Differences between R68 and R68A?

duelingdragons

I don't know a great deal about the cars, but how can you tell the difference between these two?

Thanks!

**EDIT: Guess I should research before asking.

--Differences (according to Wikipedia)

The door to the operator's cab slides open on an R68A as opposed to swings open as on an R68.

The R68 and R68A fleets have different window frames.

Unlike the R68s, the R68As do not feature rims around the red door indicator lights.

The "MTA New York City Subway" logos are arranged differently between the two car types.

The side ribbing runs all the way to the car ends and side doors on an R68, but taper off on approach on an R68A.

Only the R68s have a metal bar separating the side sign from window, while the R68A has one solid pane of glass.

How can anyone tell just by looking though? o_O The window frame or the (MTA) logo?

I don't know a great deal about the cars, but how can you tell the difference between these two?

Thanks!

The door to the operator's cab slides open on an R68A as opposed to swings open as on an R68.

Unlike the R68s, the R68As do not feature rims around the red door indicator lights.

The "MTA New York City Subway" logos are arranged differently between the two car types.

The side ribbing runs all the way to the car ends and side doors on an R68, but taper off on approach on an R68A.

Only the R68s have a metal bar separating the side sign from window, while the R68A has one solid pane of glass.

How can anyone tell just by looking though? o_O The window frame or the (MTA) logo?

There is an extra set of frame on R68.

Thanks!

The most obvious difference is... their car numbers.

lol. I'm not being helpful, am I.

Nother diffrence is the Car roll signs on the end

for example:

Shots By me:

R68 (D) has its sign lower:

S7301953.jpg

R68A (B) has sign its higher:

S7301955.jpg

plus dont forget the Cab entry, the R68 allows u to open like a door, unlike he 68A which has u sliding like crossing between cars

R68 can be found exclusively on the (D) and Franklin Ave (S), as well as the (B)(W)(N)(Q)

R68A exclusively on the (B) and on the (D)(N)(Q)(W)

if im correct

cars based out of Concourse/Jerome Yard and Coney Island Yard

for example:

Shots By me:

S7301953.jpg

R68A (B) has its higher:

S7301955.jpg

plus dont forget the Cab entry, the R68 allows u to open like a door, unlike he 68A which has u sliding like crossing between cars

R68 can be found exclusively on the (D) and Franklin Ave (S), as well as the (B)(W)(N)(Q)

R68A exclusively on the (B) and on the (N)(Q)(W)

if im correct

cars based out of Concourse/Jerome Yard and Coney Island Yard

Yes, the only cars at Concourse are R68s.

No, Jerome Yard is for IRT only.

IRT trains could be on Concourse Yard's tracks as the yards are interconnected. But Concourse Yard is exclusively for IND.

Yes, the only cars at Concourse are R68s.

No, Jerome Yard is for IRT only.

IRT trains could be on Concourse Yard's tracks as the yards are interconnected. But Concourse Yard is exclusively for IND.

yeah i know but they share the samr yard tho, seeing that sometimes i see the IND cars in between the IRT cars. Is the Concourse facilty for IND only? if so where would the IRT goes? CI, 239th, 180th, 207?

and dont forget 32s , 40S/40M/42 be up there too

yeah i know but they share the samr yard tho, seeing that sometimes i see the IND cars in between the IRT cars. Is the Concourse facilty for IND only? if so where would the IRT goes? CI, 239th, 180th, 207?

and dont forget 32s , 40S/40M/42 be up there too

These are the home yards, where each line is based off

IND/BMT Yards:

Concourse (D)

Coney Island (B)(N)(Q)(S)(W)

Jamaica (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

207th Street (A)

Pitkin Yard (C)(H)

East New York (J)(L)(M)(Z)

IRT:

Jerome: (4)

239th: (2)

Unionport: (5)

Westchester: (6)

240th: (1)

Livonia: (3)(S)

Corona: (7)

There are IRT lay ups at Concourse Yard, as I said they are interconnected, but the actual yard for the 4 is Jerome. That is the home yard for the 4.

Same for the 1 at 207th... there are lay ups there, but it is the home yard for the (A), not the (1).

IND/BMT Yards:

Concourse (D)

Coney Island (B)(N)(Q)(S)(W)

Jamaica (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

207th Street (A)

Pitkin Yard (C)(H)

IRT:

There are IRT lay ups at Concourse Yard, as I said they are interconnected, but the actual yard for the 4 is Jerome. That is the home yard for the 4.

