R40

Blinkerdoors

I read a book some time ago, and from what I understand, that the because of the design of the 1st R40s, better known at the shovel nose, It wasn't very popular at 1st was it? Yes? No?

No, riders and many other people opposed it. The only change that came only was tha they decreased the slant percentage.

They assumed that people will like the design, however the people found faults regarding safety so they added gates and stuff that worsen the design.

hmmm, i wonder, if the transit authority had established a rules of conduct forbidden from passengers from going between cars and locking all the doors, would the slant have been more successful?

They assumed that people will like the design, however the people found faults regarding safety so they added gates and stuff that worsen the design.

Speaking of gates, the R62/As will be the only cars left with them once all the 60 foot SMEE's retire. :eek:

hmmm, i wonder, if the transit authority had established a rules of conduct forbidden from passengers from going between cars and locking all the doors, would the slant have been more successful?

Moving from car to car is illegal. I've seen a lot of people pulled off of trains by uniform and plain-clothed cops over it.

You were just very lucky then. I can say the same for me too. I guess there's a safety issue involved as the reason they don't just lock those doors to keep people from doing it. Sometimes when I don't wanna chance getting caught I just walk out of the car onto the platform and into the next car when i need to move up or down.

Speaking of gates, the R62/As will be the only cars left with them once all the 60 foot SMEE's retire. :eek:

Personally I prefer the gates to the chains...I think they are sturdier as far as keeping someone on the platform from falling between cars..too bad the design seems to be going away with every passing car order

They're also easier for train crews to set up than hooking/unhooking the chains

Archived