Crime on the Subway Thread

Lawrence St

Some people will say there's nothing wrong and there will always be crime. The subways are in total disarray. Took it yesterday. People sitting around on the Times Square platform smoking all sorts of substances. That's perfectly ok... People at other stations taking care of mother nature at several (1) train stations from 110th on up.  Not a problem... Half naked guy on (2) train greeted us from 96th St down to 72nd St begging. I had to get off of the train before that because the entire car was filled with someone smoking. 

Now of course panhandling and such has always been a thing, but the urinating and defecation going on was not the norm, but seems to be becoming the norm which is allowing for everything else going on, signaling no sort of law and order underground. Just do whatever you want. That's the message.

29 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some people will say there's nothing wrong and there will always be crime. The subways are in total disarray. Took it yesterday. People sitting around on the Times Square platform smoking all sorts of substances. That's perfectly ok... People at other stations taking care of mother nature at several (1) train stations from 110th on up.  Not a problem... Half naked guy on (2) train greeted us from 96th St down to 72nd St begging. I had to get off of the train before that because the entire car was filled with someone smoking. 

Now of course panhandling and such has always been a thing, but the urinating and defecation going on was not the norm, but seems to be becoming the norm which is allowing for everything else going on, signaling no sort of law and order underground. Just do whatever you want. That's the message.

Lmao...Half Naked...Jesus christ...Just this morning saw on the news a 70 plus year old man get shoved to the ground then showed the attacker farebeating on the train...Yes things is way out of control...Subways resorting back to the 80s except the graffiti on the trains..lol

9 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Lmao...Half Naked...Jesus christ...Just this morning saw on the news a 70 plus year old man get shoved to the ground then showed the attacker farebeating on the train...Yes things is way out of control...Subways resorting back to the 80s except the graffiti on the trains..lol

I wouldn't exclude the graffiti part, there have been some posts I've seen that involved trains getting tagged. The only difference is that they're being washed off. I really don't understand the wasted effort to go sneak into an area such as a yard, a layup, or whatever and graffiti a train. At the end of the day, the train will end up being taken out of service and go to a yard for a wash. 

7 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

I hate to say it, but it seems like just about every subway ride I take, I encounter someone like this. Got on the (F) train at 6th & 57th a few months ago and a guy was in a similar state. It was actually sad to see, but outside of the (7) line, just about every train ride I have taken has been a fiasco. Sometimes I'm in a car with at least two or more homeless people that are clearly disturbed and sometimes barely clothed. The (1) train and the (2) and (3) have become esp. bad and weekends, it's like a rolling homeless cart. Few weekends ago, I get on the (3) at 72nd. Train was packed. Guy took up almost an entire row of seats between himself and his belongings with an umbrella used to block off more seats so he couldn't be disturbed. 

I would say a lot of the violence is stemming from a large group of people that aren't paying. At Times Square yesterday, out of about 15 people, only three of us paid. I tapped with my OMNY card, but before I could even do that, there were people either ducking under or hopping over right in front of a token booth clerk. 

15 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I wouldn't exclude the graffiti part, there have been some posts I've seen that involved trains getting tagged. The only difference is that they're being washed off. I really don't understand the wasted effort to go sneak into an area such as a yard, a layup, or whatever and graffiti a train. At the end of the day, the train will end up being taken out of service and go to a yard for a wash. 

That's because it's a badge of honour to tag a NYC Subway car. The Eurotrash also come over to bomb the cars and then post it on social media. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I hate to say it, but it seems like just about every subway ride I take, I encounter someone like this. Got on the (F) train at 6th & 57th a few months ago and a guy was in a similar state. It was actually sad to see, but outside of the (7) line, just about every train ride I have taken has been a fiasco. Sometimes I'm in a car with at least two or more homeless people that are clearly disturbed and sometimes barely clothed. The (1) train and the (2) and (3) have become esp. bad and weekends, it's like a rolling homeless cart. Few weekends ago, I get on the (3) at 72nd. Train was packed. Guy took up almost an entire row of seats between himself and his belongings with an umbrella used to block off more seats so he couldn't be disturbed. 

I would say a lot of the violence is stemming from a large group of people that aren't paying. At Times Square yesterday, out of about 15 people, only three of us paid. I tapped with my OMNY card, but before I could even do that, there were people either ducking under or hopping over right in front of a token booth clerk. 

In that last point, you can blame the “activists” for letting that happen. Any cop tries to summon a fare evader and their face gets plastered all over social media. 

But some cops would rather ticket paying passengers traveling between the end doors to get away from a problem in another car instead of ticketing the actual problem. NYC in a nutshell.

49 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

In that last point, you can blame the “activists” for letting that happen. Any cop tries to summon a fare evader and their face gets plastered all over social media. 

But some cops would rather ticket paying passengers traveling between the end doors to get away from a problem in another car instead of ticketing the actual problem. NYC in a nutshell.

