Stapleton bus detours and lack of bus service

aemoreira81

22 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

State troopers have no business being in New York City. However, in recent years sir Andrew has dispatched a set of State Troopers within NYC to do the NYPD’s job especially on highways (meanwhile NYPD has Highway Patrol) and doing pull overs on local streets too. 

Their only purpose in the city is to catch toll invaders on bridges and tunnels but as of late spotted on the Belt Parkway, Cross Island, Cross Bay Boulevard, Marine Parkway Bridge, Kings Plaza, Bklyn and The Bronx. 

Maybe it’s the Californian in me, but not seeing state police patrolling local roads doing traffic citations, accident investigations, and assisting on service calls is weird. Especially when state-owned or state-funded property is involved.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Budget issues? Please. Some departments have been hit by cuts, but we're talking about a few undercover cops to deal with ONE individual.  Wouldn't cost much... Additionally, if you are able bodied, the hills aren't a problem. If you are an elderly person or have lots of bags, especially in heat like this, then yes, I can see the hills being a problem. That is actually why bus ridership is high in certain areas... Because people don't want to walk up hills, matter how able-bodied they are.

And seeing how pro-cop the Island is, you'd think there would be some sort of activity with them trying to find the person in question. Ever since the protests started and the whole defund the police movement began, the NYPD started caring even less about things that happen within transit, and I feel like that's going to continue for a long time.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

All I know is that me personally, I almost never saw State Police in the City before 2016.  Maybe once I saw a foot patrol at Grand Central in 2014, but in the 15-20 years before that the only law enforcement units other than NYPD or feds I ever saw here were the NYC Sheriff's Office.

Prior to 2016, I've only seen them down at the WTC, Grand Central, Times Square and Penn Station...after 2016, I've seen them a lot more often in many places. I've even seen a state trooper in my neck of the woods(to be more specific, I've seen them on Liberty Avenue west of the Van Wyck and around Jamaica).

Edited by Cait Sith

20 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It sounds like he's (AEMoreira) given up on the NYPD & expects (in this case) the MTA to take on the onus

Why wouldn’t a state police agency police state property or operations and investigate actions affecting state property or operations?

Places with county sheriffs departments still police and secure county property and operations even when they’re in incorporated locales. State police/highway patrols still do traffic enforcement and primary service policing in areas with local police or sheriff’s departments. Not doing that seems to be a NYC exception - and even though I’m on side with defunding policing in general and/or disbanding NYPD (for various reasons), I’d welcome seeing more Navy blue cruisers in these five counties we call boroughs.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

And seeing how pro-cop the Island is, you'd think there would be some sort of activity with them trying to find the person in question. Ever since the protests started and the whole defund the police movement began, the NYPD started caring even less about things that happen within transit, and I feel like that's going to continue for a long time.

That is why I actually suggested the MTA try to find the suspect themselves, without NYPD assistance. With the way things will be at the NYPD, the MTA will need to be more DIY in terms of protection of its property and revenue. For instance, there have been MTA Police at places where they would never be seen before and where the NYPD used to be, like the Rockaway Parkway Intermodal Center.

The real issue may be that the MTA Police may not be trained in undercover operations as well as the NYPD is. However, at the same time, the MTA Police tends to get a lot of hires from the NYPD's Transit Bureau.

Edited by aemoreira81

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Why wouldn’t a state police agency police state property or operations and investigate actions affecting state property or operations?

Places with county sheriffs departments still police and secure county property and operations even when they’re in incorporated locales. State police/highway patrols still do traffic enforcement and primary service policing in areas with local police or sheriff’s departments. Not doing that seems to be a NYC exception - and even though I’m on side with defunding policing in general and/or disbanding NYPD (for various reasons), I’d welcome seeing more Navy blue cruisers in these five counties we call boroughs

I'm not implicating that they can't, though.

My premise is why should they, when NYC has the extensive police force that it has.... Who is this guy (the perp) that a couple of cops can't eradicate? This dude isn't the damn terminator, robo cop, juggernaut, or some other impenetrable force..... Shit is beyond silly that this has been going on for a month now....

