Jersey City lawmakers call on NJ Transit to restore bus service cut due to pandemic

JAzumah

https://www.radio.com/wcbs880/news/local/jersey-city-lawmakers-call-on-njt-to-restore-bus-service

Elected leaders in Jersey City on Tuesday called on Gov. Phil Murphy and New Jersey Transit to restore service to the city’s most under-served areas after service abruptly stopped in some areas.

A private bus company working with NJ Transit abruptly eliminated service in parts of Jersey City without notifying any of the residents who depend on the service for their daily commutes. The 31 bus line runs from Westside Avenue to Newport mall, but A&C, the private bus operator, says they can no longer afford to keep the line running because of the pandemic.

15 hours ago, JAzumah said:

https://www.radio.com/wcbs880/news/local/jersey-city-lawmakers-call-on-njt-to-restore-bus-service

Elected leaders in Jersey City on Tuesday called on Gov. Phil Murphy and New Jersey Transit to restore service to the city’s most under-served areas after service abruptly stopped in some areas.

A private bus company working with NJ Transit abruptly eliminated service in parts of Jersey City without notifying any of the residents who depend on the service for their daily commutes. The 31 bus line runs from Westside Avenue to Newport mall, but A&C, the private bus operator, says they can no longer afford to keep the line running because of the pandemic.

That 31 route has low ridership every time their buses passes me when I walked to NJCU recenty. Barely anyone was riding those buses especially the portion between their Garage and somewhat along West Side Avenue. I never even see anyone board those buses or even ride them now. I also noticed is that route also suffers low ridership even before the pandemic began.

The problem with route 31 is that the route isn't extended to the Society hill bus stop (only terminating along Danforth Ave and West Side) and they eliminated service to Exchange Place a long time ago when they were doing the Pulaski Skyway rehab project I believe. More people usually ride the NJT 80 and A&C 30 and 32 instead along West Side instead of the 31. Also they ride the light rail going to Newport Mall I assume. I wouldn't be surprised if A&C pulled the plug and eliminate route 31 once and for all.

Route 30 and 32 has riders but also little as well I noticed mainly seeing everyone riding the NJT 80.

33 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I wouldn't be surprised if A&C pulled the plug and eliminate route 31 once and for all.

They did, but they gave very short notice, so Jersey City pressured them to pull back on it. It is operating every hour now.

2 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

They did, but they gave very short notice, so Jersey City pressured them to pull back on it. It is operating every hour now.

Didn't realize. Wasn't out until Tuesday. I saw 6473 running on the 31 yesterday that bus no one on board riding it.

Edited by DCTransitFilms

On 10/7/2020 at 10:08 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

If only the 31 can directly serve Society Hill and goes to Exchange Place the route would've got more riders at best

It used to to go Exchange Place, before they scrapped that segment of the route

The few times I go on this bus it's usually a lot of people. Most of them get off and go to the Shoprite downtown than the mall. I think eliminating the line entirely would be a disaster, especially for those in McGinley square. I think cutting the hours is best. I agree with DCTransitFilms that it should serve exchange place, but I also think it should go up to 16th/18th street in jersey city, something the #4  and #16 bus use to do years ago.

Edited by dkm07302

1 hour ago, dkm07302 said:

The few times I go on this bus it's usually a lot of people. Most of them get off and go to the Shoprite downtown than the mall. I think eliminating the line entirely would be a disaster, especially for those in McGinley square. I think cutting the hours is best. I agree with DCTransitFilms that it should serve exchange place, but I also think it should go up to 16th/18th street in jersey city, something the #4  and #16 bus use to do years ago.

Eliminating the 31 will be a huge blow for residents as they don't want to take the more expensive lightrail but they can cut hours and operate at a reduced frequency like 40-45 minutes. Serving Exchange Place would help the route since it isn't that far from the mall or can also be extended into Hoboken since there isn't a direct connection between West Side Ave to Hoboken. It can also run to the Society Hill bus stop instead of stopping by the depot. I saw 6478 on the 31 yesterday and another bus on the 31 today. Bus didn't even had a single passenger when it went down West Side Ave going both directions on both days. I also noticed that the 30 sometimes don't have much passengers as well but I did see a crowded 30 next heading to Society Hill.

