My thought nyc subway now

Joyjliradio

16 minutes ago, Joyjliradio said:

My thought about nyc subway now, I don’t feel not safe with crime  I thought nyc subway need shout down forever because not safe and I see no one riding the subway now, what do you think about this.

Hello Joyjliradio...Welcome to the NYC transit debate Forum....i think this should be locked..There a subway thread called Random Thought that allow u to share any thought u want...Resort to that 

Edited by biGC323232

On 2/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, Joyjliradio said:

My thought about nyc subway now, I don’t feel not safe with crime  I thought nyc subway need shout down forever because not safe and I see no one riding the subway now, what do you think about this.

You might be surprised to know that 2 days last week subway ridership was 3 million people each day for 2 days in a row.

Still feel "no one is riding the subway now"?

What do you expect people to do if the subway was shut down??? 

Also, seeing as your location is "Central Islip", if that in fact is true, your comments go in line how many suburbanites (often who never lived in NYC) portray the city. Resort to exaggerations about its degradation, especially when it comes to safety and crime, but they sure love to hang out "in the city" too. Yes there are issues on the subway, so then you deal with the problems as needed. People with severe mental illness and criminals will just be on the streets then, and create problems there. Do you suggest closing down all of NYC forever because of that? Where does it end?

This is a product of inaction and lack of substantive plans to fix said issues on a societal level here (regardless of party affiliation, same shit). The roots of the problems have never been addressed, and the pandemic exacerbated them. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

55 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Resort to exaggerations about its degradation, especially when it comes to safety and crime

The safety and crime bringing the subway down is kinda on-point though. The place is literally up in flames. Legit saw a homeless guy sit down on the floor like a panda on a crowded (Q) to take a shit today.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

What do you expect people to do if the subway was shut down??? 

Also, seeing as your location is "Central Islip", if that in fact is true, your comments go in line how many suburbanites (often who never lived in NYC) portray the city. Resort to exaggerations about its degradation, especially when it comes to safety and crime, but they sure love to hang out "in the city" too. Yes there are issues on the subway, so then you deal with the problems as needed. People with severe mental illness and criminals will just be on the streets then, and create problems there. Do you suggest closing down all of NYC forever because of that? Where does it end?

This is a product of inaction and lack of substantive plans to fix said issues on a societal level here (regardless of party affiliation, same shit). The roots of the problems have never been addressed, and the pandemic exacerbated them. 

16 minutes ago, CenSin said:

The safety and crime bringing the subway down is kinda on-point though. The place is literally up in flames. Legit saw a homeless guy sit down on the floor like a panda on a crowded (Q) to take a shit today.

Yes I’m from central islip but I used live in Oakland gardens,queens. And I’m worried about the subway system in the city . I love nyc subway!!! The letter lines did help the alabet was little kid who was moving from Korea in 2000 . The crime is worse by the day. Eric Adams is luaghing us. The homeless is poop on (Q) train . This city is trouble now. 

34 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Crime and safety on the subway is an issue, you get no disagreement with me on that. But there definitely is fear mongering going on regarding the issues on the subway (and the city at large). When I hear that this is like the 70s and 80s... :huh:. The way media tends to sensationalize things doesn't help either. 

13 minutes ago, Joyjliradio said:

Yes I’m from central islip but I used live in Oakland gardens,queens. And I’m worried about the subway system in the city . I love nyc subway!!! The letter lines did help the alabet was little kid who was moving from Korea in 2000 . The crime is worse by the day. Eric Adams is luaghing us. The homeless is poop on (Q) train . This city is trouble now. 

The homeless situation, that goes back to a lack of substantive action to get them help (those who can be helped/rehabbed) and off the streets. Since we haven't done anything about it in the past, now it's even worse. 

In any case, closing the subway because of an uptick in crime, is not a feasible or rational idea. Not only does it not solve the homelessness and crime issue, but you're also creating congestion, health, and economic issues in the process.

8 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Crime and safety on the subway is an issue, you get no disagreement with me on that. But there definitely is fear mongering going on regarding the issues on the subway (and the city at large). When I hear that this is like the 70s and 80s... :huh:. The way media tends to sensationalize things doesn't help either. 

The homeless situation, that goes back to a lack of substantive action to get them help (those who can be helped/rehabbed) and off the streets. Since we haven't done anything about it in the past, now it's even worse. 