I'm not going to get into defunding and/or disbanding policing & it's all well & good that you'd welcome the troopers (I'm indifferent to them).... What I will say though, is that this notion of AEMoreira's (NYSP should be invocated to do to the job that a local police force of its size is certainly capable of handling) minimizes the point & purpose of a local police force.... The message being sent by bringing up Cuomo's growing of the MTA police force, is that the NYPD should get some sort of pass with the way they've been handling this whole thing....

1 minute ago, aemoreira81 said:

That is why I actually suggested the MTA try to find the suspect themselves, without NYPD assistance. With the way things will be at the NYPD, the MTA will need to be more DIY. For instance, there have been MTA Police at places where they would never be seen before and where the NYPD used to be, like the Rockaway Parkway Intermodal Center.

The real issue may be that the MTA Police may not be trained in undercover operations as well as the NYPD is. However, at the same time, the MTA Police tends to get a lot of hires from the NYPD's Transit Bureau.

...and this is exactly what I'm talking about, with you giving the NYPD this pass.

How about the NYPD get the f*** up off its asses & get on their job..... This passing the buck BS will keep on going down the line, to the point where the US military will called on to handle petty crimes.... It's why you have some people fearing martial law in this country as it is....

Edited by B35 via Church

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The message being sent by bringing up Cuomo's growing of the MTA police force, is that the NYPD should get some sort of pass with the way they've been handling this whole thing....

That’s but one facet of why I’d scrap NYPD for NYC Sheriff and NYSP.

But it never made sense to me to have NYPD patrolling subways and buses and MTAPD on the railroads and water crossings when NYS leases the subways and controls the DOT bus franchises. Aside from disparate and selective enforcement of rules, why does NYS need a local entity to patrol its assets?

It’s different when it’s a sheriff’s department - since counties are legally state subdivisions that carry out state mandates (and sheriffs are county officers), but cities are citizen-created entities to handle the citizens’ priorities and can be abolished by the state - as they have no constitutional right to exist.

So why isn’t NYS using its own cops or sheriffs - that state law mandates and partially funds to exist - to handle its business? 

4 minutes ago, Deucey said:

That’s but one facet of why I’d scrap NYPD for NYC Sheriff and NYSP.

But it never made sense to me to have NYPD patrolling subways and buses and MTAPD on the railroads and water crossings when NYS leases the subways and controls the DOT bus franchises. Aside from disparate and selective enforcement of rules, why does NYS need a local entity to patrol its assets?

It’s different when it’s a sheriff’s department - since counties are legally state subdivisions that carry out state mandates (and sheriffs are county officers), but cities are citizen-created entities to handle the citizens’ priorities and can be abolished by the state - as they have no constitutional right to exist.

So why isn’t NYS using its own cops or sheriffs - that state law mandates and partially funds to exist - to handle its business? 

You're getting into doing away with the NYPD & I'm not going down that road....  All I'm going to opine on as it relates to your last question, is that there aren't enough troopers to handle the affairs of NYC & the rest of NYS.... Last I remember hearing, there's only about 4500 of them total statewide....

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Prior to 2016, I've only seen them down at the WTC, Grand Central, Times Square and Penn Station...after 2016, I've seen them a lot more often in many places. I've even seen a state trooper in my neck of the woods(to be more specific, I've seen them on Liberty Avenue west of the Van Wyck and around Jamaica).

I think only the south shore is pro cop, the north shore, not so much. Especially considering Eric Garner died not too from far from where this trouble maker is throwing things at buses.

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

My premise is why should they, when NYC has the extensive police force that it has.... Who is this guy (the perp) that a couple of cops can't eradicate? This dude isn't the damn terminator, robo cop, juggernaut, or some other impenetrable force..... Shit is beyond silly that this has been going on for a month now....

THIS right here.  Ultimately, that's what the issue really boils down to; it's a kneejerk reaction on the MTA's part, and it makes the cops look stupid that they can't catch him. 

Reminds me of the story I was told as a kid about the High Bridge on the Harlem River being closed; "oh, some kids threw rocks at a tour boat in the '70s, so they closed it."  Like really, a vandalism incident is enough to shut down an entire bridge for 40 years? Freaking ridiculous.

They wasted money on cameras for buses for what, can’t access the footage or something??? MTA is really a waste of tax payer dollars being that the people who make decisions don’t even live in NYC. Not a fan of the Staties but NYPD drops the ball every chance they get and the City should have control of the system.