Ride The Slants NOW!!!!

R32 3838

well who knows if the R40s are really gone, remember that most General Orders can sometimes hold cars in service, same hapen to R38, but i dunno. I saw one layed at 207 yd during PM peak and it was for the (A), plus a few splited cars off the norhern part of 207 (Next to 215th (1). And one in service yesterday. Im heading down the (A) and seeing if I spot one.. If not RIP!!

it will benefit both operators and conductors, but you can still get a railfan window on the (7), so relax.

Its not only about railfan window! It was a good ride on an old car and nice design. I know railfan window is fine but doesnt conclude anyhing!

Plus the (7) isnt going to be the only special line with a window(Even tho CBTC will start in a few yrs which makes the pelham (6) popular almost for em). The R32/40M/42s are still here and those got windows.

well who knows if the R40s are really gone, remember that most General Orders can sometimes hold cars in service, same hapen to R38, but i dunno. I saw one layed at 207 yd during PM peak and it was for the (A), plus a few splited cars off the norhern part of 207 (Next to 215th (1). And one in service yesterday. Im heading down the (A) and seeing if I spot one.. If not RIP!!

That;s correct...I was tehre yesterday. i tried to get some pics but it's hard to get any good shots from ground level. If anyone wants to get good shots of the yard you'd have to go to the Bronx or take the (1) (but views from the (1) are barely any better).

it will benefit both operators and conductors, but you can still get a railfan window on the (7), so relax.

You can until the R142As come on the (7) line.

_______

And yeah, the younger generation of railfanners will miss the NTTs such as the R142 series and the R143/160 series when they retire because we will live to see the beginning and the end of the trains. We will grow with the trains until the next generation of NTTs come and take over the current ones.

2 Sets remain (will be 1 as of Monday)

4370-4371-4176-4177-4342-4343-4376-4377-4218-4219

4356-4357-4256-4257-4399-4398-4414-4415-4424-4425

4176-4177-4342-4343-4218-4219-4256-4257 might be the set that retires on Sunday as another R46 has transferred over (and it looks like A-A sets).

2 Sets remain (will be 1 as of Monday)

4370-4371-4176-4177-4342-4343-4376-4377-4218-4219

4356-4357-4256-4257-4399-4398-4414-4415-4424-4425

4176-4177-4342-4343-4218-4219-4256-4257 might be the set that retires on Sunday as another R46 has transferred over (and it looks like A-A sets).

Ironic, lead 4356 was the train I was on yesterday! I believe you're right as only two sets are left, as I was on one and they both met at 59th Street.

I rode on both sets yesterday. In the morning, I rode a Slant over the (F) line due to a BIE at High Street.

What's BIE sorry I really don't know the MTA codes that well, but R40 slant on the (F)?! Pretty cool.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible that the MTA can do a news coverage on the retirement of the Slants, same as how the news covered the Redbirds' retirement?

probably not. i mean there was no coverage whatsoever when the R38s retired in March. though the slants were unique in their own and they were actually featured in one episode of transit transit newsmagazine, i highly doubt there will be news coverage of their retirement because no one really cared about them other than railfans. the redbirds, however, were beloved by many, from railfans to transit workers to regular commuters who ride them every day. i actually did my own personal news coverage when the R38s and R33/36 WF retired. i did not care about the R38s much, but was sobbing badly when the redbirds retired and will be crying even harder when the R32 Brightliners retire next year. on the other hand, i will be extremely happy and jumping for joy when those R42s finally retire (i cannot wait till that day comes!). i will be a little disappointed to see these speed-demon R40s go.

probably not. i mean there was no coverage whatsoever when the R38s retired in March. though the slants were unique in their own and they were actually featured in one episode of transit transit newsmagazine, i highly doubt there will be news coverage of their retirement because no one really cared about them other than railfans. the redbirds, however, were beloved by many, from railfans to transit workers to regular commuters who ride them every day. i actually did my own personal news coverage when the R38s and R33/36 WF retired. i did not care about the R38s much, but was sobbing badly when the redbirds retired and will be crying even harder when the R32 Brightliners retire next year. on the other hand, i will be extremely happy and jumping for joy when those R42s finally retire (i cannot wait till that day comes!). i will be a little disappointed to see these speed-demon R40s go.

Think about it, there was nothing really special about the R38s. Personally I was sad to see them go, but we knew their time would come, so I didn't really care. The R40s, however, are the only slants in the subway system. They deserve a farewell run, just like the Redbirds.

can anyone confirm wich set is the last one? I take the (A) everyday. I wanna snap some farewell pics!

Not certain as of yet...there will only be one left this week, so just head out there and find it. I know I will be!

That was fast. About a week or two ago there will still about 8-10 sets. Now there's only one?

No, they retire a set a week. One set's probably getting ready for it's final run for the weekend, so there will be one set left until the end of this week. I'm going to make an effort to try and catch it this week.

just to keep people active, i saw an R40S today at 2nd ave 207 inwood bound (A) via the (F), i think it was due to a delay on the (F) cuz there was 2 of them 1 which i was in which caused the (A) to run over the (F)ox

I happened to get one (4415) after the T/O test. I took an (F) from Delancey Street to Jay Street to get an (A) back uptown. An R46 came in, but I decided to not get on it since an R32 or an R40 could be behind it. While the R46 was in the station, a R40 came in on the other side, so I rode it to Utica Avenue. When I crossed over to the other side, a Queens bound R32 came in after the R40. I was on a R44 for a long ride from Utica up to 145.

I happened to get one (4415) after the T/O test. I took an (F) from Delancey Street to Jay Street to get an (A) back uptown. An R46 came in, but I decided to not get on it since an R32 or an R40 could be behind it. While the R46 was in the station, a R40 came in on the other side, so I rode it to Utica Avenue. When I crossed over to the other side, a Queens bound R32 came in after the R40. I was on a R44 for a long ride from Utica up to 145.

I think you mean "R40" in the last sentence.

It's amazing...we all thought we could get some last rides, when we realize that one ride is not enough, so we need to make the best of it. With only one set left later in the week, I'd be amazed that we will probably get our last rides together.

No, I meant R44:

1. I was at Jay on the Manhattan bound side when I saw an R40 on the Brooklyn bound side.

2. I crossed over to the other side and rode the R40 from Jay to Utica.

3. I got off at Utica and crossed over to the Manhattan bound side and took an R44 back home. While I was waiting for that R44, I saw an R32 come behind the R40.

No, I meant R44:

1. I was at Jay on the Manhattan bound side when I saw an R40 on the Brooklyn bound side.

2. I crossed over to the other side and rode the R40 from Jay to Utica.

3. I got off at Utica and crossed over to the Manhattan bound side and took an R44 back home. While I was waiting for that R44, I saw an R32 come behind the R40.

Ahh, okay then.

Archived