Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Thanks!

Yeah last night into the morning was tough becauseof  having to do a graveyard shift and a half for 14 hrs straight just to get a VPN working with 24 workstations, 6 printers and VoLPs working correctly for a Jewish theocratic school. Must have came home about 10AM and was only able to sleep for a couple of hrs before heading out AGAIN for about a couple of hrs just to follow up on my work with my partner. 

Got time off tonight, my manager gave me Valentine's day off (YES!), but I have to switch shifts with another dude at our IT help desk dept on Saturday AND Sunday to keep the OT. I can only imagine how it must be when we have kids!

Well at least I can get some sleep finally tonight myself with lady by my side. Knowing I earned the day off tommorow sacrificing the weekend in the process but it's all good.....

I guess what I'm saying is with your honey and yourself Fresh Pond get ready because life can be very trying sometimes. You can tell me to stop freaking crying on your shoulder now lol.

Edited by realizm

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So some friends and I were out in town tonight, when of them decide to grind on a rail and his trucks loosen from his board. This guy literally managed to do that, scraping his deck and him landing on his face. This is the same dude that talks shit about my Sector 9 and the weak trucks on my Lookout. Well he hates longboards in general but still they can handle some loosening without falling apart on you.

Thanks!

Yeah last night into the morning was tough becauseof having to do a graveyard shift and a half for 14 hrs straight just to get a VPN working with 24 workstations, 6 printers and VoLPs working correctly for a Jewish theocratic school. Must have came home about 10AM and was only able to sleep for a couple of hrs before heading out AGAIN for about a couple of hrs just to follow up on my work with my partner.

Got time off tonight, my manager gave me Valentine's day off (YES!), but I have to switch shifts with another dude at our IT help desk dept on Saturday AND Sunday to keep the OT. I can only imagine how it must be when we have kids!

Well at least I can get some sleep finally tonight myself with lady by my side. Knowing I earned the day off tommorow sacrificing the weekend in the process but it's all good.....

I guess what I'm saying is with your honey and yourself Fresh Pond get ready because life can be very trying sometimes. You can tell me to stop freaking crying on your shoulder now lol.

Lmao its alright. I have to work tonight so all my plans had to be shifted into the day (and sacrificing my afternoon nap smh lol)

========

Random thought...I stayed home all day today (woke up at 5pm), and played Pokemon Black all day until I fell back asleep at about 9pm. Woke up at about midnight when my girl called me (damn ringtone scared the shit out of me lol) and I been up ever since

...I should be sleep right now, ironically

So indeed today is Valentine's Day 2/14/2013.

This is an interesting article on dating from askmen.coma very popular magazine for men with 15 million readers worldwide. A must read for men who are looking for love because the step by step methods described in this article for men actually works as far as I'm concerned!

*Credits to little kitten Keiko on this one! She just happened to find it accidentally (She knows I'm an avid reader of this online magazine) while surfing the internet for Japanese soap operas. I hate soap operas in general, the synopsis of the plots makes no sense whatsoever. I'm more  into WWE Raw and SmackdownNow that's a REAL man's soap opera.Thank goodness we have our own laptops, saves the trouble of us fighting over the dang remote control!  Lol.

Anyway this is part of the article: 

According to scientists, men know whether or not a woman has long-term potential within a few minutes of meeting her. When I first heard that, I felt a lot of pressure to perform on first dates. But then I realized it’s not the woman who needs to come off well in that situation -- it’s the guy. After all, if you think she’s awesome, you need to make sure you can show her you’re awesome enough to go out with again. And while I can’t make you dress well, smell better, or work out more often, I can tell you how to behave on a first date so that you score a second date.

1. Ask Her Questions

Women enjoy talking -- studies have shown we tend to communicate verbally more often than dudes -- so ask her questions about where she grew up, what her job is like, what sorts of hobbies she has, and what her favorite My Little Pony was. Women often naturally take on the role of an interviewer on dates, so you needn’t worry about it becoming a one-sided conversation; she’ll still ask you about how you got that cool scar on your chin. And then you can tell her all about the time you faced down a lion with nothing but a whip on a circus train hurtling through the desert when you were a teenager.

2. Be Nice To Other People

We notice when you’re short with the waitress, or you only leave the bartender a measly $1 tip on a $25 bar tab… and then we assume you’re an undercover assh*le who’ll cheat on us with a stripper. Is that a little presumptuous? Yes. But this is how our minds work. Being needlessly rude to anyone on date No. 1 can easily sink your chances for date No. 2, so cover your bases and be nice and generous. (That’s good advice anytime, actually.)

3. Pick Up The Tab

I know that going Dutch makes sense -- the economy stinks, she has a job just like you, you may not even know each other all that well -- but if you don’t at least make a sincere offer to pick up the tab, you very well may not get a second date. (Hey, we push eight-pound mini humans out of our vaginas; the least you can do is pay for some chicken and a couple glasses of wine.) When the bill comes, reach for it immediately and slide it toward you. If she offers to split it, politely but adamantly decline -- or suavely suggest that she buy you an after-dinner drink instead. However, if she nearly has an aneurism insisting over and over again that you split it, just let her; no one wants to have a screaming match over who’s paying, and besides, there’s a good chance she’s so insistent because she knows she doesn’t want a second date.

