My impression of the R179

MattTrain

One good thing about five door sets is that passenger loads can move in and out of the train more quickly, despite having less seats.

Depends on the line, the station and the time of day. There's nothing wrong with 5 door sets per car if the cost is negligble. Lessee...32 extra doors per 8 car train, extra man-hours to cut out the door ways and install them complete with motors, tronics, mechs, extra window btn doors 4 & 5 both sides, extra TA man-hours for maintenance on extra doors over the life of each car (20 years)...might be TA orders one less 8 car set to offset the projected price.

Worth it :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 door sets means 4 more doors per car, 32 more doors per 8 car train, more door mechinisms, wiring, motors, electronics, and maintenance hours, which transfers into more down time and less revenue time. 5 door sets means less seating but more standing room. 5 door sets will add more cost to build each car (more doors and mechs and tronics, etc). That could mean less cars bought total. 5 door sets...blessing or curse? :eek::):)

An 8-car R179 with 5 doors per side per car has the same number of doors as a 10-car R160A/B. Also, I think a 10-car R160 has more parts than an 8-car 5-door/side R179 would have because it has 4 more trucks and the other parts of the underbody (Sorry, I'm not familiar with those...) that come with 2 more cars.

An 8-car R179 with 5 doors per side per car has the same number of doors as a 10-car R160A/B. Also, I think a 10-car R160 has more parts than an 8-car 5-door/side R179 would have because it has 4 more trucks and the other parts of the underbody (Sorry, I'm not familiar with those...) that come with 2 more cars.

R160A-2 IND/BMT 8653-8712 (5 car sets) Alstom 2005-2008 60 cars So these must be approx 60 ft long each as opposed to the160A-1. So if they make 2 sets like the 160As for the 179's then there wouldn't be a problem in cost to build and man hours are already incorporated into the existing time line because of the duel 160As. You're right exseed.

Never had the pleasure to ride on a 10 car 160. Most of my trips are on the A Div trains when I go outside of BK. I stopped rail fanning years ago.

R160A-2 IND/BMT 8653-8712 (5 car sets) Alstom 2005-2008 60 cars So these must be approx 60 ft long each as opposed to the160A-1. So if they make 2 sets like the 160As for the 179's then there wouldn't be a problem in cost to build and man hours are already incorporated into the existing time line because of the duel 160As. You're right exseed.

Hmmm? No, the 160A-1s are also 60 feet. It's just they're in 4 car sets as opposed to 5 car sets for the 160A-2s.

If that's not what you meant can you explain that again because I'm seriously confuzzled here.

When rules dont make sense, i dont follow them. if they did not want people to cross through, why are they open?.

2. The MTA dont pay for anything. Thats OUR MONEY. If the government can buy 700 Billion, buy another 700 Billion and give it to NYC.

3. Alchohol and Cars dont always lead to crashes. Look at the Autobahn. 200mph and no crash.

4. If els are too noisy for people, WHY DOES CHICAGO's STILL EXIST?

1.) So by your comment, any one can steal anything they want that a store like a fruit shop might put outside for people to see? Right?

2.) The MTA does pay for everything. The income it receives from fares, advertisement, federal and state funding, bonds it sells to raise money, rent from it's real estate all go towards paying for it's operating budge and capital budget which is used to pay for big projects like the SAS. There is also this thing called inflation. When the Federal Reserve starts printing more money and pumping it into the banking system, the value of the money decreases. The bailouts that the Federal Government has been doing isn't "free" money. They don't just print more money and say, "HERE TAKE A BILLION DOLLARS".

4.) If ELs are so good for the area, why did NYC get rid of them?

Hmmm? No, the 160A-1s are also 60 feet. It's just they're in 4 car sets as opposed to 5 car sets for the 160A-2s.

If that's not what you meant can you explain that again because I'm seriously confuzzled here.

I screwed up. Simple as that lol. I've ridden on (L) R143s and those are 60 feet. The 160s are very similar. The mistake I made was thinking 160s were 75 ft cause they ran on lines that had 75 ft cars. A case of illogical thinking based on faulty data gathered by a computer with an old CPU, not enough RAM and limited capacity...my brain! :)

Why is it that whenever someone thinks outside the box or around the rules, they get ridiculed? By the way, my kind of attitude dosent get people hurt, this is what gets people hurt:

Laws existense tempting people to break it because they feel restricted.

Money.

Police.

Nature.

Forget it, it's just plain wrong to cross between train cars through those doors unless you are instructed to by the train crew or the MTA cops.

Oh please, just use common scence. If you want to walk to the next car, then get off of the next stop and walk to next car; thats the safest option . If you want to walk between the cars if its an emergency then then use it, just dont get caught up by the trasit police.

Its time for MTA to order aticulated train cars!

• 4 months later...

Heres what ive been working on. This pic only shows exactly one half of the cab car.

Untitled-2-6.jpg

now as far as color. im putting "MTA Blue" around the headlights similar to the 142s and from the "F" end to halfway between the first and second set of doors a solid blue stripe fading from right to left. Updated pic soon to come.

Yes, my design has 4 doors per side. and the extra windows provides more visual security.

Wouldn't the doors' not aligning at the beginning and end of tight curves be a problem though?

Well there are different types of articulation. In a particular kind of articulation, the cars do not need doors at each end though.

Heres what ive been working on. This pic only shows exactly one half of the cab car.

now as far as color. im putting "MTA Blue" around the headlights similar to the 142s and from the "F" end to halfway between the first and second set of doors a solid blue stripe fading from right to left. Updated pic soon to come.

Yes, my design has 4 doors per side. and the extra windows provides more visual security.

Nice pic! However, it will most likely be 5 doors.

well that has yet to be proven.

The (MTA) originally designed 75 footers to reduce matainence costs and after the 68s said no more 75 footers. and i HIGHLY doubt the need for 5 doors per car in SI.

True, however, take a look at the A though. More doors available means better flow. It decreases dwell times. It falls on the same logic as the wider doors on the R142.

True, however, take a look at the A though. More doors available means better flow. It decreases dwell times. It falls on the same logic as the wider doors on the R142.

Not on the (A) though. i take that line everyday for 19 years. 60 footers or 75 footers, dwell times are the same. Now wider doors would help which is what ive designed

Untitled-2-6.jpg

Hmmm...this is not a bad rendition of the R179s. But anyone thought of making them Slants???

too much space inbetween cars. Saftey hazzard. Its why the second order of R40's were "modified". But i too wish.....

Yeah but I'm sure they could think of something...I too will come up with a design, using a slant rendition. I wonder if the MTA can accept people's ideas for their subway cars, it gets boring to see all the trains looking like one another now.

Archived