Also did A&C used to have a #16 route or it was from NJT?

5 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Eliminating the 31 will be a huge blow for residents as they don't want to take the more expensive lightrail but they can cut hours and operate at a reduced frequency like 40-45 minutes. Serving Exchange Place would help the route since it isn't that far from the mall or can also be extended into Hoboken since there isn't a direct connection between West Side Ave to Hoboken. It can also run to the Society Hill bus stop instead of stopping by the depot. I saw 6478 on the 31 yesterday and another bus on the 31 today. Bus didn't even had a single passenger when it went down West Side Ave going both directions on both days. I also noticed that the 30 sometimes don't have much passengers as well but I did see a crowded 30 next heading to Society Hill.

Actually the 16 route was operated by Lafayette and Greenville Iboa...

12 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Service start to fill up once it goes on Montgomery. In the McGinley Square area, there is no direct service to the mall. I remember when the #16 stopped and a worker told me that the reason why it did was because the company said that the light rail was taking customers, which wasn't true. The Society Hill (30) bus to me is just an 80S bus, only difference is it goes to that society hill stop. When I'm in Journal Square, people on the #30 line run to get the 80 or 80S bus. I've seen people run off the bus just to get the 80.

Edited by dkm07302

On 10/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, dkm07302 said:

Service start to fill up once it goes on Montgomery. In the McGinley Square area, there is no direct service to the mall. I remember when the #16 stopped and a worker told me that the reason why it did was because the company said that the light rail was taking customers, which wasn't true. The Society Hill (30) bus to me is just an 80S bus, only difference is it goes to that society hill stop. When I'm in Journal Square, people on the #30 line run to get the 80 or 80S bus. I've seen people run off the bus just to get the 80.

30 is basically the all day 80S and also gives additional service to the 80. 32 is a combination of the 30 and 80S but it runs along Sip Ave, Duncan Avenue, and Mallory Avenue. Tbh I rarely see a lot of people get off the Mallory Ave stops but when it gets to Hudson Mall it gets filled up. Another problem with that route is that for people who wants to go to the mall or Stadium Plaza from Society Hill, or anywhere on West Side between Danforth Ave and West Side Ave station would have to get off at Mallory Avenue and transfer (as the 30, 31, and 80 does not go there). The 33 is kind of fine as its the only route that travels directly along Bergen Avenue I believe. 31 is the only current route that doesn't go to Journal Square right now. Plus I heard the 31 no longer stops directly in the mall I heard which is another blow for residents.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, 46Dover said:

Problem with the 31 is like Lakeland and DeCamp, it’s a privately owned operation, and if they aren’t getting any money in, most (being kind in saying that) of their operation will be shutting down.  

I kinda notice that A&C is kind of struggling even before the pandemic began like when they eliminated the 4 last year. Not 100% sure as I was only in jersey for vacations until I began college there.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:58 AM, biGC323232 said:

Actually the 16 route was operated by Lafayette and Greenville Iboa...

When did Lafayette and Greenville Iboa operated? I never heard of that company before.

edit: found out Olympia Trails then operated the 16 and then it was discontinued in 2008 according to Olympia Trails' wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Trails

Edited by DCTransitFilms

32 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

30 is basically the all day 80S and also gives additional service to the 80. 32 is a combination of the 30 and 80S but it runs along Sip Ave, Duncan Avenue, and Mallory Avenue. Tbh I rarely see a lot of people get off the Mallory Ave stops but when it gets to Hudson Mall it gets filled up. Another problem with that route is that for people who wants to go to the mall or Stadium Plaza from Society Hill, or anywhere on West Side between Danforth Ave and West Side Ave station would have to get off at Mallory Avenue and transfer (as the 30, 31, and 80 does not go there). The 33 is kind of fine as its the only route that travels directly along Bergen Avenue I believe. 31 is the only current route that doesn't go to Journal Square right now. Plus I heard the 31 no longer stops directly in the mall I heard which is another blow for residents.

