R44 going to early retire?

NYtransit

No MTR, I meant the seat configuration; transverse and side benches together. Although, I personally prefer bucket seating like that of an R68A.

Yeah I like that kind of seating configuration.

However it seems that they want to maximise the standing capacity rather than expanding the seating capacity. So all seating, for the most part, is longitudinal.

It's really too early to talk about the R179s because they are still in the design phase; it is not even placed for ordering.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...let me say this for the LAST TIME...

The R179s are still in design phase and the order MAY be scrapped due to financial concerns. I really suggest that we do not anticipate for it until it really is ordered and being built.

And please, AWWang, really... stop replying ill-wittedly to every reply out there in almost every post. It's really annoying, honestly.

Okay...let me say this for the LAST TIME...

The R179s are still in design phase and the order MAY be scrapped due to financial concerns. I really suggest that we do not anticipate for it until it really is ordered and being built.

And please, AWWang, really... stop replying ill-wittedly to every reply out there in almost every post. It's really annoying, honestly.

Agreed, friend. Like I responded to the other post, 1350 posts and counting.... in 2 months!

The MTA woulnt retire them unless they had 2 be retired. They look fine 2 me. I wonder why they would be retired early unless reasons given are based on mechanics, Hull integrity, performance, and improper maintainance; rather then say...age or, appearence of the train. I think I was being to shallow about the R38's...because they dont run bad or...give any hard times for me.

They are NOT going to retire early, despite their condition or say age.

The earliest they can retire is around 2015. This is because we need a sufficient amount of replacement cars to replace them and they are not ordered yet.

the R179 order is set to begin in mid 2009 and the first cars to be delivered in late 2010, so the earliest the R44s can retire is 2011, but the fleet will not be fully gone until 2015.

Where you got this from? Just to make sure.

Wikipedia, see here:

The R179 is scheduled to be ordered in 2009 and delivered by the end of 2013. The base order includes 208 cars. Also the MTA will order 64 additional cars for Staten Island Railway

Not a relaible source. I got 10 point off just for using WikiPedia as a source on my project.

Wikipedia, see here:

The R179 is scheduled to be ordered in 2009 and delivered by the end of 2013. The base order includes 208 cars. Also the MTA will order 64 additional cars for Staten Island Railway

Not a relaible source. I got 10 point off just for using WikiPedia as a source on my project.

Yeah, that really is not a reliable source. If the above is true, they will order the cars in the second quarter of 2009, the prototypes will arrive in say quarter 3 of 2010. Then the production cars should begin arriving around 2011; these sets will begin their testing and later, placement in service which will happen 2012. If this goes according to plan, R44s will begin retiring in 2013.

The R179 order is designed to replace all R44, I have calculated the number of R44 in service. There are 272. The 208 for NYCT and the 64 for SIR will be a combined 272.

Wikipedia, see here:

the MTA's 2008-2013 budget plans says exactly that. you should never use Wikipedia for a school project!!!! the R179s have to be delievered by 2010 because believe me, those ugly soda can R44s will not survive past 2011.

the MTA's 2008-2013 budget plans says exactly that. you should never use Wikipedia for a school project!!!! the R179s have to be delievered by 2010 because believe me, those ugly soda can R44s will not survive past 2011.

I know the 2008-2013 Captial Plan says that, but it doens't meant just because it was in the Capital Plan, it's gonna be ordered next year. Just for insticnts, the 2005-2009 capital plan was to rehab the Brighton Line. It's already 2009, and only two out of seven stations, us going under rehabilitation right now.

Source: mta.info 2005-2009 Capital Plan (PDF) Page 14

Here's to this, it is only a budget plan. It only calls for such a contract, which means they will only allocate money towards building the R179 cars, no where does it guarantee that they will be built during this time frame. It is a plan, which means they can follow it or they may not depending on financial reasons. Remember, the money is based on priority. The R179s are not the only thing the MTA is paying for, you have station rehabs, track repairs, tunnel repairs, new buses, bus/depot maintenance, the big money projects (SAS and ESA; don't forget this money will go towards funding the second phase of the SAS as well), LIRR/MNR maintenance, LIRR/MNR station repairs, new LIRR/MNR cars... just to name a few.

The one or two sentences Ulmer provided us from Wiki/the Capital Programme does not say those cars are going to be built for sure, they may be built later. And look, it said it will be ordered in 2009 (this year)... to date there is no news to the public on the design of the R179. So IMO, the R179 exists only on paper. If in fact the MTA does provide us a press release saying that they did ordered 272 cars from Company X, do I fully believe that this is happening, until then, I am not taking it seriously.

Well, wikipedia is starting to get somewhat reliable now back to un-reliable... :P...

The R-44 is not ugly soda cans, and if you are saying that they are ugly, then the MNR, LIRR and R-46 are also ugly soda cans... But believe me, the R-44 will survive or operate past 2011!

I agreed, the (MTA) capital program says it's goals this time, the R-179's may even be ordered in 2013, :P!

I agree fully on this, since it is much reliable to wait to see when it is ordered...

Just curious, is it a necessity for you to quote everyone?

Archived