Subway service cuts must be stopped!

JohnQPine

More people in New York City take the subway than drive. The subways are crowded, so where do they get off cutting service?

The MTA needs to cut waste, but also needs more funds, and City and State elected officials have failed to do what's right for the city and the planet, by rejecting congestion pricing. Now, even in this time of fiscal crisis, many still choose to stand in the way and represent car drivers, instead of straphangers.

It's why I have started my own Youtube channel dedicated to stopping the draconian MTA service cuts and fare hikes. The Ravitch Plan as well as the NYC Comptroller's plan need to be seriously considered. If subways and buses deteriorate, people and businesses will leave New York, costing us more in the long run. Have we not learned anything from the 70s?

http://www.youtube.com/user/NoMTAtransitcuts

The MTA needs to cut waste, but also needs more funds, and City and State elected officials have failed to do what's right for the city and the planet, by rejecting congestion pricing.

Exactly. Look at the service they are providing, probably the worst on the planet. And still people have to pay more for such services?? Incredible:mad:

But for service cuts, I don't think it really matters if (Z) is totally replaced by (J) locals, if they guarantee the overall frequency remains the same. I don't think it's a good idea to run skip-stop as it really does nothing to cut traveling time.

If subways and buses deteriorate, people and businesses will leave New York, costing us more in the long run. Have we not learned anything from the 70s?

Keep raising taxes and people and businesses will continue to leave the city. And tax increases is the biggest revenue draw from the comissions report.

Congestion pricing was the best idea to fund the MTA but it had to be used ONLY for this purpose with strict oversite because the MTA is a rogue agency that has been caught stealing way to many times already.

Exactly. Look at the service they are providing, probably the worst on the planet. And still people have to pay more for such services??

You must not have ever been anywhere else. For what you pay to ride the system it is an incredible bargain. You can get anywhere in this huge city ( 5 boroughs) for 2 dollars. Most systems don't run 24/7/ 352!

You must not have ever been anywhere else. For what you pay to ride the system it is an incredible bargain. You can get anywhere in this huge city ( 5 boroughs) for 2 dollars. Most systems don't run 24/7/ 352!

Actually, you can get anywhere within 7 NY counties and into one NJ county (via the S89) for $2 one way with a transfer to another bus headed into one of those outlaying counties. You can also ride as many times as you want within those seven counties for $7.50 a day. Still a bargin.

This system is a joke, especially compared to DC, San Fran, and even Philly. Stations are unsanitary. Trains are slow and overcrowded. There's always a delay. Riders deserve better, but I resigned myself to the fact that this system sucks.

While I agree that a lot needs to be done, you can't in all good conscience compare NYC's transit system to DC's. (or any other for that matter)

Look at ridership statistics... 7 million+ a day in NYC. 800k a day in DC. Not to mention the fact that the NYC subways have been around since the early 1900's...(which I'll admit isn't an excuse for dirty conditions). Washington Metro started in 1976.

Exactly. Look at the service they are providing, probably the worst on the planet. And still people have to pay more for such services?? Incredible:mad:

But for service cuts, I don't think it really matters if (Z) is totally replaced by (J) locals, if they guarantee the overall frequency remains the same. I don't think it's a good idea to run skip-stop as it really does nothing to cut traveling time.

I liked the idea of the (Z) making skip-stops as did the other customers.....making the (J) all local is a joke

I totally agree! IMO the (Z) should run a little longer. During the AM rush hour, 7:00am to 9:00am and 4:00 to 6:30PM. But another thing hit me. I don't know really if the service can be stopped. I'm not saying it will happen but, I still think there's a chance that the MTA might go through with it.

This system is a joke, especially compared to DC, San Fran, and even Philly. Stations are unsanitary. Trains are slow and overcrowded. There's always a delay. Riders deserve better, but I resigned myself to the fact that this system sucks.

More people ride (MTA) everyday than the combined population of those cities and the first two were designed by and put into operation by people who learned here in NY.

(W) has more chances of being saved since it is rather not a 'skip-stop' service. The (Z) well has to go with the (9)... :)...

Agreed 110% about the (W) chances of being saved are much higher than the (Z). As compromise the IMO (J)will still operate all day weekdays as express between Mytrle-Bway and Marcy till appx. 8pm.

I could be wrong but IMO I think in end Albany & even Washington will provide a few hundred million to keep a few of the services but sadly some cuts will still occur.

You mean the (MTA) right? If so, yup I agree. Some of the stations are ridiculous, trains are just so darn slow, you can't even know when the next train will come as well as there is alot of communities not served and still, they want to cut mass transportation! Soon people will have to be forced to own cars or walk and hour to get a local bus/subway!!!

Ridiculous. Do you know exactly how large this system is? Do you know how long it runs a day? Do you know how many people the system serves daily? Of course there's going to be problems. Someone already brought this question up, but can you even compare the NYC Subway to any of those other systems that Forest Glen mentioned in terms of the questions I just asked?

Well, its something that i saw a lot when i went to NY to visit my family, trains stops a lot especially before switches like at Dekalb avenue but like you said even though i'm not from NY and even an american, i agree a network that big will have some problems here and there.

Here in Paris, during rush hours trains can follow at an interval as low as 90 seconds and yes there is real time information telling people when the next trains are coming etc...

But about the trains stopping a lot well i guess nothing can be done when there are several lines sharing the same tracks and a lot of switches...

Still no other network in the world provide a full 24/24 7/7 service.

Can compare to French and British system's. They run like every 5 minutes you can predict there is a train arriving, and it is correct. NYC, forget about it, especially Sundays!

The reason why you can argue that our system is not frequent in certain parts is because our system has a lot of interlining. I believe, we are the most extensive subway system that uses interlining EXTENSIVELY. Sydney's CityRail produces the same results with interlining, however it is a commuter network rather than a bona fide subway.

Interlining will cause delays as there would be uneven frequencies throughout the lines. In places where several lines group up, the frequency is higher, in the areas where only one line is served and that the line interlines with others in some other areas, there is less frequency.

The European and Asian systems are much more frequent do to less interlining and less junctions, this will call for easier signalling and better train control. I am not sure about the District Line on the London Underground, it has several branches on either end, I do not know how it turns out. The DLR in London, though interlines, is automated, meaning that the trains are controlled, by computer. In New York City, the trains are not controlled by computer, therefore unexpected delays can happen, which would decrease the frequency.

Well, its something that i saw a lot when i went to NY to visit my family, trains stops a lot especially before switches like at Dekalb avenue but like you said even though i'm not from NY and even an american, i agree a network that big will have some problems here and there.

Here in Paris, during rush hours trains can follow at an interval as low as 90 seconds and yes there is real time information telling people when the next trains are coming etc...

But about the trains stopping a lot well i guess nothing can be done when there are several lines sharing the same tracks and a lot of switches...

Still no other network in the world provide a full 24/24 7/7 service.

Actually one other huge US subway network provides 24/7 subway service. That the Chicago CTA line. However only two of their line runs all night.

Two smaller subway/rapid transit agencies that serve New Jersey also have 24/7. They are Path in Metro NYC and PATCO in the Philadelphia area.

By 24/24 7/7 i mean that there is nearly the entire system open all day long.

Of course there is other companies that are partially opened, but not at the level of New York where the subway and buses run overnight.

The Dearborn and State Street Subway Lines in Chitown are open 24/7, only the real Els are shutdown.

Archived