Front Signs on the R160/Future R179

Luis1985

we all know that there are different colored lines on different train lines. such as the:

(A)(C)(E) 8 Ave, (:D(D)(F)(Q6)(V) 6 Ave, (N)(Q)<Q>(R)(W) Broadway, (J)(M)<R>(Z) Nassau St, (G) Crosstown, (L) 14 St-Canarsie, (1)(2)(3)(9) 7 Ave, (4)(5)(6) Lex Av, (7)<7> Flushing, (T) 2 Ave...

wouldnt it be nice if they actually put the actual color circle of that line on the front sign instead of some red bright circle?

Whenever they're ready to invest in RGB LED's.

I would retrofit the 142's-160's (though the 143's don't really need it as they only run on 1 line), and use the red and orange signs in stations. (Along the 6th and 7th Ave. lines, of course).

The current bullets shown on the R142s and R160s use an Optical Character Recognition typeface. To some, this is considered a more legible typeface, and might be why it was used. I like the older bullets, but a screen that can display the color scheme at the definition and brightness needed for legibility is not cheap. I think a slight upgrade to some primary colors in the same type of display is a decent compromise.

we all know that there are different colored lines on different train lines. such as the:

(A)(C)(E) 8 Ave, (:D(D)(F)(Q6)(V) 6 Ave, (N)(Q)<Q>(R)(W) Broadway, (J)(M)<R>(Z) Nassau St, (G) Crosstown, (L) 14 St-Canarsie, (1)(2)(3)(9) 7 Ave, (4)(5)(6) Lex Av, (7)<7> Flushing, (T) 2 Ave...

wouldnt it be nice if they actually put the actual color circle of that line on the front sign instead of some red bright circle?

I've always thought that. If they can do it on the display screens on the inside of the cars, why not on the outside?

Archived