R46 (E) Train!

R10 2952

On Monday, March 16th, I saw a whole set of R46s on the E.... twice. The first time was from a southbound R40 A train at 42nd Street at 7:33 AM, with the E train heading into Queens. The second time, I actually RODE the same train, which was heading into Queens again. I rode it from 42nd Street to 50th Street at about 5:45 PM. The R46 actually performs well on the E... The passengers seemed to actually not mind the R46, despite the fact that it has fewer doors than, say, a 10 car set of R42s. This disproves the myth that an R46 would never run on the E during rush hour due to the lesser amount of available doors. Both times, the train was running during the peak of rush hour. It was somewhat crowded, but I didn't really have a problem getting on or off, as is usual with the 60-foot cars. I still prefer seeing the R32s/R40Ms/R42s on the E, but still, the R46 E is interesting. It adds variety.(E)

It was somewhat crowded, but I didn't really have a problem getting on or off, as is usual with the 60-foot cars. I still prefer seeing the R32s/R40Ms/R42s on the E, but still, the R46 E is interesting. It adds variety.(E)

The R46 is nothing new for E riders. The thing is, Queens riders have dealt with crowded R46 E and F train for years before this "dwell time" argument was in place. The F was actually more crowded than the E before the 63rd street connector and at that time an R32 F was rare. And before the switch to R32s on the E around 1990, the E was all R46s at all times, just like the F.

People find a way on any train to get on and off, and the dwell time is something like 8 seconds longer at Lex., 5th Av, and a few other stations on the 75 footers vs. the 60 footers. The R46 is a good train with some more good years of service left in it and it is liked by most regular train riders.

The R46 actually performs well on the E... The passengers seemed to actually not mind the R46, despite the fact that it has fewer doors than, say, a 10 car set of R42s. This disproves the myth that an R46 would never run on the E during rush hour due to the lesser amount of available doors.

You rode it during the PM rush, not the AM where the crowds are more condensed since time is more of an issue (7:30 is where things get horrendous since everyone needs to get to work in half an hour). During times like these, having an R46 on the E could be problematic. Also, R46s do VERY RARELY make it on the E during the rush, but that is usually the only time they are on. They are never on the line outside of the rush.

You rode it during the PM rush, not the AM where the crowds are more condensed since time is more of an issue (7:30 is where things get horrendous since everyone needs to get to work in half an hour). During times like these, having an R46 on the E could be problematic. Also, R46s do VERY RARELY make it on the E during the rush, but that is usually the only time they are on. They are never on the line outside of the rush.

It's more like things get horrendous at 7:30 because of students and the early-ish shift of workers. Majority of people work 9/10-5/6. Not 8-4/5.

There's at least two R46's E's that run in the rush hours these days. One early on and one in the latter part of the rush. Not really rare since all the car transfers as of late. Before all this started a couple were thrown in occasionally over the years while the R32 dominated the E. Both AM and PM I've ridden them numerous times in the peak of crowding and I can say I've never noticed my ride being any longer. One thing I've noticed about QNS BLVD is that it takes less time to get into Manahattan than in the AM then it does to get back to Jamaica in the evenings. Always lots of traffic from 7th Ave through to Roosevelt Ave.

I think the dwell time argument is a little exaggerated, personally.

I love seeing the big blue (E) on the front of the R46. Makes me happy for some weird reason. Us railfans are an odd bunch... B)

Despite the overcrowding

The 160's, R42, R40M, and R32's get/got just as crowded. The issue with the the R46's is the time it takes to load and unload. Which in reality isn't that huge a deal.

However the MTA thinks it is and thus the E isn't mainly R46 anymore.

I also heard from an older conductor once that the R32's didn't do well in freezing temperatures. So I guess it worked out nicely as the E never see's daylight.

Archived