Central Jersey's is worse... So lets see what you got here....

While transit in Central NJ is by no means plentiful, I believe the issue is more that the bus network (as in, its "reach") within & through that part of the state, is quite lacking.... I can get to Philly from Woodbine (google it) on one bus, yet god help you if you need to get between Red Bank & Princeton..... It's one of the reasons I came up with a Perth Amboy - Plainfield route some time ago....  Quite frankly, I thing Central NJ would benefit from full service lines (other than that of the #317)....

** btw, If you want people to see your map, you need to change the permissions....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Most criticisms regarding NJT's bus network is that of in South Jersey, but I think Central Jersey's is worse... So lets see what you got here....

While transit in Central NJ is by no means plentiful, I believe the issue is more that the bus network (as in, its "reach") within & through that part of the state, is quite lacking.... I can get to Philly from Woodbine (google it) on one bus, yet god help you if you need to get between Red Bank & Princeton..... It's one of the reasons I came up with a Perth Amboy - Plainfield route some time ago....  Quite frankly, I thing Central NJ would benefit from full service lines (other than that of the #317)....

** btw, If you want people to see your map, you need to change the permissions....

Changed the permissions! Thoughts on the routes?

BTW, the frequencies would be:

• 614R
    • 10BPH
  • 615R
    • 6BPH
  • 616R
    • 10BPH (some short-turns at Trenton)
  • 617R
    • 6BPH

All the rest is outlined in the doc.

Very nice.  It's succinct, rational and would likely be quite useful.  The only change I would make is perhaps having the 617 going to Somerville instead of Raritan, as that is the county seat and has more offices and commerce, and maybe onward to Bridgewater Commons.  Other than that, looks pretty good.

The one thing I would change on the 617R is the routing in Princeton. You're missing quite a lot of most of the potential ridership generators within Princeton. I would have it go along Nassau Street (Route 27) & Harrison Street, so that it serves more of the commercial strip, more areas of Princeton University easier, and it also serves Princeton Health Center. As mentioned, I would also have it serve Somerville. You could run it via Somerset Street between Somerville towards Raritan, or you could alternatively send the route to Bridgewater Commons. 

The 614R I would restructure. Most of route 1 is highway-ish which would not lead to only a few stops placed in safe locations. Most people would likely still use the train to get to/from New Brunswick at Princeton Junction. Perhaps you could have it serve more of route 130. I would say route 27, but I believe some of it is already covered by Suburban Transit. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Eh, this is pretty much what I expected; straight routes on rt. 1 & rt. 33....

Pretty obvious your focus is on BRT here, but the emphasis IMO should be on basic network coverage (which is why I mentioned full service lines in a prior post)...

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Most of route 1 is highway-ish which would not lead to only a few stops placed in safe locations.

You mean like the #171 along rt. 4 :lol:

On 5/20/2020 at 11:04 AM, Silk City Transit said:

Very nice.  It's succinct, rational and would likely be quite useful.  The only change I would make is perhaps having the 617 going to Somerville instead of Raritan, as that is the county seat and has more offices and commerce, and maybe onward to Bridgewater Commons.  Other than that, looks pretty good.

Yes, I was considering that. Thoughts on the routing?

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The one thing I would change on the 617R is the routing in Princeton. You're missing quite a lot of most of the potential ridership generators within Princeton. I would have it go along Nassau Street (Route 27) & Harrison Street, so that it serves more of the commercial strip, more areas of Princeton University easier, and it also serves Princeton Health Center. As mentioned, I would also have it serve Somerville. You could run it via Somerset Street between Somerville towards Raritan, or you could alternatively send the route to Bridgewater Commons. 

The 614R I would restructure. Most of route 1 is highway-ish which would not lead to only a few stops placed in safe locations. Most people would likely still use the train to get to/from New Brunswick at Princeton Junction. Perhaps you could have it serve more of route 130. I would say route 27, but I believe some of it is already covered by Suburban Transit. 

Thanks for the comment about Princeton, had no idea!

with The 614R and Rt1, Keep in mind this is bus rapid transit. The stops are in the median, unlike A regular bus. However I would be open to changing the routing what do you think would be best?

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Eh, this is pretty much what I expected; straight routes on rt. 1 & rt. 33....

Pretty obvious your focus is on BRT here, but the emphasis IMO should be on basic network coverage (which is why I mentioned full service lines in a prior post)...

You mean like the #171 along rt. 4 :lol:

Add this is BRT it HAS to run in a highway median. But this would be full service lines! there would be BRT passes and that’s how you would pay.

Yeah Getting on at most of the 171 stops is risking your life! This however would be in the median!

2 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Add this is BRT it HAS to run in a highway median. But this would be full service lines! there would be BRT passes and that’s how you would pay.

Lol... I wasn't implicating  that there wouldn't be any payment system.

Look, I get that this is you over-indulging on drawing these maps on google & what not, but network coverage is by far a more important issue in that region of the state, than portraying straight routes HAVING to run on a highway median....

You ask for people's thoughts on this proposal, but outside of a "Good job Jova42R", what alternatives are you really trying to consider here?