My thought nyc subway now

Joyjliradio

3 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

I did say i keep aware of my surroundings in another reply so i do agree but I'm not an alarmist i seen been through worse...

My feelings are they are "selective" in what they do in the subway i have said that in our groups where we talk..

I see the game that's being played i really don't like it  but ill keep that to myself..

I only mentioned your colleagues because I have seen their videos, etc., and their concerns seem legitimate, but everyone's point of view will be different depending on the lines they deal with, their position, etc. Some subway lines are ok and some are worse than others.

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I only mentioned your colleagues because I have seen their videos, etc., and their concerns seem legitimate, but everyone's point of view will be different depending on the lines they deal with, their position, etc. Some subway lines are ok and some are worse than others.

I worked every line in the entire system everyplace is different..

System wide you see homeless always see homeless that hasn't changed...

What trainmaster(and hes 100 percent correct) has said is the era of cell phones and social media and so many folks basically saying OMG is a problem has this magnified, it seems like its worse..

Just now, RTOMan said:

I worked every line in the entire system everyplace is different..

System wide you see homeless always see homeless that hasn't changed...

What trainmaster(and hes 100 percent correct) has said is the era of cell phones and social media and so many folks basically saying OMG is a problem has this magnified, it seems like its worse..

The homeless situation and EDPs I do feel have increased and I'm going solely based on the lines I use and not social media. Oddly enough, I don't experience the Show Time people anymore.  They seem to be relegated to a few lines like the (L)

The panhandling doesn't seem to be any worse, but the EDPs I feel are bolder. I don't know about numbers, but the EDPs are definitely (pardon my french) ballsier than they have been in the past. I have some theories about what might be going on.

Before, they'd shoot up their drugs in the bathrooms. Now that's no longer an option since COVID started, so you're seeing them shoot up in the open. Same thing with them defecating in the train cars.

There have been less people riding. Less people riding = less people giving them money. Which means less money for them to eat and shoot up. The thought process of an EDP isn't all there, so thats why you see what you've been seeing with crime rates going up even though ridership is down. There are some exceptions to these theories though, like the occasional "I'd rather be in jail because I get 3 meals in there" EDP that get released due to bail reform (among others), but I'm not opening that can of worms.

39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The homeless situation and EDPs I do feel have increased and I'm going solely based on the lines I use and not social media. Oddly enough, I don't experience the Show Time people anymore.  They seem to be relegated to a few lines like the (L)

Hence me saying every line is different...

14 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The panhandling doesn't seem to be any worse, but the EDPs I feel are bolder. I don't know about numbers, but the EDPs are definitely (pardon my french) ballsier than they have been in the past. I have some theories about what might be going on.

Before, they'd shoot up their drugs in the bathrooms. Now that's no longer an option since COVID started, so you're seeing them shoot up in the open. Same thing with them defecating in the train cars.

There have been less people riding. Less people riding = less people giving them money. Which means less money for them to eat and shoot up. The thought process of an EDP isn't all there, so thats why you see what you've been seeing with crime rates going up even though ridership is down. There are some exceptions to these theories though, like the occasional "I'd rather be in jail because I get 3 meals in there" EDP that get released due to bail reform (among others), but I'm not opening that can of worms.

Honestly from what i have seen the ones using drugs (shooting up) aren't the issue just they are a eye sore.

Some of these so called EDPs aren't EDPs, they are just arseholes who feel they can do what they want because they haven't been dealt with accordingly....

Yet....

Edited by RTOMan

19 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I've been going to the City since this pandemic began in some fashion, because even though I'm still work from home, I'm the one that goes and checks up on the office and takes care of anything needed in-person, so I recall when Midtown was so dead that you'd see more skells walking the streets than anything else. The City is definitely not as bleak as back then, but yes, I would say there are more of them and they also seem much more aggressive than I recall and unpredictable, which means I am more likely to react faster than usual.

I actually almost got into it with a guy on the (1) train last week. I had opted for the train because I was only going to 96th on the West Side. He got on at 242nd, came behind me, banged into me and didn't say excuse me. Me being super alert, before I knew it what was going on, I had shoved him half way across the train. I have a very nasty side that shows itself quickly when people are rude. He was like oh I was stuck in the door. I told him the magic word is excuse me and I'm being mild when I say that. My point being, I've got the sense that people are much more alert and high strung now and you need to be ready to handle yourself if need be. I have not been approached by any of the EDPs. They seem to be more focused talking to themselves. Far fewer people begging than I can ever recall.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Some of these so called EDPs aren't EDPs, they are just arseholes who feel they can do what they want because they haven't been dealt with accordingly....

coughBailReformcough

but this ain't a political forum, so I'm gonna leave those cans of worms far far away...