Same for the 1 at 207th... there are lay ups there, but it is the home yard for the (A), not the (1).

thx for explaing mate, wat does interconnect mean, doe sthat they are layed up meaning just using the tracks for storage until they head into service..

Just wanna get things perfect bro B)

thx for explaing mate, wat does interconnect mean, doe sthat they are layed up meaning just using the tracks for storage until they head into service..

Just wanna get things perfect bro B)

I meant the fact that there are track connections between say the Jerome and Concourse Yds. Like how the 4 is able to lay up on Concourse Yard tracks.

Also, Concourse Yd is also a storage yard for trains en route to the barge. There may be instances where 207th is full, so they keep the trains at Concourse until a certain time before sending them to 207th. This explains for the R32s being at Concourse Yard.

Also the brake release sound is different between the 68 and 68A.

yup the brakes on the two are very different. on an r68a, the train has a delay between when a braking request is made and when the brakes actually apply due to something called an e-cam which controls the brake application through out the train...so T/O's taking a brake can't "fan the brakes" on an R68A (alternate releasing and applying to slow down and stop the train), they have to take a brake, then they can adjust the range of the brake, but if they release it, the train will delay again before applying when they grab brake again which can be enough to miss the stop marker. so if you ride an r68a, you may notice the T/O bringing the train into the station, slowing down a lot, and then going between min brake and a higher pressure back and forth making it feel kind of jerky, but he won't release the brake fully until he's ready to leave the station. some T/O's can do it quite well though, and their stops are not as uneven/jerky.

Cool explination, and I only know it on the R-160, non on the R-143, but R-142 can track difference just by sound (propulsion)...

heres one for my lovely R142 :P

if u enter an empty train or full almost, notice the room in the R142 and R142A

More room in the aisles in the 142A then the R142.. I belivie its cuz the seats are a bit smaller in the 142a then 142.

Plus u can tell that the Cab door on the 142 is in when looking, while the 142A has its popped out.

And u can notice that the R142A car is much shinnier then the 142, and notice the LEDs on the side~ the Route number is diff looking~

And the LED on the car ends: R142A has its much darker, while the R142A is its more lighter

no that is kool to learn:cool:

for example:

Shots By me:

S7301953.jpg

R68A (:) has sign its higher:

S7301955.jpg

I forgot about this. The rollsign always make the R68 look as if it has an eyebrow. The R68As are flat faced. :P

"Eyebrow Hippos". Nice way to remember. :D

IND/BMT Yards:

Concourse (D)

Coney Island (:P(N)(Q)(S)(W)

Jamaica (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

207th Street (A)(C)

Pitkin Yard (A)(C)(H)

IRT:

207 street: (1)

207 has the (C), pitkin has the (A) because they have the R44 cars and 207 has the (1). Also for anyone who wants to know the difference between R160 A/B and R143, I can tell by the way the flags are placed

207 has the (C), pitkin has the (A) because they have the R44 cars and 207 has the (1). Also for anyone who wants to know the difference between R160 A/B and R143, I can tell by the way the flags are placed

The R143 storm door is only 1-door slide and R160A/B is like R142s where they have 2-door slide. R143, somehow seems wider, and R143 has the extra seats in Cab A near the T/O, but only some R160A/B has those. The proppolusion sounds differently.

Cool explination, and I only know it on the R-160, non on the R-143, but R-142 can track difference just by sound (propulsion)...

The difference is not just the propulsion...the doors on the R142s are considerably wider than that of the R142A.. the speakers as well and the way the red door lights are placed on the inside (hanging on the R142 and on the wall on the R142A)

Thanks for the corrections, but the home yard for the 1 is 240th. They use 207th for lay ups.

http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Subway_Yard_Roster_(New_York_MTA)

The difference is not just the propulsion...the doors on the R142s are considerably wider than that of the R142A.. the speakers as well and the way the red door lights are placed on the inside (hanging on the R142 and on the wall on the R142A)

Also The R142 and R142A have completely different truck designs, different HVAC systems (R142's is louder), plus the cab windows are shaped slightly different between the two cars. Also the front of the cabs, on an R142 it's two piece construction, on the R142A it's one piece construction. The best way to point this out is to look below the LED as an R142 is going by and you will see a seam underneath the bonnet

Archived