I agree with the 30. The 32, to me, is perfect at where it at. That route doesn't need hours added or taken away. I like the fact that it goes to different parts that see no transportation at all. The 33 to me is one of A&C best route. I take that bus almost everyday (live on Bergen Ave and the 87 always gets crowded by the time it gets to me if I walk over). There's always a lot of people on the bus. I was so glad when the company took over. A few years ago, the 31 was going to Journal Square as a pilot run. It would turn on Bergen from Montgomery, run to the square, then run back on Bergen and turn to Montgomery to continue the route. (side note, if you go to Academy Street bus stop in front of C-Town, you will see the sticker is still there). I remember people complaining about it and it went away after a few months. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, 46Dover said:

Problem with the 31 is like Lakeland and DeCamp, it’s a privately owned operation, and if they aren’t getting any money in, most (being kind in saying that) of their operation will be shutting down.  

Which is sad but I think the companies have to think outside the box more. I'm not fully aware of Lakeland and DeCamp, but as for the buses that run in Jersey City, you have some routes that have never change for decades, but the surrounding area has grown. To me, the 31 route is irrelevant on west side ave but beneficial to those on Montgomery.   

4 minutes ago, dkm07302 said:

I agree with the 30. The 32, to me, is perfect at where it at. That route doesn't need hours added or taken away. I like the fact that it goes to different parts that see no transportation at all. The 33 to me is one of A&C best route. I take that bus almost everyday (live on Bergen Ave and the 87 always gets crowded by the time it gets to me if I walk over). There's always a lot of people on the bus. I was so glad when the company took over. A few years ago, the 31 was going to Journal Square as a pilot run. It would turn on Bergen from Montgomery, run to the square, then run back on Bergen and turn to Montgomery to continue the route. (side note, if you go to Academy Street bus stop in front of C-Town, you will see the sticker is still there). I remember people complaining about it and it went away after a few months. 

32 is fine however (rest of its route) except for residents between Society Hill and West Side Ave station who needs direct access to Hudson Mall and Stadium Plaza. The 33 is probably A&C's busiest route after taking it over from Bergen Avenue IBOA as the 30 is a supplement for the 80 basically. I can also understand why people didn't like the 31 going to Journal Square as it would take a while to complete the loop (something similar to WMATA's A12 bus route back in Maryland). 

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

32 is fine however (rest of its route) except for residents between Society Hill and West Side Ave station who needs direct access to Hudson Mall and Stadium Plaza. The 33 is probably A&C's busiest route after taking it over from Bergen Avenue IBOA as the 30 is a supplement for the 80 basically. I can also understand why people didn't like the 31 going to Journal Square as it would take a while to complete the loop (something similar to WMATA's A12 bus route back in Maryland). 

I agree with that for the 32. I thought the 31 to journal square was a good effort in the start, until I had to get on one day and the traffic was crazy (anyone who travels on the 33, 80, and 87 understand how crazy it gets between Montgomery Street and Sip Avenue. It a reason why I think a bus service from Journal Square to Newport Mall/18th Street would be great. Also, to go to a point you wonder earlier, the 31 do not stop in front of the mall anymore. It stops at wells fargo. 

On 10/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, dkm07302 said:

I agree with that for the 32. I thought the 31 to journal square was a good effort in the start, until I had to get on one day and the traffic was crazy (anyone who travels on the 33, 80, and 87 understand how crazy it gets between Montgomery Street and Sip Avenue. It a reason why I think a bus service from Journal Square to Newport Mall/18th Street would be great. Also, to go to a point you wonder earlier, the 31 do not stop in front of the mall anymore. It stops at wells fargo. 

I saw 6479 on the 31 to Newport yesterday when I was walking home. Bus only had one passenger riding on it. Assumed more got on along Montgomery street.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Maybe they could combine the #31 with the #32 (so run across Montgomery - West Side - Duncan - 440, serve the Hudson Mall, and then continue down 440 to Society Hill). The Sip Avenue portion could be covered by a route extended a few blocks from Journal Square.

Maybe that can work. Probably extend the 6 to Sip Avenue instead to replace portions of the 32?