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been going to the City since this pandemic began in some fashion, because even though I'm still work from home, I'm the one that goes and checks up on the office and takes care of anything needed in-person, so I recall when Midtown was so dead that you'd see more skells walking the streets than anything else. The City is definitely not as bleak as back then, but yes, I would say there are more of them and they also seem much more aggressive than I recall and unpredictable, which means I am more likely to react faster than usual.

I actually almost got into it with a guy on the (1) train last week. I had opted for the train because I was only going to 96th on the West Side. He got on at 242nd, came behind me, banged into me and didn't say excuse me. Me being super alert, before I knew it what was going on, I had shoved him half way across the train. I have a very nasty side that shows itself quickly when people are rude. He was like oh I was stuck in the door. I told him the magic word is excuse me and I'm being mild when I say that. My point being, I've got the sense that people are much more alert and high strung now and you need to be ready to handle yourself if need be. I have not been approached by any of the EDPs. They seem to be more focused talking to themselves. Far fewer people begging than I can ever recall.

Good thing you're a tall fella lol, if you were a skinny small runt odds are you would have been another statistic.

The subways are always a box of surprises, but yea, the last couple of years have been on a whole other level.

This is really “the glass is half full” versus “the glass is half empty.” Substitute crime/drug addicts/homeless residents/crazies with train delays and you can see why this is not a good way to approach the issue.

Imagine in 2012:

• “There was a (W)! They took away service!”
  • “Well, back in my days there was no (W) so you’re still better off now than before.”

Or with healthcare:

• “The healthcare sucks right now. Look at how much Europe and Asia are doing!”
  • “Well a century ago, life expectancy was under 50 years of age.”

I don’t think we should be judging by ancient standards. We can do better than setting a very low bar for quality of life based on the decades of rampant crime and urban decay.

7 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Good thing you're a tall fella lol, if you were a skinny small runt odds are you would have been another statistic.

The subways are always a box of surprises, but yea, the last couple of years have been on a whole other level.

You're probably right. I must say I have not had too many issues on the subway. I've seen a few guys just randomly harassed by EDPs.  My demeanor is not one that exudes that I want to be bothered to begin with, which I'm sure helps. lol

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You're probably right. I must say I have not had too many issues on the subway. I've seen a few guys just randomly harassed by EDPs.  My demeanor is not one that exudes that I want to be bothered to begin with, which I'm sure helps. lol

Really do you think so 

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

This is really “the glass is half full” versus “the glass is half empty.” Substitute crime/drug addicts/homeless residents/crazies with train delays and you can see why this is not a good way to approach the issue.

Imagine in 2012:

• “There was a (W)! They took away service!”
  • “Well, back in my days there was no (W) so you’re still better off now than before.”

Or with healthcare:

• “The healthcare sucks right now. Look at how much Europe and Asia are doing!”
  • “Well a century ago, life expectancy was under 50 years of age.”

I don’t think we should be judging by ancient standards. We can do better than setting a very low bar for quality of life based on the decades of rampant crime and urban decay.

Agree 100%. That's the problem with the entire NYC transit system and why it's so mediocre. Anytime someone complains about anything, you have the usual people (and I mean in general) that will say oh, but you should be grateful for what we have because we have 24/7 service, blah blah blah. Uh no. The system can and should be much better than it is, from the service, to safety and so on, but because people are content to excuse mediocrity, this is what we have. Quite frankly, the main reason I cut back on taking the subway pre-COVID really was because the service was so unreliable and I was constantly arriving late to my destinations or having to run out of the subway to get an Uber to reach meetings, etc. on-time. The other issues just solidified my decisions. 

One of the things I always propose is for all (MTA) workers to leave their cars at home and use the system SOLELY for work and everything else. Their response is, but the system isn't reliable and it isn't safe. LOL So there you have it... Until people are honest and stop making excuses and demand better, we'll never see a better system here. For the amount of money that comes into the (MTA), we should be getting much better, be it the buses, trains or anything else. The only thing that runs pretty well is Metro-North, but you have to pay almost four times the cost of a subway just to get a reliable and clean service.

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One of the things I always propose is for all (MTA) workers to leave their cars at home and use the system SOLELY for work and everything else. Their response is, but the system isn't reliable and it isn't safe. 

Pretty hard to do that if you live in NJ and have a 4-5am start time. 

8 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Or PA or Delaware....

