R44 going to early retire?

NYtransit

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IND and BMT South. The (A)(C)(E)(H)(V) are purely IND. Those cars can't run on BMT East due to clearance issues ((J)(L)(M)(Z))

It's because the BMT Eastern Division was built to handle 60' cars. The turns are way too sharp to handle 75' cars (Ex. Look at the turn the (J)/(Z) makes after leaving Crescent St going northbound and before it gets to Cypress Hills.) They did a test in the 70's before the R44/R46 came out. They cut a few R1's in half and extended it to 75' to see which lines can get the 44/46, including the Staten Island Railroad. If you go on nycsubway.org, and follow the link to the R1, tou will see pics of the extended R1's. I would put up pics, but I don't know how to.

These are the worst trains in our system. They were the first trains that eliminated the railfan window and those annoying doorbells were placed. I hate the real loud noise they make at the last stop. They are louder than the other trains in our system. I hate that sound.

Live with it because now these days subway car don't built Railfan windows and nithier half cabs. The R68/R68A have half cabs and some full cabs but find a R68/R68A with a half cab in the first/last car and maybe you may railfan.

I like the R44/R46/R68/R68A. There's other things then railfanning. The R44 will retire until there 40 years old and gets replaced by the R179 and possibly R46.

Live with it because now these days subway car don't built Railfan windows and nithier half cabs. The R68/R68A have half cabs and some full cabs but find a R68/R68A with a half cab in the first/last car and maybe you may railfan.

I like the R44/R46/R68/R68A. There's other things then railfanning. The R44 will retire until there 40 years old and gets replaced by the R179 and possibly R46.

They are not getting replace by no R-46's....only R-179's and thats it!

It's because the BMT Eastern Division was built to handle 60' cars. The turns are way too sharp to handle 75' cars (Ex. Look at the turn the (J)/(Z) makes after leaving Crescent St going northbound and before it gets to Cypress Hills.) They did a test in the 70's before the R44/R46 came out. They cut a few R1's in half and extended it to 75' to see which lines can get the 44/46, including the Staten Island Railroad. If you go on nycsubway.org, and follow the link to the R1, tou will see pics of the extended R1's. I would put up pics, but I don't know how to.

They were designed for wooden-el cars and pre-unification BMT equipment. The dimensions of the R types worked until they ordered the R44.

Yeah, I like those window seats since I can view outside without bothering people sitting by me. I also like it since it makes me feel like riding a commuter rail car, especially when going on Express service.

I would say, hell no to the R44/46/68 retirement! I love, love, love those trains!

Well, they have to go... someday. Those seats are the best.

I was on the (D) a couple of days to school. I fell aslept in one of those seats and almost forgot to wake up by my station. Such a great thing for someone who has 5 hrs of sleep every night.

These are the worst trains in our system. They were the first trains that eliminated the railfan window and those annoying doorbells were placed. I hate the real loud noise they make at the last stop. They are louder than the other trains in our system. I hate that sound.

Enough about the railfan window. It is really childish. From that point on, all trains have full width cabs. The purpose of riding the subway is not for the effing window, it is for transporting millions of people in and out. You should appreciate that there is a window, albeit smaller. In many European/Asian systems, there are none. Let's take the LU for example. The cab is almost isolated from the rest of the car. The motorman enters the cab thru a door on the outside. This is true for the MTR in Hong Kong (except the Disneyland Resort Line, which is automated). I think, the people who have an extreme infatuation with the RFW should get over it. I know the look out from the window is excellent, but it is very infantile for those people to wait hours for a SMEE, board at the front car and hog the RFW for hours to come. The cars are going to the ocean anyways, just get it over with. That is not the purpose of riding trains. You can't depreciate a certain class of cars, simply because they lack the "amenities" you want. If you don't like the design, too bad. The full-width cabs are for the people who operate the train, not for the people who hog the window. Not to break anyone's heart, but, the half width cabs put train crews at jeopardy for losing their lives. C/Rs must get out of the cab, lock it, cross to another car, unlock the cab there, get in, use it, get out, lock it, cross back, unlock the cab, get in... for the T/Os, this gives them more ample room in case something happens along the route. If say there is a crash, the T/O has a better chance escaping from the full width than say from a half width.

At least the R44 doesn't have screeching brakes like the R32. It's not perfect but it's not the worst.

Right on the money.

These are the worst trains in our system. They were the first trains that eliminated the railfan window and those annoying doorbells were placed.

Kexpress and MTR hit it right on the money, except for the fact that there will be no R68/A with a half-width cab in the motorman's position. The RFW isn't everything.

And those "annoying doorbells"? They're there for safety reasons. If someone doesn't know that the doors are closing and they somehow get hurt, they can sue. Good luck trying to eliminate those.

Kexpress and MTR hit it right on the money, except for the fact that there will be no R68/A with a half-width cab in the motorman's position. The RFW isn't everything.

And those "annoying doorbells"? They're there for safety reasons. If someone doesn't know that the doors are closing and they somehow get hurt, they can sue. Good luck trying to eliminate those.

Ding-dong saved my life.

Ding-dong saved New Yorkers' lives.

If there was no ding-dong, you would probably end up in the ER because the door shut in your face and you stuck 3 or 4 fingers in the cap trying to get in. Now I never saw a R160A slice someone off before, I know from the door motor sound, that the doors are pretty menacing. If ding-dong never existed, the trains could serve as wonderful guillotines. Have fun riding the train, then.

i remember when i was about 3 or 4, some R68s had railfan windows and they were quite big

Ding-dong saved my life.

Ding-dong saved New Yorkers' lives.

If there was no ding-dong, you would probably end up in the ER because the door shut in your face and you stuck 3 or 4 fingers in the cap trying to get in. Now I never saw a R160A slice someone off before, I know from the door motor sound, that the doors are pretty menacing. If ding-dong never existed, the trains could serve as wonderful guillotines. Have fun riding the train, then.

Especially since the door motors on the R160Bs are silent.

Archived