NJ Transit - Transit Deserts?

Lawrence St

I've been reading up on a lot of complaints on the bus side of things for NJ Transit, particularly transit deserts. But most of these are coming from places that already have bus service, such as Bergen County, Jersey City, etc etc. Unless I'm not understanding, where are these transit deserts that everyone keeps talking about in northern New Jersey?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Why are you taking anybody that's claiming that Jersey City is a transit desert seriously for, anyway.....

For starters, on the articles I've been reading about the 4 route cancellation. Unless IBOA wasn't running the line properly, they say it had low ridership but there were hundreds of comments asking for the line to be brought back.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

For starters, on the articles I've been reading about the 4 route cancellation. Unless IBOA wasn't running the line properly, they say it had low ridership but there were hundreds of comments asking for the line to be brought back.

The cancellation of one route out of like what, about 2 bus dozen routes in a certain locale, hardly has that region qualifying as a transit desert.... Whether it's for effect or whatever, people use extreme terms to categorize things way too loosely.

For what it's worth, there are several transit deserts in NJ, just not in Hudson County.

The lack of service between Freehold and Trenton (or even Freehold to Princeton Junction), Boonton and Morristown, or Paterson to certain points west in Passaic County all come to mind.

32 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

For what it's worth, there are several transit deserts in NJ, just not in Hudson County.

The lack of service between Freehold and Trenton (or even Freehold to Princeton Junction), Boonton and Morristown, or Paterson to certain points west in Passaic County all come to mind.

And how would you solve the Passaic County transit deserts?

From what I've seen of NJT bus maps and schedules from the 1980s, several areas had better bus connections than they do today.  At a minimum, NJT ought to look at bringing some of those routes back.  From what I've witnessed, the potential demand is there; not everyone driving around is doing so because they want to- especially not with these gas prices.  They're taking the car to work because NJT doesn't give them the choice of a bus, let alone a train.

Even the areas that are served by train are almost inaccessible outside of the peak direction in rush hour- I learned that the hard way once when I tried to get a train from Newark Broad Street to Boonton.

Edited by R10 2952

11 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

From what I've seen of NJT bus maps and schedules from the 1980s, several areas had better bus connections than they do today.  At a minimum, NJT ought to look at bringing some of those routes back.  From what I've witnessed, the potential demand is there; not everyone driving around is doing so because they want to- especially not with these gas prices.  They're taking the car to work because NJT doesn't give them the choice of a bus, let alone a train.

Even the areas that are served by train are almost inaccessible outside of the peak direction in rush hour- I learned that the hard way once when I tried to get a train from Newark Broad Street to Boonton.

Absolutely...Back in the 90s and even early 2000 up to like 2005-2006 bus service across hudson was way better than today...Mainly due to The Iboa's before they went out of business 

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

i live by the 4 when it ran and it was always either very empty or not alot of people but, the HBLR, M&W (Montgomery & Westside) and path still go to newport 

u can take 6, 80, or 87 to montgomery and get the M&W, take path or HBLR

Edited by nightmare402

1 hour ago, nightmare402 said:

i live by the 4 when it ran and it was always either very empty or not alot of people but, the HBLR, M&W (Montgomery & Westside) and path still go to newport 

u can take 6, 80, or 87 to montgomery and get the M&W, take path or HBLR

The 4 Became a low ridership line when Couch Usa tookover they cut the frequencies that Layfayette & Greenville had for the Local-Newport....Buy then the HBLR Was finished...Then the A&C Took over running buses every 35-40 mins...Riders basicly got fed up and started to take the HBLR... replaceing the downtown portion with the #1 and 86...4 line went into History after that

Didn't like the Red and Tan pretty much shut down their entire network around 2000-2010, and they were a big player around Journal Square

Did NJT take over most of the lines ? I know the 119 replaced what was then the 99S and maybe the 10, and the S89 replaced their direct SI - Jersey City Express.

Are there still routes not taken over/or made redundant by HBLR?

36 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Didn't like the Red and Tan pretty much shut down their entire network around 2000-2010, and they were a big player around Journal Square

Did NJT take over most of the lines ? I know the 119 replaced what was then the 99S and maybe the 10, and the S89 replaced their direct SI - Jersey City Express.

The #6 was created to replace most of them.

45 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Transport Azumah took over the Red and Tan line as the 144, and both the S89 & 144 ran simultaneously for a while, until the 144 was eliminated. (I think when it ended, it had a Journal Square trip and an Exchange Place trip IINM).

7 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

The 4 Became a low ridership line when Couch Usa tookover they cut the frequencies that Layfayette & Greenville had for the Local-Newport....Buy then the HBLR Was finished...Then the A&C Took over running buses every 35-40 mins...Riders basicly got fed up and started to take the HBLR... replaceing the downtown portion with the #1 and 86...4 line went into History after that

the M&W is running every hour. i figure thats empty now

12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Transport Azumah took over the Red and Tan line as the 144, and both the S89 & 144 ran simultaneously for a while, until the 144 was eliminated. (I think when it ended, it had a Journal Square trip and an Exchange Place trip IINM).

I heard stories about that 144 after they took over…jeez.