Now you're going to confuse some posters. They probably haven't noticed that many construction projects on the railroads, subways, and the highways are all done overnights. Perhaps they've never had a 3 or 4 am report at Jamaica Yard, 207th St, Stillwell, 239th or Westchester and they live in Staten Island, Nassau, or Rockland. Throw a little Winter weather into the mix and see what they say about that. Heck, I had a schoolcar class at 239th yard one time . I lived at New Lots, boarded a (2) train with one of my instructors at 6 am for a scheduled 88 minute trip and we arrived at 241 St station at 8:02. Class was scheduled for 8 am in the yard.  In fact for most of my career in RTO i utilized the subway system. I don't know the current modus operandi but, back then, as long as you were on an interval that was scheduled to arrive at point A at a specific time and that interval was delayed for whatever reason you couldn't be penalized and marked late. I don't know how many times my partners and I boarded an interval at New Lots headed for Lenox Terminal or somewhere on the Broadway or WPR lines where we ended up on a B Division train at Atlantic, Nevins-DeKalb, or Borough Hall to try to reach our starting point in a timely manner. Back then we didn't have any IRT express service south of Atlantic during the mid day hours. We even went the Pennsylvania Avenue bus to Liberty or Broadway Junction for (A) or 4 car (C) local service. To sum up there's no guarantee you are going to arrive at your destination on time no matter your travel time or mode of transportation. My recollections. Carry on.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, RTOMan said:

Exactly...

Some Folks are on their phones posting things that always been here lots of alarmists out there...

Its ok though i always been aware of my surroundings,  growing up in the projects you tend to be that way.

People get a little taste of how some been living the whole time and now its a crisis. 

12 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Now you're going to confuse some posters. They probably haven't noticed that many construction projects on the railroads, subways, and the highways are all done overnights. Perhaps they've never had a 3 or 4 am report at Jamaica Yard, 207th St, Stillwell, 239th or Westchester and they live in Staten Island, Nassau, or Rockland. Throw a little Winter weather into the mix and see what they say about that. Heck, I had a schoolcar class at 239th yard one time . I lived at New Lots, boarded a (2) train with one of my instructors at 6 am for a scheduled 88 minute trip and we arrived at 241 St station at 8:02. Class was scheduled for 8 am in the yard.  In fact for most of my career in RTO i utilized the subway system. I don't know the current modus operandi but, back then, as long as you were on an interval that was scheduled to arrive at point A at a specific time and that interval was delayed for whatever reason you couldn't be penalized and marked late. I don't know how many times my partners and I boarded an interval at New Lots headed for Lenox Terminal or somewhere on the Broadway or WPR lines where we ended up on a B Division train at Atlantic, Nevins-DeKalb, or Borough Hall to try to reach our starting point in a timely manner. Back then we didn't have any IRT express service south of Atlantic during the mid day hours. We even went the Pennsylvania Avenue bus to Liberty or Broadway Junction for (A) or 4 car (C) local service. To sum up there's no guarantee you are going to arrive at your destination on time no matter your travel time or mode of transportation. My recollections. Carry on.

Those types of folks have no idea what its like..

That's why they on the computer posting about instead of living it...

22 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Or PA or Delaware....

Hard to do, yes, but not impossible in some cases.  I was really thinking about those living in the Metropolitan area, be it NY, NJ, or CT.  There are definitely some (MTA) workers that do it and I think they emphatize better. If you're living in PA or Delaware, that's obviously another story, but my point is the experience is totally different from the worker's perspective vs. the commuter's perspective, and it always will be. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Hard to do, yes, but not impossible in some cases.  I was really thinking about those living in the Metropolitan area, be it NY, NJ, or CT.  There are definitely some (MTA) workers that do it and I think they emphatize better. If you're living in PA or Delaware, that's obviously another story, but my point is the experience is totally different from the worker's perspective vs. the commuter's perspective, and it always will be. 

You'd be surprised how many of us take public transportation to work...

Lots of us do...

2 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

You'd be surprised how many of us take public transportation to work...

Lots of us do...

I'm sure of it because I see it, and my uncle did as well and he lived in New York and then New Jersey. In fact, he preferred it over driving in, though he did drive in on occasion, but he definitely knew what it was like to be waiting for the bus or subway to reach his depot, as he had to be in early.

I'm sure of it because I see it, and my uncle did as well and he lived in New York and then New Jersey. In fact, he preferred it over driving in, though he did drive in on occasion, but he definitely knew what it was like to be waiting for the bus or subway to reach his depot, as he had to be in early.

So we on the same page then..

Excellent...

Oh and to be clear, I mean the big wigs too. I know Pat Foye always said he got serious use out of his LIRR pass and used the subway and Byford always professed that he didn't have a car. Not too sure about some of the others.

Ha most them them have no idea what a subway is like...