R160 in service on E line

BSmith

Yup saw it today...caught a ride on car # 9236 today. Didn't get the first 5 cars of the set, I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere.

Interesting to see the looks on the (E) riders, some have obviously seen the new techs before, others looked like they had their worlds opened up...

These R160s feel like a replacement to the R32, the train that has been so commonly found on the line for over 15 years. The R42 feels like some sort of fill-in transition train that wasn't on the line long enough to make that much of an impression other than it brought back the cool blue E bullet to the front of the train.

I like that the E has new clean trains. The R160, is, well...generic. Feels like the R40M/R42 of today. It runs on many lines, the front sign on all of the trains are the same color: red, it uses the same synthetic voices heard in the IRT R142s and the R143 and other R160s, the interior has the blue bullet in one spot only but on the black area near the ceilings the line designation is yellow and the information is red. Make no doubt about it, I welcome it. I just wish the R160 had more of the color of the lines and some more character. A nice cool blue E on the front would look so cool. Maybe the R179 will bring more interesting line signs but for now it's red for those that get the NTTs on the 2, 4, 5, 6, E, at some point F, J, L, M, N, Q, maybe R, and outgoing W and Z.

I thought they might use the green in place of the blue. But I had thought that for the (L) as well and that uses yellow as well. Only in the IRT mainline can those display the line color, of course. Wonder if they'll use the green on the (G).

They make signs that small with RGB LED's, but the problem is, they have thermal issues requiring a wider pitch (space between LED's, reducing resolution), so they're not good for small upclose signs. That's why the ones on the subway entrances were replaced with the current LCD's. I was hoping the new version of the platform information signs would be full color, but I finally saw the one at 96th (CPW) on, and it seems to be the same red and yellow green.

*I like the colored station info displays. Quiet nice.

But the trains should also do it...

That yellow E inside looks wrong. Maybe they'll make the line's color-coordinated down the road. I find the red signs on the front wrong. Made sense on the 2. Doesn't on the non red-colored lines.

I'll be curious when the F runs R160s. Though the signs are sharper than the R32s flipdots, will you be able to tell an E from an F from a distance?

Yup saw it today...caught a ride on car # 9236 today. Didn't get the first 5 cars of the set, I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere.

Interesting to see the looks on the (E) riders, some have obviously seen the new techs before, others looked like they had their worlds opened up...

A woman on the train yesterday asked the T/O "Is this the new train??" This was at WTC.

It is going to be -bizarre- to see R160 at chambers.......... :eek: :eek:

- A

WTC. The (E) does not stop at Chambers Street. The stations are connected enough to function as one station, but still they are separate stations.

It is not that weird, par se... I would find it weird to be running at 23rd Street or Spring.

You mean the (A)(C)(E) Chambers Street right? The (J)(M) and (Z) lines have R160A's dominating that Chambers Street and the rest of the BMT Jamaica Line.

Yeah, what a striking difference!

*I like the colored station info displays. Quiet nice.

But the trains should also do it...

The FIND is great, that is, if it doesn't break.

That yellow E inside looks wrong. Maybe they'll make the line's color-coordinated down the road. I find the red signs on the front wrong. Made sense on the 2. Doesn't on the non red-colored lines.

I'll be curious when the F runs R160s. Though the signs are sharper than the R32s flipdots, will you be able to tell an E from an F from a distance?

Yea I'm curious too, my mum is excited to hear that the (F) will get R160s in the future. I think it would be distinct. However, to be frank, I would prefer LCD rollsigns, allowing the routes to be programmable. Just take out the logo and put a LCD display. That way the route and the colour would be distinct.

looks like the (E) is going to consist of the oldest and newest cars in the system. hope those rusted tin can R42s are never seen on that line when the R160s displace them to the (A) and (C).

It seems like the R160s are displacing the R32s (which are going back to the A and C) and Mods and R42s will continue to move in. When enough R160s are in, they will go back to the A and C and then will be reefed.

That's my guess, though.

Current predictions are R-160 will move in while:

1. R-38 is getting reefed.

2. R-40/40S/40A is moving to 207 to get reefed.

3. R-32 is moving to 207 to get reefed.

4. R-40M/42 is moving to Jamaica to cover the missing R-32 and R-40/40S/40A...

1. Yup

2. The R40A (which are slants, numbered from 4350-4449) are all at Pitkin already. The remaining slants (R40) at Coney Island will be transferred over to Pitkin anytime soon. I believe this can occur within 2 months.

3. Yes...

4. Partly, because the R160s would be placed in service (provided that there is rapid delivery)

moving cars back and forth is a big waste of money. i think they should move all R42s at Jamaica to Pitkin to replace the R38s. C riders like the R40M/42s, but E riders really hate them. they want the sleek and shiny R32s to stay until they retire in August after the R38s and R40 slants.

I agree... moving back and forth is not ideal... it really is poor planning and ineffective.

They say they are moving the R42s to the E and F and R. Sooner or later, they will be back on the A or C.

It is what I call the (F)... Or if you don't like it, I would call it (F)ilon...

I agree, especially if the (MTA) move the R-142 on to the (7)... This one, er would rather make a little sense...

Pricey too since they would have to put money in, B).

$$$$=Ka-Ching...

1. Leave it at (F), that's your way of naming things, stick to the (F)...nobody has ANY idea of what you are saying.

2. Actually, as of now, it does not make that much sense to send the NTTs to Flushing. It would require a lot of moves and plus since there isn't CBTC nor is the (7) CBTC-ready, there is not an urgent demand for the NTTs.

3. I cannot be that quite sure about the money thing... yes it does take money... but the object of concern here is time.

Archived