4. Go In For A Kiss

Patti Stanger is the star of Bravo’s Millionaire Matchmaker, which I’m sure you already knew since you’re a huge fan of the show. Anyway, she has at least one piece of good advice: At the end of the night, if you don’t give your date a romantic smooch, you have severely increased your chances of landing in the dreaded friend zone. And guys in the friend zone don’t usually land date No. 2. I happen to think a vertical, fully-clothed make out sesh on someone’s couch is the way to go. But if your date isn’t as slutty as I am, go in for the kill after walking her to her car or front door.

Edited by realizm

Lmao its alright. I have to work tonight so all my plans had to be shifted into the day (and sacrificing my afternoon nap smh lol)

========

Random thought...I stayed home all day today (woke up at 5pm), and played Pokemon Black all day until I fell back asleep at about 9pm. Woke up at about midnight when my girl called me (damn ringtone scared the shit out of me lol) and I been up ever since

...I should be sleep right now, ironically

So this is how it feels like to work overnights..... I'm working my F/T IT help desk job and *on top of that* finally fulfilled that 5 day overnight independent contract setting up the two networks at the two schools. Probably did 85 hours in change this week on 3 hrs of sleep a day (not counting Valentine's day) for 6 consecutive days straight. My manager @ MCU today actually out of concern told me if I want to, is to let the OT go and just return for my regular shift next week, which means I don't have to work again until Tuesday. So I get a break.

Talk about burning the candle at both ends..... Being logged all night hitting the subway trivia games on cup of coffee after cup of coffee helped me get though a hell of a week. Definitely am not going to do stunts like this this every single week.

Really, I should be asleep right now. Probably in a bit go ahead hit the sack finally and crash.....

Edited by realizm

All of my friends can sing wonderfully, meanwhile, i'm just sitting here vocoding the shit out of my vocals.

=========================================================================

On another note, does anyone know how to do autotune? I know how to do vocoding, but there are a few cases where autotune would be better.

All of my friends can sing wonderfully, meanwhile, i'm just sitting here vocoding the shit out of my vocals.

=========================================================================

On another note, does anyone know how to do autotune? I know how to do vocoding, but there are a few cases where autotune would be better.

No sorry. Is there a specific program you're using?

Also, you produce your own material. Which type/genre?

No sorry. Is there a specific program you're using?

Also, you produce your own material. Which type/genre?

I'm using FL Studio, with MDA for vocoding. Mainly EDM, but iv'e been doing alot more D&B and dubstep recently. But i'll do other stuff every so often. I'm pretty sure iv'e done at least one each of the most popular genres.

EDIT: I'm going to try to create a carrier synth that has that flat high tone, to give it that Autotune sound, but with MDA, I don't think it'll work that well.

Aww... I missed SNL. I have to keep track of time more...

Edited by CDTA

I'm using FL Studio, with MDA for vocoding. Mainly EDM, but iv'e been doing alot more D&B and dubstep recently. But i'll do other stuff every so often. I'm pretty sure iv'e done at least one each of the most popular genres.

EDIT: I'm going to try to create a carrier synth that has that flat high tone, to give it that Autotune sound, but with MDA, I don't think it'll work that well.

Aww... I missed SNL. I have to keep track of time more...

Hmmm, alright. So some variety.

Perhaps it'll work, I don't have much experience in tech, so don't take my word.

Lol, I haven't seen SNL in the longest time.

But really, the most I've ever dealt with were amplifiers, mics, keyboard, and lighting; so sorry if I'm of no help.

On the subject: I remember getting a perfect autotune sound, with Sytrus, but only when the key on the carrier was being changed without being changed on the actual vocals themselves. It's a really nice effect, but I forgot to click the magical "save" button, so I lost it. I can find the Sytrus preset no problem, but it's going to be difficult to recreate the project file. (The whole set was perfect, all I needed to add was the end, but as I said....)

Also, I spent the last 4 hours turning a 30-second loop into a five minute long remix, which isn't bad when you consider how good the remix is. And that's just a verse, the chorus, and the ending. Hopefully i'll finish it up tomorrow, but i'm generally more productive after 11PM, so I probably won't get around to it.

So this is how it feels like to work overnights..... I'm working my F/T IT help desk job and *on top of that* finally fulfilled that 5 day overnight independent contract setting up the two networks at the two schools. Probably did 85 hours in change this week on 3 hrs of sleep a day (not counting Valentine's day) for 6 consecutive days straight. My manager @ MCU today actually out of concern told me if I want to, is to let the OT go and just return for my regular shift next week, which means I don't have to work again until Tuesday. So I get a break.

Talk about burning the candle at both ends..... Being logged all night hitting the subway trivia games on cup of coffee after cup of coffee helped me get though a hell of a week. Definitely am not going to do stunts like this this every single week.

Really, I should be asleep right now. