What improvements does the Staten Island Railway need to work on?

Kexpress

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Direct connection to the subway will likely never happen. There will either be a connection to HBLR/PATH in bayonne, or a shuttle tram service on the narrows bridge. People seem to forget that you can't make subway lines huge long connectors like some on here have proposed. It really isn't fun to have to ride that long!! Not only that, but tunneling across/under the harbor is not a good idea especially if you can simply take the traffic through nj which it all ready can (there is a rail bridge in place). I love riding the subway, but after riding PATH i can tell you that the last thing we need is a loooooong expensive complicated connection with no stations for like 2 miles!

- A

Well at least let the (MTA) connect the NYC subway with SIRT and it does not have to be used in revenue service and it can be for connection only and acess to other yards and lines.

That would be highly stupid and a waste.

Like Andy said, the best rail connection would be via NJ. The connection will have to be HBLR or a new light rail line that would connect with HBLR at West 8th Street in Bayonne, NJ. Having SIR connect to it would be much harder and more expensive to do.

For Brooklyn, buses can handle the job well to get to the (R) if they were a little more reliable and promoted more.

And trying to get straight to Manhattan, SI Ferry never disappoints and you also have the express buses that run good service between SI and Manhattan.

That would be highly stupid and a waste.

Like Andy said, the best rail connection would be via NJ. The connection will have to be HBLR or a new light rail line that would connect with HBLR at West 8th Street in Bayonne, NJ. Having SIR connect to it would be much harder and more expensive to do.

For Brooklyn, buses can handle the job well to get to the (R) if they were a little more reliable and promoted more.

And trying to get straight to Manhattan, SI Ferry never disappoints and you also have the express buses that run good service between SI and Manhattan.

Hey not fair that staten island part of five brough and not have connection with a subway.

Geographically, SI may be closer to NJ and might even prefer to be part of NJ short of seceding, but they are part of NYC, and as with Liberty island, New Yorkers are fairly possessive of it. If that public feeling of possessiveness about SI were exploited strategically, a tunnel or bridge for rail from Brooklyn could happen. Even if a fuller transit link with NJ were established, such a tunnel would be in the interest of Brookynites and Long Islanders as an additional path to the mainland. The easier and cheaper transfer of NYCT and LIRR rolling stock is only one benefit.

What does the Staten Island Railway need to improve?

My opinion

I think the SIRT needs a tunnel or bridge connection with NYC Subway.

The Staten Island Railway needs turnstiles on all station on the line.

I reluctantly agree with the turnstiles. Hoodlums usually ride the SIRT and act up. This would be a deterrent.

I reluctantly agree with the turnstiles. Hoodlums usually ride the SIRT and act up. This would be a deterrent.

Thank you. You know there should be a law like this: All Train stations on all Train lines on all transit system must have turnstiles with vending machine and with token booth,and for some reason I say there should be that law for all places around the world because we need safety and no cheaters.

Hey not fair that staten island part of five brough and not have connection with a subway.

Thats bull, don't give me that. And there is a connection to the subway, its called taking the ferry or taking the bus. We've already established that a straight subway connection can't happen now.

Do you have the millions and millions of dollars to give to the MTA so they can send the (R) or whatever to Staten Island? I highly doubt it. So much federal funding has to go into such a project, and if I was the MTA, I wouldn't dare to ask for money for a project like that. This connection isn't something desperately needed. NEXT!

Thats bull, don't give me that. And there is a connection to the subway, its called taking the ferry or taking the bus. We've already established that a straight subway connection can't happen now.

Do you have the millions and millions of dollars to give to the MTA so they can send the (R) or whatever to Staten Island? I highly doubt it. So much federal funding has to go into such a project, and if I was the MTA, I wouldn't dare to ask for money for a project like that. This connection isn't something desperately needed. NEXT!

I know there is the ferry and bus and i take it also but there should be at lesat one connection with SIRT and subway and maybe even LIRR and MNRR.

Well don't worry whenever (MTA) has billions and billions of dollars then they will have to spend it on make a connection with subway and with SIRT so the SIRT can have acess to brooklyn and NYC Subway acess to Staten Island with a bridge or tunnel connection and then the (MTA) can send there rest of the money on building more lines and save some for buget.

By the way I suggest to the (MTA) for the next captial plan.

I know there is the ferry and bus and i take it also but there should be at lesat one connection with SIRT and subway and maybe even LIRR and MNRR.

Well don't worry whenever (MTA) has billions and billions of dollars then they will have to spend it on make a connection with subway and with SIRT so the SIRT can have acess to brooklyn and NYC Subway acess to Staten Island with a bridge or tunnel connection and then the (MTA) can send there rest of the money on building more lines and save some for buget.

By the way I suggest to the (MTA) for the next captial plan.

Ok, few notes:

1. Stop dreaming. SIR to connect directly to LIRR or MNRR? Are you kidding me? C'mon dude, get serious. If everything around here is taken on a light note, then serious discussions can't go down when the times arises. That time is now, you want to hear what improvements need to happen on SIR, a few others and I have already told you.

2. You obvioulsy did not read what I said clearly. The MTA is in deep doo-doo. The government would deny the MTA federal funding for a direct SIR connection to the subway because it is not feasibly needed. So much has to be taken into account, and sadly people do not realize that, they think it is easy as 1 2 3. That is not how things happen with transit projects.

Ok, few notes:

1. Stop dreaming. SIR to connect directly to LIRR or MNRR? Are you kidding me? C'mon dude, get serious. If everything around here is taken on a light note, then serious discussions can't go down when the times arises. That time is now, you want to hear what improvements need to happen on SIR, a few others and I have already told you.

2. You obvioulsy did not read what I said clearly. The MTA is in deep doo-doo. The government would deny the MTA federal funding for a direct SIR connection to the subway because it is not feasibly needed. So much has to be taken into account, and sadly people do not realize that, they think it is easy as 1 2 3. That is not how things happen with transit projects.

1. Well LIRR and MNRR is Railroad like the SIRT is.

2. At least let the (MTA) make a connection with SIRT and Subway and it doesn't have to be used in revenue service it can be used for connection to acess Coney Island yard and NYC subway lines to go to other yard for maintance and also not all government will deny (MTA) MTA federal funding for Subway with SIRT and anyways the goverment people are not going to work in the ofiice forever there are more people next in line for job and they may approve their fuding,If i worked as a goverment I would approve that funding.

3. I don't care how transition from the FRA standardard signaling to NYCTA standards.

4. When you weren't here for a long time:),mark1447 made a poll about An IND/BMT To Staten Island or the oppsite around in this tread http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6214 and most people voted for yes.

2. At least let the (MTA) make a connection with SIRT and Subway and it doesn't have to be used in revenue service it can be used for connection to acess Coney Island yard and NYC subway lines to go to other yard for maintance and also not all government will deny (MTA) MTA federal funding for Subway with SIRT and anyways the goverment people are not going to work in the ofiice forever there are more people next in line for job and they may approve their fuding,If i worked as a goverment I would approve that funding.

3. I don't care how transition from the FRA standardard signaling to NYCTA standards.

4. When you weren't here for a long time:),mark1447 made a poll about An IND/BMT To Staten Island or the oppsite around in this tread http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6214 and most people voted for yes.

1. So what. That still does not mean anything.

2. That still cost money to make a connection between SIR and the NYC Subway, even if it is not in revenue service! For federal funding, there has to be a majority. Sure, you can wait til the next set of legislators and counselors and whatever come into office, but you have to convince them why should they give money for such a project and say all the factors that go into it. If you work for the government, sure you can support it and have your approval on it, but you have to convince the others why they should approve of it also.

3. Of course you don't care if a transition from FRA standards to NYCT standards for signals and operation happens because you don't know really know why it is like it is now. In the case of SIR, it is not that hard but if the freight connection it has is needed, there is absolutely no changing it.

4. I could care less about what was going on during my absence from this forum. I don't give a damn if the majority said yes, that is there their opinion. Some of those options for the poll is a joke anyway.

1. How are you going to connect them at all? Dig under Manhattan from Penn and GCT? That's a big no no. Besides, just because they are both "railroads" does not mean that they should be connected. Heck, the subway is technically a railroad.

2. Like Pablo said, it still costs money to build the thing, and since it would be a tunnel under a river, costs would be up, something that the (MTA) probably couldn't afford right now.

3. Whatever. See Pablo's post.

4. That means we would like to see it happen, not that it would actually happen. I voted yes; does that mean that I think it will actually happen? No.

1. So what. That still does not mean anything.

2. That still cost money to make a connection between SIR and the NYC Subway, even if it is not in revenue service! For federal funding, there has to be a majority. Sure, you can wait til the next set of legislators and counselors and whatever come into office, but you have to convince them why should they give money for such a project and say all the factors that go into it. If you work for the government, sure you can support it and have your approval on it, but you have to convince the others why they should approve of it also.