In any case, closing the subway because of an uptick in crime, is not a feasible or rational idea. Not only does it not solve the homelessness and crime issue, but you're also creating congestion, health, and economic issues in the process.

Really do you think so,  the crime is worse every day  and homeless is getting worse. Pre Covid homeless and crime less

5 hours ago, Joyjliradio said:

Really do you think so,  the crime is worse every day  and homeless is getting worse. Pre Covid homeless and crime less

I don't know what part you're responding to, but the crime levels are nowhere near the levels in the 1970s, 80s, and even 90s (in both sheer number and on a per capita basis too since the population grew). If you choose to not take the subway or avoid the subway because you personally don't feel it's safe enough for you, fair enough, that's your choice. But to resorting to blatant exaggerations (nobody riding the subway, the subway being too dangerous to stay open) is the issue here.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

If you rode the subways in the 70s and 80s(Like I did) then you wouldn't know what crime and bad homeless is...

Todays times is like Childs play...

Folks are taking the train so that nobody rides on weekends is a exaggeration

Now if you feel that way then fine its cool  UBER take a cab use the Bus then drive if it suits you.

Edited by RTOMan

17 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

you rode the subways in the 70s and 80s(Like I did) then you wouldn't know what crime and bad homeless is...

Now if you feel that way then fine its cool  UBER take a cab use the Bus then drive if it suits you.

Edited 3 minutes ago by RTOMan

Today , we have a bad homeless 

6 hours ago, RTOMan said:

If you rode the subways in the 70s and 80s(Like I did) then you wouldn't know what crime and bad homeless is...

Let me give an amen to your response. I’m someone who rode the subway system from the ‘50s onwards and worked in NYCT from the late ‘60s until 2010 on all tours, AM, PM, Midnights, it’s my opinion that the poster is either very young or getting their information mainly from social media or television news. We old folks  were taught that tv “news” was inherently biased favoring crime, fires, and the like over “factual “ researched information. There’s a reason why many people of my generation still view local news as part of the Boob Tube. I noticed a poster saying that they came from Queens and now they reside in Central Islip. To those who aren’t familiar with Central Islip let’s just say that the safest places in Central Islip are the NY State and Federal Courthouses. There’s no difference between Jamaica Avenue, Gun Hill Road, Myrtle Avenue, or Lenox Avenue or Carleton Avenue in C.I. , IMO. I’ve served on jury duty in Brooklyn and Suffolk and there’s no difference in the type of crime or the perpetrators no matter the location.  Panhandling in the subway station environment and vicinity is no different from those who do the same thing at the Central Islip or Brentwood LIRR stations. My opinion. Carry on 

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Some of your colleagues don't seem to agree with that. The videos they post about the issues they're dealing with now while trying to keep service moving are crazy and I'm sure you're dealing with it too. The subway fires, shootings, stabbings, FILTHY trains, homeless everywhere... I don't know if you can really compare today's issues with those of the 70s and 80s, but they're not exactly child's play either. What's especially disturbing is the amount of EDPs all around the system. Sure, maybe you're not having to worry about being shot or robbed as often as back in the day, but having mentally ill people that you don't know what they're going to do isn't exactly business as usual. Their presence has been steadily increasing since a little before the pandemic.

I'm not a daily rider, but I definitely use the subway in Manhattan primarily, and I have been met just about every ride with several EDPs and/or homeless.

In fact today, one of your colleagues posted a video of several people shooting up right on the platform in Times Square in the middle of the day. That is not something I have witnessed in the past at that station, but it's a wake up call as to what is being seen as "normal" not just in the subway system, but in the City. None of this is acceptable.

I don't think it makes sense to compare the system back then to now, because it attempts to downplay the issues plaguing the system now and they are definitely problems that will keep some people from riding. I'm a male and stand at 6'4" and can handle myself if need be, but if I was a female, I'm not sure I would ride the subway at all.

