34th street shuttle

metsfan

Sould there be a 34th st shuttle?  

1. 1. Sould there be a 34th st shuttle?

I am curious to see who thinks a 34th street shuttle would be useful, not taking into account current budget issues, which will obviously pass.

I am thinking this would be incredibly useful once the ESA is done, and especially if the tunnel isnt extended to GCT from the ARC project.

The shuttle could connect the (1)(2)(3), (A)(C)(E), (:((D)(F)(V), (N)(Q)(R)(W), (4)(5)(6), (7), and travel across from penn station to lexington & up to GCT.

There could be a local "shuttle", then one that just connected nyp to gct with no intermediate stops.

Remember this is pure idea, based on rider patterns, not on funding availability.

- A

Like i said it's based on rider patterns. I dunno if you've ever been in midtown during evening peak hours. I have and its a clogged mess. If we did the shuttle the way i think it would be best, it would be a much less clogged mess.

People using NJT or amtrak to commute could hop on it vs using the lex.

People using GCT to commute would have more options aside from just the lex.

Reverse direction riders wouldn't get the shaft.

People using the (7), (N), (F), (Q) and (D) would not have to walk on street level to get to gct or penn station, especially good when the weather is bein' crazy.

You could travel between GCT and NYP effortlessly.

In case of amtrak strike LIRR service could be taken from GCT without much trouble.

- A

I had said a 34th St. line should be a branch of Second Av. that way; it wouldn't have to be a special isolated service, but rather an intermediate route and destinationfor Second Ave. trains. Like a (Y) from downtown and Brooklyn, and perhaps they could reroute the V through what will be the unused connection to Queens, and then it would cut across on 34th.

Otherwise, perhaps the best plan for a 34th Ste line would not be to connect it with the subway at all, but rather use the existing NEC tracks; especially if they're planning all sorts of expansions such as new river tunnels, new terminal under Macy's, etc. Just build some stations on the outermost tracks at the major avenues between Javits and 2nd Av. and LIRR could run the service, and already have the yard for it.

Under my plan, 34th St. shuttle wouldn't be a shuttle but part of an existing service like the other crosstowns. It would feed into the Northern Blvd. line in Queens going all the way to Bell Blvd. via the express. The local tracks on this line could feed into 63rd St. This is possible since IINM the LIRR tracks run under 33rd/32nd. Also, under this plan, no one in Northern Queens has higher than a 30 minute bus ride to the subway.

I dunno if this is Possible

Maybe Track (1)/(3) of the 42nd street shuttle can fun down to 34th street and then head toward Javit Center?

Simply use the IRT Lex connector, but instead have a tunnel go under the Lex tunnel.

Track 3 train merges with new track to track 1

Late nights only track 1 is open

Stops:

34th and Park ave south (Connect with (6) )

34th and 5th (After a turn from the last stop) Connect with (D)(:((F)(V)(N)(R)(Q)(W) PATH

34th and Penn> (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E) NJT, LIRR, Amtrak

34th and 10th Ave

34th and 12 Ave

More like the Midtown Cross Town Shuttle, but they will need a few more train sets, cuz 7 cars wont do. Track (4) Remains the 42nd Street Shuttle (Almost express lol)

According to Vision42, they want to make either 42nd St Lightrail or 42nd-34th St Lightrails from river to river.

One of president of New York Waterway supports the Vision42.

A light rail system would be good, but then again we need free transfers.

It's a great idea that actually improves many commutes... but...

You will have to go under the Lex Ave Line, Murray Hill Tunnel, IND 6th Avenue, Broadway, PATH, 7th Avenue Lines and 8th Avenue Lines... the ESB may have to be underpinned. So I'm not sure how deep these tunnels will be.

But overall great plan... instead of a crosstown line, I would prefer a "loop line"... going under both 42nd Street and 34th Street.

Under my plan, 34th St. shuttle wouldn't be a shuttle but part of an existing service like the other crosstowns. It would feed into the Northern Blvd. line in Queens going all the way to Bell Blvd. via the express. The local tracks on this line could feed into 63rd St. This is possible since IINM the LIRR tracks run under 33rd/32nd. Also, under this plan, no one in Northern Queens has higher than a 30 minute bus ride to the subway.

It could be similar to the rockaway shuttle under that plan.

