what happened to the R68 train cars of the N line?

Marco927

In the late 1980's, the N line started receiving the R68 train cars. I have not seen those R68 cars on the N line for a while. Instead, the cars used on the N line now are the older cars with the fake wood panels near the doors. What are those old cars called. Why did MTA switch the R68 cars?

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Those old cars are called the R46. (N) line uses R68/68As regularly, odd that you haven't seen one recently. The 68s are actually more common on the (N) now than when the line had R160s.

The (N) and (W) run more 46s now than R68As and R68s. There was a shift some months ago when I noticed this.

Well, for much of the 2000s into the 2010s, the N was mostly R160s. it was only with the CBTC coming online on Queens Blvd that they gave them up and got the R46s in return. 

When the 160s came in, they sent the 68/As to lines that that were still using even older cars that were being retired. The B, for example, was still running with R40 Slants at the time. 

19 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well, for much of the 2000s into the 2010s, the N was mostly R160s. it was only with the CBTC coming online on Queens Blvd that they gave them up and got the R46s in return. 

When the 160s came in, they sent the 68/As to lines that that were still using even older cars that were being retired. The B, for example, was still running with R40 Slants at the time. 

Back then, when the (N) had R160s from the first day the (Q) was extended to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd only on weekdays (June 2010) to cover the (W) line up to 2017: they'll have at least 6 R68/As to cover service. They were switched from the (Q) due to terminal changes on the line during late nights and weekends using the R160. That was on the weekdays, weekends: their amount of the R68/As are in lay-up (C.I Yard, City Hall or Astoria) with the (B)(At: Concourse/Coney Island) . 

Edited by Calvin

I think the (N)(W) and (Q) had the same distribution of R68s and R46s from 2020-2021, then because of rollsign problems with the R68 constantly changing from (N) to (W) they made the (N)(W) fully R46 and the (Q) about half R46 (because the Broadway line doesn't have enough R68s to fill the (Q) as the (Q) R68s were taken from the (G) I believe)

On 9/30/2022 at 5:47 PM, Reptile said:

I think the (N)(W) and (Q) had the same distribution of R68s and R46s from 2020-2021, then because of rollsign problems with the R68 constantly changing from (N) to (W) they made the (N)(W) fully R46 and the (Q) about half R46 (because the Broadway line doesn't have enough R68s to fill the (Q) as the (Q) R68s were taken from the (G) I believe)

That was the original plan (even when the swap was in its first phase).

The first phase left 90 R160s in Coney Island, 120 R68s and 396 R46s to be distributed among the (G)(N)(Q)(W), and in practice, the assignments were as follows:

(G) - 52 R68s

(N) / (W) - 80 R160s + 64 R68s + 128 R46s

(Q) - 168 R46s

*Then the (G) started taking some R46s so that the (Q) wasn't screwed over with a full R46 fleet, and the (Q) had some R68s in rotation. (Plus the (B)'s spares on weekends).

Even though the (G) and R160s have left Coney Island, operations probably do not want a full R46 fleet on ANY route (that is not a shuttle) due to low reliability, hence why the CI R68s are split between the (N) and (Q) (even though on paper they're all on the (N)). 

21 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

That was the original plan (even when the swap was in its first phase).

The first phase left 90 R160s in Coney Island, 120 R68s and 396 R46s to be distributed among the (G)(N)(Q)(W), and in practice, the assignments were as follows:

(G) - 52 R68s

(N) / (W) - 80 R160s + 64 R68s + 128 R46s

(Q) - 168 R46s

*Then the (G) started taking some R46s so that the (Q) wasn't screwed over with a full R46 fleet, and the (Q) had some R68s in rotation. (Plus the (B)'s spares on weekends).

Even though the (G) and R160s have left Coney Island, operations probably do not want a full R46 fleet on ANY route (that is not a shuttle) due to low reliability, hence why the CI R68s are split between the (N) and (Q) (even though on paper they're all on the (N)). 

I've seen a decent amount of R68s on the (Q) recently but I don't take that route often, might be because they run more reliable fleets during peak hours