20 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Let me give an amen to your response. I’m someone who rode the subway system from the ‘50s onwards and worked in NYCT from the late ‘60s until 2010 on all tours, AM, PM, Midnights, it’s my opinion that the poster is either very young or getting their information mainly from social media or television news. We old folks  were taught that tv “news” was inherently biased favoring crime, fires, and the like over “factual “ researched information. There’s a reason why many people of my generation still view local news as part of the Boob Tube. I noticed a poster saying that they came from Queens and now they reside in Central Islip. To those who aren’t familiar with Central Islip let’s just say that the safest places in Central Islip are the NY State and Federal Courthouses. There’s no difference between Jamaica Avenue, Gun Hill Road, Myrtle Avenue, or Lenox Avenue or Carleton Avenue in C.I. , IMO. I’ve served on jury duty in Brooklyn and Suffolk and there’s no difference in the type of crime or the perpetrators no matter the location.  Panhandling in the subway station environment and vicinity is no different from those who do the same thing at the Central Islip or Brentwood LIRR stations. My opinion. Carry on 

Ironically, it's been the panhandling in the subway system that I've found to be child's play more than anything else. That's the least of my worries when I take the train. My head is on a swivel to make sure I'm not the next person being shoved on the tracks.  That's probably the main thing I worry about. That and making sure I'm ready in case some nut job appears with a weapon. I'm always alert, but the body language I see from some riders, especially women is they are on extra alert and I don't blame them. I'm not trying to paint the situation as doom and gloom, but I sure as hell don't think the system is as safe as say back in the late 90s when I started riding as a teenager.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 minutes ago, Joyjliradio said:

What one? Who?

I'm referring to his (MTA) colleagues. Of note though, the (7) train is absolutely fine from what I've experienced and I use it fairly often, so I'm not sure which lines you're complaining about, but the (7) shouldn't be one of them. The lines that are the worst IMO are the (2)(4)(5).  Loaded with EDPs and homeless, especially on the weekends. Out of control. Been that way since before the pandemic too. The (E) is hit or miss as well. The (F) definitely has its characters.  

And how could I forget the (A) train with the junkies shooting up on the platform Uptown? They LOVE 181st St.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm referring to his (MTA) colleagues. Of note though, the (7) train is absolutely fine from what I've experienced and I use it fairly often, so I'm not sure which lines you're complaining about, but the (7) shouldn't be one of them. The lines that are the worst IMO are the (2)(4)(5).  Loaded with EDPs and homeless, especially on the weekends. Out of control. Been that way since before the pandemic too. The (E) is hit or miss as well. The (F) definitely has its characters.  

And how could I forget the (A) train with the junkies shooting up on the platform Uptown? They LOVE 181st St.  

And 179 st subway station on (f) is bad homeless and smoke wheed

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some of your colleagues don't seem to agree with that. The videos they post about the issues they're dealing with now while trying to keep service moving are crazy and I'm sure you're dealing with it too. The subway fires, shootings, stabbings, FILTHY trains, homeless everywhere... I don't know if you can really compare today's issues with those of the 70s and 80s, but they're not exactly child's play either. What's especially disturbing is the amount of EDPs all around the system. Sure, maybe you're not having to worry about being shot or robbed as often as back in the day, but having mentally ill people that you don't know what they're going to do isn't exactly business as usual. Their presence has been steadily increasing since a little before the pandemic.

I'm not a daily rider, but I definitely use the subway in Manhattan primarily, and I have been met just about every ride with several EDPs and/or homeless.

In fact today, one of your colleagues posted a video of several people shooting up right on the platform in Times Square in the middle of the day. That is not something I have witnessed in the past at that station, but it's a wake up call as to what is being seen as "normal" not just in the subway system, but in the City. None of this is acceptable.

I don't think it makes sense to compare the system back then to now, because it attempts to downplay the issues plaguing the system now and they are definitely problems that will keep some people from riding. I'm a male and stand at 6'4" and can handle myself if need be, but if I was a female, I'm not sure I would ride the subway at all.

I got 21 years down here i lived most of my life in the City..

Its been worse than this...

7 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Exactly...

Some Folks are on their phones posting things that always been here lots of alarmists out there...

Its ok though i always been aware of my surroundings,  growing up in the projects you tend to be that way.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So you don't agree with your colleagues that argue that they need more protection in the subway?

I did say i keep aware of my surroundings in another reply so i do agree but I'm not an alarmist i seen been through worse...

My feelings are they are "selective" in what they do in the subway i have said that in our groups where we talk..

I see the game that's being played i really don't like it  but ill keep that to myself..