R142 for the 7

mark1447

Once CBTC hits the (7) , the R142/A/Ss from the (2)(4)(5)<5>(6)<6> , will they get replaced by the R62As? Cuz I heard some are getting converted too CBTC, why cant they just have the 188s for the (7)

And why does the MTA needs to remove em from these lines? Unless they are gonna take down the R142S from the (4) ?

What do we(some) bronx commuter get in return? lol limited service for us? or R62s from the (3)?

just curious

it seems like soon the subway is going 2 be all NTT...cause in 4-7 years the R44/46 Will be gone and BMT/IND will be all R160/179 and then with the arrival of the R188 ( if it does exist ) the IRT will be R142, R142a, and the R188. I just think it seems like whats going to happen only cause the R188 ( if true ) is coming soon...if not then the R62s and R62as are in good condition for 20 year old cars they cud last 20 more years...It just doesnt add up...cause some cars have 2 go...

..oh yeah the R68 too!

Would it be this ?

IRT - R142, R142a, R188

as of say... 2015?

BMT/IND - R68, R143, R160A, R160B, R179

it seems like soon the subway is going 2 be all NTT...cause in 4-7 years the R44/46 Will be gone and BMT/IND will be all R160/179 and then with the arrival of the R188 ( if it does exist ) the IRT will be R142, R142a, and the R188. I just think it seems like whats going to happen only cause the R188 ( if true ) is coming soon...if not then the R62s and R62as are in good condition for 20 year old cars they cud last 20 more years...It just doesnt add up...cause some cars have 2 go...

From what I understand so far, the R-188s are not going to be an entire fleet of new trains. They are simply going to be additional R-142A B-cars to be added to existing 5-car sets of R-142As lengthening them to 6-car sets to make up 11-car trains for the (7). I don't think the additional cars will be enough to warrant the reefing of any R-62s, especially since Subdivision A could use the extra cars.

No R188 would make me happy! I'd want to see R-62 on the (7) train... It sooo matches what the only Queens EL should be...

As someone who rides the (7)<7> every day, I'm gonna have to disagree. The R62As are OK on the line, but R142A/R188 would be a definite improvement. For starters, I'd finally be able to tell an express from a local. Especially recently, several express trains have been arriving at stations signed up for the local, and then when I stuck my head in, the conductor says "Express!" Having the digital signs and the clear automated announcements on the R188s would preclude the need to do this and will lessen the amount of confusion that takes place in stations that have both express and local platform on the same track (e.g. Grand Central). Second, if CTBC was implemented (successfully) there would be shorter headways between trains reducing the amount of time between trains, and possibly faster trains as well (I'm not versed in how CTBC works, so forgive me if I have made a mistake). Remember, it's not just about looks. It's about practicality.

Second, if CTBC was implemented (successfully) there would be shorter headways between trains reducing the amount of time between trains, and possibly faster trains as well (I'm not versed in how CTBC works, so forgive me if I have made a mistake). Remember, it's not just about looks. It's about practicality.

Judging by the result of the CBTC on the (L), I wouldn't look forward to its implementation on the (7) which in some ways is a bit more complex since it has a Local & Express and the merging of the two at points. I would think this would make it more difficult, but maybe someone could clarify. Not to mention the weekend closures (bustitution) that would take place. Aren't the (7)'s usual disruptions bad enough?

Once CBTC hits the (7) , the R142/A/Ss from the (2)(4)(5)<5>(6)<6> , will they get replaced by the R62As? Cuz I heard some are getting converted too CBTC, why cant they just have the 188s for the (7)

And why does the MTA needs to remove em from these lines? Unless they are gonna take down the R142S from the (4) ?

What do we(some) bronx commuter get in return? lol limited service for us? or R62s from the (3)?

just curious

There not taking both R142's and R142A's for the (7) line. The MTA will have a bid between Kawasaki and bumbardier and whoever wins (Kawasaki 142A) and (Bombardier 142) goes to the (7) line. Your question cannot really be answered unless someone here can see into the future as we don't know who is going to win the bid.

Judging by the result of the CBTC on the (L), I wouldn't look forward to its implementation on the (7) which in some ways is a bit more complex since it has a Local & Express and the merging of the two at points. I would think this would make it more difficult, but maybe someone could clarify. Not to mention the weekend closures (bustitution) that would take place. Aren't the (7)'s usual disruptions bad enough?