3. Of course you don't care if a transition from FRA standards to NYCT standards for signals and operation happens because you don't know really know why it is like it is now. In the case of SIR, it is not that hard but if the freight connection it has is needed, there is absolutely no changing it.

4. I could care less about what was going on during my absence from this forum. I don't give a damn if the majority said yes, that is there their opinion. Some of those options for the poll is a joke anyway.

1. Don't care.

2. Yeah I will try to convince the next legislators and counselors that come in the office.

3. oh well.

4. It was a great days when you were absence :). When I was absence before you,I didn't care.

1. How are you going to connect them at all? Dig under Manhattan from Penn and GCT? That's a big no no. Besides, just because they are both "railroads" does not mean that they should be connected. Heck, the subway is technically a railroad.

2. Like Pablo said, it still costs money to build the thing, and since it would be a tunnel under a river, costs would be up, something that the (MTA) probably couldn't afford right now.

3. Whatever. See Pablo's post.

4. That means we would like to see it happen, not that it would actually happen. I voted yes; does that mean that I think it will actually happen? No.

1. Well Metro north Railroad goes to NJ so we connect from NJ. The Long Island RailRoad is has a terminal in Brooklyn and it get extended to Staten Island.

2. Well the (MTA) can afford in the next decade.

3. No comment.

4. It may happen in the future unless we can make another bridge.

1. Well Metro north Railroad goes to NJ so we connect from NJ. The Long Island RailRoad is has a terminal in Brooklyn and it get extended to Staten Island.

2. Well the (MTA) can afford in the next decade.

3. No comment.

4. It may happen in the future unless we can make another bridge.

1. Metro North goes north in Jersey towards upstate, not south towards SI. And LIRR would involve another tunnel below the Harbor.

2. Who says?

4. Who says?

Well calm down peoples! There is a lot of reasons you didn't think of, here is some!:

First of all, you don't have to dig a damn tunnel under the New York Harbor from the City to the Island, since that would be pathetic!

Second of all, the (MTA) and NYSDOT has Staten Island interlocked so a trainsit that is from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Staten Island will have huge impact to Staten Island.

Third, the Verrazano Bridge + Staten Island Ferry cannot handle all these traffic and the Tunnel could be pararell to the Verrazano Bridge.

Fourth, the New East <-> West SIR line from Bay Ridge could fill the missing railroad on the North Shore also...

Fifth, the tunnel will only require one to two Boring Machine, few 'minor' traffic disruptions and some wiring and trackage... It won't cost as much as the SAS, I can tell...

Sixth, the damn connection to the (R) train can also connect to the LIRR, MNR... (R) to 42nd Street, (R) to Atlantic-Pacific!

And dammit, stop arguing, ;)!

1. Agree.

2. Huh?

3 and 4. These two services work very fine now. A subway or rail line to SI from Brooklyn or Manhattan would probably be overkill. Wait till Staten Island gets more populated. Then let's talk.

5. You sure about that? These days, many construction projects run over cost and over time... like the SAS. Who knows if digging a tunnel like this will be completed on time and on budget.

6. What the heck are you saying? That makes no sense at all.

Wow AWWang, I didn't know you were a Civil Engineer and knew what it took to design tunnels, knew what was needed to build them, how they are built and that they would be so easy to build. Don't know what the MTA is waiting for! They should hire you as the lead Engineer for the project!. *rolls eyes*

1. Metro North goes north in Jersey towards upstate, not south towards SI. And LIRR would involve another tunnel below the Harbor.

2. Who says?

4. Who says?

1. Agree.

2. Huh?

3 and 4. These two services work very fine now. A subway or rail line to SI from Brooklyn or Manhattan would probably be overkill. Wait till Staten Island gets more populated. Then let's talk.

5. You sure about that? These days, many construction projects run over cost and over time... like the SAS. Who knows if digging a tunnel like this will be completed on time and on budget.

6. What the heck are you saying? That makes no sense at all.

1. LIRR can be etxended to Staten Island from brooklyn to Staten Island and connect with SIRT and Metro North Railroad run in New Jersey along with NJ Transit and they can be extended to Staten Island.

2. Well if the (MTA) can win billions and billions of dallars they can do it in the next decade.

4. That was my idea.

1. No comment

2. No comment

3/4.Yes the service works well now. But it be a great idea to have NYC Subway exetended to Staten Island and have Staten Island Railway extended to Brookyln because we need to improve that we all care for Staten Islanders since they don't get what ever they want and gets no love and care. Buses to brookyn and staten island routes can be kept and even S.I ferry.

Archived