Can we use Student Metros during the holidays?

SevenEleven

Just wondering. Will the TA / police stop me for using it to ride the subways/buses. I'm going railfanning tomorrow, and I want to avoid paying up to $8 just to get a regular Metrocard for the day.

Thanks to whoever helps.

7-11

Whatever you do, do not use your student Metrocard during the Holidays. It won't work, only during school days. If it works, and the police catch you, well you know.... so don't try it. It's better that you don't use it, otherwise you'd be subjected to fare-evasion penalties. Just use a fun pass for one day rail fan trips.

Just wondering. Will the TA / police stop me for using it to ride the subways/buses. I'm going railfanning tomorrow, and I want to avoid paying up to $8 just to get a regular Metrocard for the day.

Thanks to whoever helps.

7-11

The card will work, but you could get caught. However, you may get away with it if you use it at a HEET.

Metro Card for Students work every day in the weekdays, except weekend and the time not listed in the card, and exipiration

Heres a tip:

If you wanna use, all you do is use your thumb to cover up the color, front part of the card, IF the S/A(Station Agent) booth is facing it, or then do it to the back or both, get to a Turnstile that is far from the Station Agent. Make sure you dont see a cop, and be very careful, cuz workers can still detect you are using the card via the lights that flash when entering the turnstile, i think its a red stip, wait till it turns off, like 5 secs and then pass.. Use on bus... i doubt B/O will let u pass and as Forest Glen says, yes HEETS are better, however HEETS can also be found where station agents are at too.. Its better to enter a station with red(Or green) globe those contain HEETS with no T/A Agents and hardly any1! Like 135th Street and St. Nicholas, at 137th Street enty, there aint no coppers there or Station agents.. especially the N/B side.. Sometimes people would also share HEETs to get though lol, ive done that with fam :D

anyways u dont need to follow it, but just do this at your OWN RISK!! I advise you NOT to do this in the city of Manhattan, cuz there are loads of cops there.. Like 14th USQ and Times SQ.~~

Okay... as a general rule... it works on the holidays up until the expiration date... HOWEVER...

If the system observes a weekend schedule, the card will work, if no special schedule is in effect, it would work.

I used my on Black Friday and it worked.

Now, again:

You must have a lot of guts to do it. It technically is fare evasion, but not specifically said in the rules. Token booths people and the cops will take that as fare evasion (just as good as sneaking under the turnstile).

Go to the parts where there are no cop activity or token booth nearby, or at least a rather quiet station unlike major stations where cop activity is pretty high.

Okay... as a general rule... it works on the holidays up until the expiration date... HOWEVER...

If the system observes a weekend schedule, the card will work, if no special schedule is in effect, it would work.

I used my on Black Friday and it worked.

Now, again:

You must have a lot of guts to do it. It technically is fare evasion, but not specifically said in the rules. Token booths people and the cops will take that as fare evasion (just as good as sneaking under the turnstile).

Go to the parts where there are no cop activity or token booth nearby, or at least a rather quiet station unlike major stations where cop activity is pretty high.

Heres a question, Ive seen students use there cards on on holiday at 174th street, there is like a special room in the station house, wat i dont get is how do they know who slides, i never seen cam at 174th on the (2)(5)..

Btw black friday is not really much of a holiday, its a skool day

Heres a question, Ive seen students use there cards on on holiday at 174th street, there is like a special room in the station house, wat i dont get is how do they know who slides, i never seen cam at 174th on the (2)(5)..

Btw black friday is not really much of a holiday, its a skool day

It is an off-day, put it that way. School, for the most part, is not in attendance, no?

It is an off-day, put it that way. School, for the most part, is not in attendance, no?

i was in attendance, and it is a skool day its not a major holiday, unless im wrong. I want to skool that day, and im a Super Senior in HS~

I was wondering the same thing, but I have one other question also. On regents week in January in June, when High School is not in session but middle school is, would it be okay to use the metrocard then, or would I still be subject to fare evasion penalties since I do not have school?

i was in attendance, and it is a skool day its not a major holiday, unless im wrong. I want to skool that day, and im a Super Senior in HS~

School was not in attendance for most NYC Public High Schools or Middle Schools or Primary Schools. I don't know about your school, then.

@Waga: Technically it is fare evasion since you are not in attendance, however since your card is programmed to be Grades 7-12 it would certainly work since Grades 7 and 8 are in attendance and because there are some schools that may be opened during this time. Just don't make it obvious, and you play it safe.

I was wondering the same thing, but I have one other question also. On regents week in January in June, when High School is not in session but middle school is, would it be okay to use the metrocard then, or would I still be subject to fare evasion penalties since I do not have school?

Just be careful and carry your school's ID. If they ask anything, just act cool and say you have Regents to take on the day. If they ask what school you go to, just, 'x' school, and use the ID to backup that you're traveling such a distance.l

No.

According to school officials, turnstile will be locked out for any Student MetroCard.

One time when I was HSES Student, and when I used my Student MetroCard at 81st St (when I was living first east side stop on M86, police stop me b/c I used it on New Years.

If you put Student MetroCard on Bx12 SBS, fare inspector might give you $100 fine.