Some of the bus fans will look forward to (7) line bustitions due to the fact that Artics would be running in service in Queens, which doesn't normally happen.

Hence why I said successfully... and that's just the next step, implementing CBTC with express and local, before they start doing it with different routes (if they ever do).

Some of the bus fans will look forward to (7) line bustitions due to the fact that Artics would be running in service in Queens, which doesn't normally happen.

I wouldn't mind that.

Goodness! I don't want no new trains on the (7)<7> line!!! I need the R-62 to stay there like literally locked there for the next 2-3 decades!!! I can't handle the new whiny boring trains that have the same announcer on every unit!!!

Isn't that taking it a bit too far?

Besides, it would probably be better for the rest of us passengers if we could actually tell what train is coming instead of sticking our heads into the cars and then having to pull them back out again. You see, all of the side destination signs are mixed up, and the front ones aren't completely reliable to show express or local... Better for us commuters if some NTTs arrive on the line. I hate to admit this, but they aren't really necessary on the (2)(4)(5) because those are all different routes instead of an express and local version of the same route... once the train gets to the station you would know immediately, unlike the (6)<6> (if the R62s were still on that line) and (7)<7>

Goodness... But, I don't care if it is express or local! It is easy to switch to another train if it is express or vice versa! Just waste 1-5 minutes or so but I just don't care! It is still what the (7)<7> should be like, with older trains! It is culture line! The (7)<7> is the last line to operate the RedBirds so it should be the last to operate the R-62! Get it and stop wasting the MTA money before you end up paying $3.00 for a ride... Then, I'll just ride the LIRR for the rest of my life! XD!

Maybe you don't care, but quite a few other people care.

Culture line, feh. I only want the (7)<7> to run reliably. If that means new cars, so be it.

If I recall correctly LIRR is more expensive than the subway...

There not taking both R142's and R142A's for the (7) line. The MTA will have a bid between Kawasaki and bumbardier and whoever wins (Kawasaki 142A) and (Bombardier 142) goes to the (7) line. Your question cannot really be answered unless someone here can see into the future as we don't know who is going to win the bid.

I hope Kawasaki's R-142A/R-142S win the bid on the (7)<7>

Besides, it would probably be better for the rest of us passengers if we could actually tell what train is coming instead of sticking our heads into the cars and then having to pull them back out again. You see, all of the side destination signs are mixed up, and the front ones aren't completely reliable to show express or local... Better for us commuters if some NTTs arrive on the line. I hate to admit this, but they aren't really necessary on the (2)(4)(5) because those are all different routes instead of an express and local version of the same route... once the train gets to the station you would know immediately, unlike the (6)<6> (if the R62s were still on that line) and (7)<7>

Having NTTs on the (7) may relieve some confusion with at least a guarantee of the front display and the announcements being correct & audible, but the side-signs will likely be cycling at least two displays. I'd imagine that were would still be door holdings and folks annoying a conductor at every stop. BTW, last time I rode the (7) during midday, an older C/R would hold a paper sign with "(7) Local" out his window at every stop in addition to announcing "local train, local train, local train, local, local" repeatedly. The irony was that on this particular day <7> Exp service was suspended. :D I was just wondering if these measures are standard procedure on the (7) now?

Having NTTs on the (7) may relieve some confusion with at least a guarantee of the front display and the announcements being correct & audible, but the side-signs will likely be cycling at least two displays. I'd imagine that were would still be door holdings and folks annoying a conductor at every stop. BTW, last time I rode the (7) during midday, an older C/R would hold a paper sign with "(7) Local" out his window at every stop in addition to announcing "local train, local train, local train, local, local" repeatedly. The irony was that on this particular day <7> Exp service was suspended. :D I was just wondering if these measures are standard procedure on the (7) now?

Hmmm... I think I saw that guy once with a "<7> Express" sign. I haven't seen anyone else do it since. The only people who would be holding doors or annoying the conductor are the people who don't look or listen.

The side signs would be cycling, but I imagine they would cycle between the destination and the "Express/Local" sign only, since the (7)<7> is isolated from every other line (as in, it shares its tracks with no other line)...

Archived