Cops aren't putting themselves on the line when everything they do is being scrutinized. Not worth it. The reality is even with them carrying out arrests, the perps are being released within hours to do the same things, so there has to be changes at the State level. If not, Adams will be a one-term mayor for sure. Regardless of who took over, they had their work cut out for them. 

On 3/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Cops aren't putting themselves on the line when everything they do is being scrutinized.

So indicative of the problem with policing today - if cops won’t do their jobs for fear of being filmed and scrutinized (laughable since few actually get disciplined or terminated), then it holds that the complaints about policing are salient.

Easy problem to solve, but as Churchill said, “America will do the right thing after it tried everything else” - or something similar.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If not, Adams will be a one-term mayor for sure.

I’d rather this be a certainty than a possibility.

=====
All said, I don’t feel unsafe on the subway, but I do feel annoyed. Was at Penn on the (1) yesterday and saw a hobo harassing a skater to the point he’s on one of the help phones calling for help while there’s 4 Blue Bloods I passed above ground at 34th/7th watching pedestrian traffic vs being in the station (which already has/had too much vice going on).

We need a separate transit police back - was a dumb decision by Giuliani to merge NYCTA Police with NYPD.

Also, where are those 500 (MTA) police Cuomo imposed?

54 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So indicative of the problem with policing today - if cops won’t do their jobs for fear of being filmed and scrutinized (laughable since few actually get disciplined or terminated), then it holds that the complaints about policing are salient.

Easy problem to solve, but as Churchill said, “America will do the right thing after it tried everything else” - or something similar.

=====
All said, I don’t feel unsafe on the subway, but I do feel annoyed. Was at Penn on the (1) yesterday and saw a hobo harassing a skater to the point he’s on one of the help phones calling for help while there’s 4 Blue Bloods I passed above ground at 34th/7th watching pedestrian traffic vs being in the station (which already has/had too much vice going on).

We need a separate transit police back - was a dumb decision by Giuliani to merge NYCTA Police with NYPD.

For what it's worth, I've seen more NYPD cops patrolling since Adams came into office than I did during the de Blasio period. There are just so many weirdos riding. Last week, this guy was at Times Square just pacing back and forth and he clearly looked mentally unstable. I called myself getting away from him, only to have him run into my car just as the doors were closing. He got off at 110th St on the (1), but behaved in such a weird way that everyone was looking at him like what is this guy on? It's bad enough now that I think I will be avoiding the subway when it gets warm for sure, especially since we are only now going to a hybrid schedule this week, but it'll still be only a few times a week, just I have been going in. Gonna take time to get the situation under control down there.  I know quite a few people that have basically stopped using public transit and they go into Manhattan by car or via Uber. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 4/3/2022 at 8:40 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For what it's worth, I've seen more NYPD cops patrolling since Adams came into office than I did during the de Blasio period. There are just so many weirdos riding. Last week, this guy was at Times Square just pacing back and forth and he clearly looked mentally unstable. I called myself getting away from him, only to have him run into my car just as the doors were closing. He got off at 110th St on the (1), but behaved in such a weird way that everyone was looking at him like what is this guy on? It's bad enough now that I think I will be avoiding the subway when it gets warm for sure, especially since we are only now going to a hybrid schedule this week, but it'll still be only a few times a week, just I have been going in. Gonna take time to get the situation under control down there.  I know quite a few people that have basically stopped using public transit and they go into Manhattan by car or via Uber. 

Beyond the anti-terrorism unit that meets at Bowling Green in the AM, or the platoon that blocks the stairs at Grand Central, I see more NYPD on the SI Ferry than I do the (R) or (1).

Still haven’t seen any of those 500 (MTA) PD  Cuomo ordered - unless they’re the State Troopers that hang out at St George Ferry or in front of the 120th Precinct across the street. And don’t get me started about how panhandling is illegal inside  St George Ferry but that entire NYPD Ferry Patrol doesn’t enforce it despite having a whole station inside.

Best way to change the narrative from the ACAB Progressives’ line and get trust from us demos that are always on the negative end of police excess - since we actually want effective and respectful policing is to police sans the “YOU WILL GET BEATEN UNTIL YOU RESPECT US” mindset.

That’s not what Pat Lynch & Co want though, but lemme stop with the sociopoliticals.

24 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Beyond the anti-terrorism unit that meets at Bowling Green in the AM, or the platoon that blocks the stairs at Grand Central, I see more NYPD on the SI Ferry than I do the (R) or (1).

Still haven’t seen any of those 500 (MTA) PD  Cuomo ordered - unless they’re the State Troopers that hang out at St George Ferry or in front of the 120th Precinct across the street. And don’t get me started about how panhandling is illegal inside  St George Ferry but that entire NYPD Ferry Patrol doesn’t enforce it despite having a whole station inside.

