Question regarding the R142 vs R142A

What a car's propulsion "sounds" like has nothing to do with if it's better or not...

The R142's have a higher MDBF therefore they are more reliable. Of course, wasn't always that way...as delivered they had a lot of problems with brake shoe wear because of the radial truck design. However I'm curious how much of the R142 MDBF has to do with E. 180th Yd because they really maintain their equipment very well up there. I even met the Supt. last year and trust me that guy REALLY cares about his trains and takes a lot of pride in his barn's work as well as all those President's awards for MDBF.

Any C/R or T/O working the (4), (5), or (6) lines on a regular basis knows the answer without looking at the MDBF stats. Most of the posters just based their conclusions on ambient sounds or propulsion or HVAC noises but the car equipment department judges overall reliability and isn't biased toward any one type of equipment.

Any C/R or T/O working the (4), (5), or (6) lines on a regular basis knows the answer without looking at the MDBF stats. Most of the posters just based their conclusions on ambient sounds or propulsion or HVAC noises but the car equipment department judges overall reliability and isn't biased toward any one type of equipment.

So what is more reliable from your view as a T/O?

So what is more reliable from your view as a T/O?

R142 from what I've seen, and what the people who work the (4) tell me. And they operate both types daily. But remember that an individual's biases must be taken into account and their experience too.

The R142's MDBF are higher than the 142A's. I read that the R44's MDBF is higher than the 142A's.

Are you sure? The last I checked, the R44s have a fluctuating MDBF in the mid ten thousands while the R142As have a consistent MDBF in the high twenty thousands.

no, i think you mean R68/68As. they have the highest MDBF in the entire system at well over 250,000 miles as of 2007. the R44s actually have the worst at around 106,000 miles, and i am not saying that because i hate them. it is true. if you do not believe me, go check http://www.nycsubway.org
The R44 MDBF every year is extremely inconsistant. Like I said they fluctuate every year; some years with little to no failure, while other years with the unexplained. I seriously never had one break down and they run as smooth as the R68As. Also, the R68As are the only good trains that Kawasaki had built. Sorry for going off topic.

Are you sure? The last I checked, the R44s have a fluctuating MDBF in the mid ten thousands while the R142As have a consistent MDBF in the high twenty thousands.

It was posted by an TA worker on another forum that the 44's are predicted to outperform the R142A this year and are outperforming them right now...

Dosn't the R142 have the same propulsion as the R160A?

Yes, they have the same propulsion...

So, can the R142A be considered unreliable? Are the R143 reliable? Are Kawasaki cars reliable generally?

The R68A's (Which was built by kwasaki) is the most reliable SMEE's in the history of the NYC subway, as per the MDBF. I don't think any of the R10-R62A have gotten 300,000 MDBF numbers.

So, can the R142A be considered unreliable? Are the R143 reliable? Are Kawasaki cars reliable generally?

No, the R142A is reliable but there are other car classes that have performed better in the past year or so. There is nothing wrong with Kawasaki cars compared to the others.

actually, not exactly the same. both are from alstom, but if you listen closely, they sound a little different; the R142 doesn't make as many pitch changes after the starting three, while the R160 makes F sharp, E, D sharp, then alternate between F and D a three times before fading out. for you instrument junkies...

while the R142 makes F sharp, E, D sharp, F, and D then fade out (no alternating between F and D)

or it could be the annoyingly loud HVAC on the R142 that prevents you from hearing the thing...

R160A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWb9-rA6Du8

R142:

toward the end of the video (45 seconds and after) for acceleration

Time between failures is not the only way to measure reliability. MDBF often fluctuates greatly, and so especially when looking at long term trends, it is foolish to look at one month's snapshot of a figure.

I would strongly suggest that car availability is a more appropriate measure. The R142A fleet has never had a significant loss in available cars that has required the A division to cut 8(I think-- Memory is a little foggy on exact numbers) trains from the peak schedule.

The same cannot be said for the R142.

Yes as well as half of the R160Bs.

I only like the R68A b/c they are so comfortable and quiet. As for the R142A and the R143, I really hate their siren acceleration. As cool as it sounds outside, riding with it and hearing the siren can sometimes freak me out when I dose off and become extremely annoying. This goes the same with the Siemens Acceleration on the R160B. R143s and R160Bs also idle pretty loudly (my opinion) for a lot of other reasons.

• 6 years later...

Archived