Crime on the Subway Thread

Lawrence St

1 hour ago, Joel Powers said:

I'm saying it's all to combat crime. This ain't nonsense, this is a life and death situation. 

Yeah and I'm saying in the real world, none of that would fly.  The job of (MTA) personnel is to focus on moving people from point A to point B, not be police officers, social workers, and anything of the sort.

On 4/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, Deucey said:

We need a separate transit police back - was a dumb decision by Giuliani to merge NYCTA Police with NYPD.

Giuliani's policy was simple:

(1) The Mayor controls the police and the streets, so police belong on the streets.

(2) The Mayor DOES NOT control crime or the subways, so crime belongs in the subways.

50 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I wish it were, but it's the only way to explain why Rudy took thousands of cops OUT of the subways.

Rudy took the Transit Police and the NYC Housing Police from the control of the Transit Authority and the Housing Authority, respectively, because he wanted full control of both and to bolster his " law and order" cred, period.  Perhaps you don't remember Rudy and Senator Al D'Amato posing as undercover cops but they came across as clowns in those photos. My opinion. Carry on.

4 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Rudy took the Transit Police and the NYC Housing Police from the control of the Transit Authority and the Housing Authority, respectively, because he wanted full control of both and to bolster his " law and order" cred, period.  Perhaps you don't remember Rudy and Senator Al D'Amato posing as undercover cops but they came across as clowns in those photos. My opinion. Carry on.

Former Mayor Debozo obviously didn't help matters by removing the plain clothes officers from the Subways and City streets in general. All that did was add fuel to the BLM fires....

12 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

As part of that control, Rudy moved the cops (under his control) onto the streets (under his control) and away from the subways (not under his control).  The idea was to protect what he controlled at the expense of what he didn't control. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

A man was shot and killed on the (Q) train today just before noon.

Shooting on Sunday morning? Crazy...

Adams' time for patience is running thin. It's been almost six months now, and there seems to be no solid plan in place to stop the carnage and we aren't even into Summer yet when crime tends to really spike in the City.  Part of the problem is a State issue (particularly with the gun problems), but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't have a plan in place to get this situation under control.  He ran on the platform of getting crime under control, and so far, nothing has changed since he took over.  Shootings are increasing on the subway. Streets are just as filthy as they were under de Blasio (if not worse (more rats, more garbage, etc.)).  Basic paving not taking place.  I gave an earful to the DOT at a Community Board meeting a few months ago. They're focusing on bike lanes, but can't provide basic paving. Ridiculous. 

So far he has shown that he can't run the City.  He's begging office workers to come back... Not happening. There is no reason for people to go back to the office when they can work at home. I've been just as productive with a hybrid schedule as I was when I was in the office five days a week.  Just several examples of how ineffective he's been so far.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Streets are just as filthy as they were under de Blasio (if not worse (more rats, more garbage, etc.)).  Basic paving not taking place.  I gave an earful to the DOT at a Community Board meeting a few months ago. They're focusing on bike lanes, but can't provide basic paving. Ridiculous.

The bike lanes are just as full of potholes, worn-out/illegible “🚲” lane paint, and double-parked cars getting in the way.

12 minutes ago, CenSin said:

The bike lanes are just as full of potholes, worn-out/illegible “🚲” lane paint, and double-parked cars getting in the way.

You want to hear something hilarious. So they had the nerve to do a presentation about the bike lanes via Zoom, and in all of the slides, you can see the craters and potholes.  I pointed this out to them (the DOT) during my comments. I said how are you giving a presentation on bike lanes when people can't even cross the street with the craters and potholes shown in each slide? I was livid. I usually try to keep my comments short and sweet, but this is nuts. We've been asking for this particular stretch of road to be repaved for over a year now, and they claimed that they would do it and we're still waiting because they supposedly don't have the manpower due to COVID, yet they can give presentations on bike lanes and implement those immediately.  It's insanity.  

Just a great example of the incompetence plaguing the City right now.  Can't get the basics addressed, can't get crime on the subway under control and other issues, but Adams wants people to come back to office. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8