Best way to change the narrative from the ACAB Progressives’ line and get trust from us demos that are always on the negative end of police excess - since we actually want effective and respectful policing is to police sans the “YOU WILL GET BEATEN UNTIL YOU RESPECT US” mindset.

That’s not what Pat Lynch & Co want though, but lemme stop with the sociopoliticals.

No chance that we're going back to those days. Too many eyes on everyone now... And cell phone cameras...

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No chance that we're going back to those days. Too many eyes on everyone now... And cell phone cameras...

Cops nationwide keep resisting. And videos didn’t stop that one guy by Barclays knocking that woman onto the curb, nor those Manhattan units from kettling protesters and hitting them when they tried going over the bridges to comply with DeBlasio’s curfew.

Thats why I’m not a fan of Mayor McCheese’s using cops to expel hobos from the subway when there’s a whole Homeless Department AND Housing police units with Social Workers that should be down there sorting all this out (since all but a few would be eligible for Medicaid and housing vouchers) versus general police who are trained to take control of a situation by any means necessary except negotiating (unless you’re in a certain demographic).

45 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Cops nationwide keep resisting. And videos didn’t stop that one guy by Barclays knocking that woman onto the curb, nor those Manhattan units from kettling protesters and hitting them when they tried going over the bridges to comply with DeBlasio’s curfew.

Thats why I’m not a fan of Mayor McCheese’s using cops to expel hobos from the subway when there’s a whole Homeless Department AND Housing police units with Social Workers that should be down there sorting all this out (since all but a few would be eligible for Medicaid and housing vouchers) versus general police who are trained to take control of a situation by any means necessary except negotiating (unless you’re in a certain demographic).

I hear ya, but in the case of Adams, if people aren't using the system, it will continue to impact the economy.

On 4/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, Deucey said:

=====

With regard to Adams. it's believed he became Mayor in no small part because Andrew Yang's campaign and the focus on it by the mainstream media caused Adams not to be properly vetted.  

As for the Transit Police, in hindsight it likely was a bad move by Giuliani but the mentality then was a lot different than now. 

Subways are not great now, but they're better than they were a few months ago, I'll say that. West 4th is a complete living hell after 8pm, and permanent Night of the Living Dead on the lower level at the ends of the platform, but besides that... Knock on wood, but I haven't personally felt unsafe, just disappointed and frustrated – stepping over people passed on the steps, etc. Now, I feel a little different about women on the train at night, I have some more concerns about them riding alone.

Generally thinking, the whole thing is just sad and a failure of strategic planning. Adams needs to have a plan to open shelters or SROs and provide housing before booting everybody out. Otherwise, he just shuffles them from station to station and wastes everybody's time. Same goes for the raids above ground. They accomplish nothing until there's housing to replace the street. Provide some safe beds, and we get somewhere. 

Not to mention that the drug problem is as bad as ever. I called in EMS/PD just on Sunday (street level) for two overdoses, dispatcher was asking me if I had narcan and I'm thinking no, lady, thank god my life is not at the point where I carry that... Young guys too, couldn't have been more than 20 or 25, midday afternoon. 

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

That comment did not age well in retrospect. 😅

Eh, an awful isolated incident is, on a statistical basis, less damning than a larger number of individual incidents. But definitely isn't good for people's perception of the subway.

I've said this before though never on here so I'll add my two cents: The situation going on in the subways as well as the city in general are all largely due to the 2020 George Floyd riots that was never properly addressed. If the police in this city had PROPER leadership like they used to, things wouldn't be spiraling out of control or atleast not to the same extent that they are now. This is truly despicable and the only way to stop this is to perhaps consider transit issued firearms and have the MTA Police train all Train and Bus operators as well as other MTA employees how to use them. This will let people know who's in charge and hold these punks accountable to their criminal actions. Guns, Brass knuckles, and other assault weapons should be legalized all across the city.

26 minutes ago, Joel Powers said:

I've said this before though never on here so I'll add my two cents: The situation going on in the subways as well as the city in general are all largely due to the 2020 George Floyd riots that was never properly addressed. If the police in this city had PROPER leadership like they used to, things wouldn't be spiraling out of control or atleast not to the same extent that they are now. This is truly despicable and the only way to stop this is to perhaps consider transit issued firearms and have the MTA Police train all Train and Bus operators as well as other MTA employees how to use them. This will let people know who's in charge and hold these punks accountable to their criminal actions. Guns, Brass knuckles, and other assault weapons should be legalized all across the city.

Legalize corporal punishment in schools too. The young‘ns don’t get enough ROI for their shit behavior.

1 minute ago, CenSin said:

Legalize corporal punishment in schools too. The young‘ns don’t get enough ROI for their shit behavior.

It's like I said though, none of that will happen until the right people are installed into power. You don't want trendy liberals running everything.

2 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

Talk about off-the-wall nonsense... The amount of liability and the potential for more lawsuits would skyrocket ten fold.