If you put in farebox, bus operator of Bee-Line and MTA tell you.

Depends on the person who sees you. Like for me, practically my whole family works or knows somebody from transit, nypd and fdny. Sometimes they will let you go through or sometimes they may not. But I agreed, don't do use your student metrocard at an entrance with police inside (especially in the heart of manhattan).

If you're willing to pay the $100 dollar ticket, sure, feel free to use your student metrocard whenever you want. Remember, just because you don't see any transit cops, doesn't mean there are any. By my station @ 53rd Street, there is a room in front of the turnstiles that the transit cops like to hide in to catch fare-beaters.

Guest Charles

I would advise not using your Metrocard on buses (kind of obvious, but ppl do forget)

Also, if you plan on staying out late, don't use your Student pass, even on school days. I've run into that experience many times. It says 'Card Not Valid.'

But most importantly, don't use it on days like Christmas, Thanksgiving, or major holidays. Your card actually gets disabled. I used mine last Christmas and I couldn't use it the day we went back to school. You may be able to use it on days like today (12/26) but be careful. Even for students, I suggest carrying around a normal Metrocard with you, just in case. I do tahat.

I've been using my student MetroCard when school's not in session for my entire HS career (which is gonna end soon :)). Never been in trouble for doing so yet and I've done this on both the train and the bus.

The bus driver didn't say anything, but he did grill me though. >.>

Did you obther to read my other posts? Student Metrocards are never disabled for a certian day. The 8:30 PM time limit is false. Student Metrocards work till about 9:15 PM. I've done it on buses and the B/O didn't say a word.

Grace period?

I got yelled at once by a B/O because I had school but the public schools didn't, and I used my student card.

And yeah, student cards remain active on Regents week. My school doesn't take Regents, so we have classes. It wouldn't be fair to deactivate the cards for a day that my school has classes, no?

No.

According to school officials, turnstile will be locked out for any Student MetroCard.

One time when I was HSES Student, and when I used my Student MetroCard at 81st St (when I was living first east side stop on M86, police stop me b/c I used it on New Years.

If you put Student MetroCard on Bx12 SBS, fare inspector might give you $100 fine.

If you put in farebox, bus operator of Bee-Line and MTA tell you.

I'm curious, does the SBS receipt say STUDENT METROCARD?

Yeah, the Student Cards will be active between 5:30AM (I believe) and 8:30PM (as said on the card, but it is still accepted til 9PM) on ALL WEEKDAYS. They never shut it off, until the expiration date.

In reference to using it though, I have NEVER had a problem on the subway. I have heard stories, so I'd be careful when cops are around, but I've been using it since 6th (I'm in 12th now) grade on non school days and only had even the slightest problem once using rail, and that was Brooklyn Queens day on the Staten Island Railway, but the cop let me pass anyways.

I am always a bit eerie to use it on buses, but the most a driver can do is tell you to use another card or get off the bus. I've been stopped only once (actually 2 days ago o n the B64 bus). Most don't seem to care though, and if you swipe in an inconspicuous fast motion, most won't even give it a second look.

The rule is, you're not SUPPOSED to used it on weekdays when school is not in session, but you can get away with it. Just pay attention to cops, and (say good morning/evening/ or hello to the bus driver before swiping. lol)

Yeah, the Student Cards will be active between 5:30AM (I believe) and 8:30PM (as said on the card, but it is still accepted til 9PM) on ALL WEEKDAYS. They never shut it off, until the expiration date.

In reference to using it though, I have NEVER had a problem on the subway. I have heard stories, so I'd be careful when cops are around, but I've been using it since 6th (I'm in 12th now) grade on non school days and only had even the slightest problem once using rail, and that was Brooklyn Queens day on the Staten Island Railway, but the cop let me pass anyways.

I am always a bit eerie to use it on buses, but the most a driver can do is tell you to use another card or get off the bus. I've been stopped only once (actually 2 days ago o n the B64 bus). Most don't seem to care though, and if you swipe in an inconspicuous fast motion, most won't even give it a second look.

The rule is, you're not SUPPOSED to used it on weekdays when school is not in session, but you can get away with it. Just pay attention to cops, and (say good morning/evening/ or hello to the bus driver before swiping. lol)

Yup, be extra sweet to them.

I'm curious, does the SBS receipt say STUDENT METROCARD?

Yeah it says student metrocard on the receipt.

Okay so my friends and I went out to Jamaica yesterday and we used the card on both the bus and train. The Bus Drivers didn't even say anything when we used our Metro-Cards.

So we took another risk, using it at Jamaica Center with a lot of police officers and they didn't stop us and they even said hi. So I think it depends upon how bold and nice you could be.

Yeah it says student metrocard on the receipt.

Okay so my friends and I went out to Jamaica yesterday and we used the card on both the bus and train. The Bus Drivers didn't even say anything when we used our Metro-Cards.

So we took another risk, using it at Jamaica Center with a lot of police officers and they didn't stop us and they even said hi. So I think it depends upon how bold and nice you could be.

Ah, because the only time I used SBS was a few days right after its debut, so I had to use a full fare card.

Archived