Rode the City Hall Loop

Bracamonte

After coming from a trip on the Brookyln Bridge today, I went to the Brookyln Bridge-City Hall station. On the downtown platform, a (6) train pulls in. At first, I was nervous to go in. Then, a very kind C/R allowed me inside. :P He asked me that I was going to see the City Hall station. He said it was his first time working as a C/R. So, I saw the station. There was daylight shining from the ceiling. Sadly, I haven't taken no picture or video.

I know your post is from months ago, but I too went through the loop last year. I did it twice, but couldn't get any pux. I will be on the lookout to see if they have another trip to see the place so I can check it out. It's all about the history of the greatest subway system ever built.

Nice! I remember once I got off the 4, I went across to an incoming 6 and asked the C/R if I could go in. He allowed me inside, so I was given a pretty good tour of the abandoned stop, albeit the darkness.

You can be inside the train during the loop. However Bowling Green is a different story.

You got that right. I visited Bowling Green today and a (5) train pulls in. The C/R announced "This is the last stop on this train! No passengers!"

There was a thread on this before. Supposedly the train at Brooklyn Bridge must get out ASAP. At Bowling Green though, a train could stay as long as it needs to.

There was a thread on this before. Supposedly the train at Brooklyn Bridge must get out ASAP. At Bowling Green though, a train could stay as long as it needs to.

Why? Bowling Green has no dedicated terminal tracks, so another train is always behind it at Wall St.

Also, Bowling Green had 2 lines running on the same track. Brooklyn Bridge has only one.

Why? Bowling Green has no dedicated terminal tracks, so another train is always behind it at Wall St.

Also, Bowling Green had 2 lines running on the same track. Brooklyn Bridge has only one.

If a train is sitting on the SF Loop, then the train at Bowling Green wouldn't be going anywhere.

For the City Hall Loop and Brooklyn Bridge stop, when a (6) train arrives, one is either entering the Bx-bound tracks or leaving. (6) trains are more consistent than the (4) or (5) trains. One weekend when I went to the city, and waiting for the (4) at Grand Central, the pattern was this:

Downtown:

(4)(6)(6)(5)

Uptown:

(6)(4)(6)(4)

If it becomes slow around Brooklyn Bridge, the loop will eventually get backed up and push back delaying service.

They are talking about the Bowling Green Loop tracks, not the actual Bowling Green station. They can put a few trains in the Bowling Green loop.......

I'm referring to the South Ferry (inner) loop. Terminating 5 trains at Bowling Green MUST use this loop to turn around. Like what SevenEleven said, there is a heavy demand for 6 service, meaning that the loop cannot hold trains for long. Besides, the City Hall loop is around 200 feet from the Brooklyn Bridge Station. The South Ferry loop has a larger capacity, and at Bowling Green, there are 2 express services, one continuing to Brooklyn and a terminating service. The train in the loop has the option of staying inside the loop, meaning that the loop is therefore not part of revenue trackage, which therefore means that passengers cannot trespass into these regions.

I wanna be clear to everyone, that when i rode the inner loop, i ALWAYS asked the C/R if it's ok because i'm headed far uptown and don't want to stand waiting more than i have to, sometimes they said no, and sometimes they said yes. Whatever the policy is for these movements through the loop(s), i don't recommend doing it at all, because since new south ferry opened they can now bypass the inner loop 24 hours a day using the 2 switches, meaning that you could get stuck in a train parked in the inner or outer loop, with -no- way of getting out!

I'm not kidding, so don't do it!

- A

I wanna be clear to everyone, that when i rode the inner loop, i ALWAYS asked the C/R if it's ok because i'm headed far uptown and don't want to stand waiting more than i have to, sometimes they said no, and sometimes they said yes. Whatever the policy is for these movements through the loop(s), i don't recommend doing it at all, because since new south ferry opened they can now bypass the inner loop 24 hours a day using the 2 switches, meaning that you could get stuck in a train parked in the inner or outer loop, with -no- way of getting out!

I'm not kidding, so don't do it!

- A

Very true, don't think about South Ferry. Could the track between the two switches on the outer loop hold one entire train?

Very true, don't think about South Ferry. Could the track between the two switches on the outer loop hold one entire train?

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/detail-soferry.png

As far as i know each loop can hold 2 trains, but the curved area alone can only hold one. At south ferry ((1)) you have half the train in tunnel & half in station. The next signal block i think would be part of the curve heading back uptown after the switch. Bowling green is a much smaller loop because the station is right there. That means one of the trains would be right before & the other right after the platform. I don't think you'd park them like that normally, but i'm no expert. :)

If someone with operational experience could chime in here would be appreciated. I'm only going off of what i've observed when i rode the (5) around BG loop.

- A

The two differences with the inner and outer loop stations are 1) The inner loop can platform 10-car trains, 2) The curve is much sharper on the inner loop.

I believe both loop tracks can store two 10-car trains.

You can store 2 trains in the inner loop however you can't platform any train on the inner loop. There used to be a specially modified 2 car shuttle train which ran from Bowling Green to the inner loop at the ferry. Only the center doors on each car opened at the ferry. There are cut-outs in the walls of the inner loop where the passengers would wait to board the shuttle. The curve of the inner loop station meant that when the shuttle didn't run at night the (5) or (6) would run from Bowling Green to the South Ferry outer loop and do the 5 car stop like the (1) did and continue around the loop and back to Bowling Green. The 2 car shuttle would stop at the inner loop and the motorman changed ends and went back the way he came into the station. The shuttle was done away with years ago and the (5) and (6) stopped using the outer loop at night because, take your pick, they interfered with the (1) , or low ridership.

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/detail-soferry.png

As far as i know each loop can hold 2 trains, but the curved area alone can only hold one. At south ferry ((1)) you have half the train in tunnel & half in station. The next signal block i think would be part of the curve heading back uptown after the switch. Bowling green is a much smaller loop because the station is right there. That means one of the trains would be right before & the other right after the platform. I don't think you'd park them like that normally, but i'm no expert. :P

If someone with operational experience could chime in here would be appreciated. I'm only going off of what i've observed when i rode the (5) around BG loop.

- A

It really would be great if someone has a line diagram of the area.

Archived