MTA to adjust Subway Services in 2023

https://new.mta.info/press-release/new-york-city-transit-outlines-subway-service-adjustments-coming-2023

New scheduled service changes coming next year includes:

• Increase of weekend service on the (G)(J)(M) lines by reducing headways by 2 minutes
  • (A)(C) express/local rush hour service to begin earlier during weekdays. A morning rush hour (A) to Manhattan will start one trip early while a (C) local service will start earlier to compliment the (A) shift
  • Reductions to the (1)(6)(7)(E)(F)(L)(Q) lines Monday to Fridays due to overall low ridership during weekdays (thanks to hybrid WFH options becoming more of a norm).

These changes are to go effect around June 2023.

I think this is a poor decision.  Sure they should increase service on weekends since ridership is growing and has rebounded faster, but they're doing this during the week in JUNE, when more people may be out and about because of warmer weather.  This change is coming SIX months from now... I actually avoid traveling with the (MTA) on Mondays because they can't meet their schedules. They should consider that. They are still struggling with staffing and dealing with cancellations.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 12/19/2022 at 3:30 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

https://new.mta.info/press-release/new-york-city-transit-outlines-subway-service-adjustments-coming-2023

New scheduled service changes coming next year includes:

• Increase of weekend service on the (G)(J)(M) lines by reducing headways by 2 minutes
  • (A)(C) express/local rush hour service to begin earlier during weekdays. A morning rush hour (A) to Manhattan will start one trip early while a (C) local service will start earlier to compliment the (A) shift
  • Reductions to the (1)(6)(7)(E)(F)(L)(Q) lines Monday to Fridays due to overall low ridership during weekdays (thanks to hybrid WFH options becoming more of a norm).

These changes are to go effect around June 2023.

Minor correction at the end. They're reducing Monday AND Friday service. Service levels on Tuesday-Thursday will remain the same.

Depending on how much they reduce (E) and (F) I am mostly okay with this. If they say reduce service from every 5 minutes to say 6-7 minutes on these two days ,I been talking about this for a while, reallocating some peak services (even if only Fri/Mon) to weekends

But the QBL will see NO service improvement on the weekend (and nights). They mention how (G)(J) and (M) have longer headway than other lines, but that is a lie, most of the IND runs at 12 minutes headway on weekends, while (G)(J) and (M) I believe runs every 10 minutes.

I mean I understand there is construction going on along QBL but seriously, construction has been going on on weekends for the past 20 YEARS already.

The headway are so bad on weekend, and with the general unreliability of the QBL I rather take the (7) than deal with waiting potentially 25 minute for a (E) train (like what happen to me last week), or a train that crawls from Roosevelt, all the way to Queens Plaza 

6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

The headway are so bad on weekend, and with the general unreliability of the QBL I rather take the (7) than deal with waiting potentially 25 minute for a (E) train (like what happen to me last week), or a train that crawls from Roosevelt, all the way to Queens Plaza 

I've conceded to taking LIRR. Only hop on QBL if I have no other choice now.

8 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

They mention how (G)(J) and (M) have longer headway than other lines, but that is a lie, most of the IND runs at 12 minutes headway on weekends, while (G)(J) and (M) I believe runs every 10 minutes.

The (G) is one thing because it runs 5 car trains and ridership had been steadily increasing pre-pandemic, but the (J)and (M) having 8 minute headways while lines like the (E) and (F) running every 12 minutes is really a poor call.

It was probably easier to add (J) and (M) service because 1. they dont really interline with anything else and 2. the (M) in particular was a cheap add because it's a shuttle on the weekends. But overall, the (G)(J)(M) running times are indeed shorter than an (A)(D)(F) or (R)

Edited by paulrivera

On 12/21/2022 at 2:30 PM, paulrivera said:

The (G) is one thing because it runs 5 car trains and ridership had been steadily increasing pre-pandemic, but the (J)and (M) having 8 minute headways while lines like the (E) and (F) running every 12 minutes is really a poor call.

It was probably easier to add (J) and (M) service because 1. they dont really interline with anything else and 2. the (M) in particular was a cheap add because it's a shuttle on the weekends. But overall, the (G)(J)(M) running times are indeed shorter than an (A)(D)(F) or (R)

Williamsburg and its surrounding is probably the biggest winner of this. Both the (J) and (M) will run every 8 min at least on Saturday, and they usually run staggered over the Williamsburg Bridge

Almost everyone else lose. Especially in Queens along the QBL/Flushing.

The (MTA) mention that the 12 minute headway on the QBL is only to support construction on the line. Geez I wonder when that will end? It's been going on since 2008 and earlier, almost every weekend