I dunno if this is Possible

Maybe Track (1)/(3) of the 42nd street shuttle can fun down to 34th street and then head toward Javit Center?

Simply use the IRT Lex connector, but instead have a tunnel go under the Lex tunnel.

Track 3 train merges with new track to track 1

Late nights only track 1 is open

Stops:

34th and Park ave south (Connect with (6) )

34th and 5th (After a turn from the last stop) Connect with (D)(:D(F)(V)(N)(R)(Q)(W) PATH

34th and Penn> (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E) NJT, LIRR, Amtrak

34th and 10th Ave

34th and 12 Ave

More like the Midtown Cross Town Shuttle, but they will need a few more train sets, cuz 7 cars wont do. Track (4) Remains the 42nd Street Shuttle (Almost express lol)

That would also work as long as the switches were rebuilt & beefed up.

A 34 Street Shuttle wouldn't be a bad idea. I like it, What kind of subway cars and what division would it be, though?

You could make it 4 or 5 car ind/bmt loading gauge. 8 or 10 car during peak hours. I say make it NTT after R188/R179 are out, part of that order.

According to Vision42, they want to make either 42nd St Lightrail or 42nd-34th St Lightrails from river to river.

One of president of New York Waterway supports the Vision42.

Light rail would be VERY interesting, however one of the main advantages of tunnel would be that you don't have to be exposed to the weather.

A light rail system would be good, but then again we need free transfers.

Free transfers to this shuttle no matter how its done. I prefer tunnel for reasons stated above.

It's a great idea that actually improves many commutes... but...

You will have to go under the Lex Ave Line, Murray Hill Tunnel, IND 6th Avenue, Broadway, PATH, 7th Avenue Lines and 8th Avenue Lines... the ESB may have to be underpinned. So I'm not sure how deep these tunnels will be.

But overall great plan... instead of a crosstown line, I would prefer a "loop line"... going under both 42nd Street and 34th Street.

The ESB could get a stairway, escalator, or elevator in the lobby, leave the tunnel in the middle of the street below everything. PATH is half a block south of 34th st so you could dig a connection there similar to the hallway connecting the (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E).

Access would be provided to the (T) via walkway from its own 34th st station over to the lex. I believe they will have walkways between express stations on the lex connectig to the (T).

- A

Slightly off topic, Vison42 want to make entrire 42nd St auto-free lightrail boulevard, so pedestrain wouldn't have to worry about cars. Only Emergency Vehicle.

Eastbound westbound traffic diverted to nearby crosstown streets.

If this happened for real, what do you think where M104 bus goes?

All Staten Island X buses properly use 34th St approach by?

http://www.vision42.org/

Slightly off topic, Vison42 want to make entrire 42nd St auto-free lightrail boulevard, so pedestrain wouldn't have to worry about cars. Only Emergency Vehicle.

Eastbound westbound traffic diverted to nearby crosstown streets.

If this happened for real, what do you think where M104 bus goes?

All Staten Island X buses properly use 34th St approach by?

http://www.vision42.org/

Not totally off topic. I don't like the idea. I've been on 34th street so many times it would make your head spin & fly off. I think 34th st is not very crowded with vehicles most of the time. If you blocked it off you'll be putting pressure on 33rd and 35th. Now, 33rd st leads directly in front of MSG, so i'd say that was a bad idea. 35th st is filled with delivery trucks for macy's & other stores and isn't really a place you'd wanna drive thru at night. I avoid it, too much chance of getting hit by something. It's not really meant to carry heavy traffic. If you go there vs 34th stree & compare you'll see what i mean. I think it might be narrower too.

In any case you could pair this project with the freight tunnel to ensure plenty of work to go around. Use alp-46 to haul the stuff from NJ to LI.

That however is another topic for another thread. :rolleyes:

- A

Bus has its place, you know, many people are just not into the bus scene, especially because the point of the shuttle is to avoid street level issues like traffic and weather. Rail is more green and safer.

I just don't see light rail working in manhattan, at least in midtown. Too congested and complicated. Where would you draw power from, how would you put tracks in the street, how would you do signaling, and how would you keep the tracks free of crap?

I really encourage all of you to travel this route during evening peak hours, both directions. Do the (1)(2)(3)-(S) then when you're done that route walk from 7th and do the (4)(5)(6). It isn't fun.

- A

Archived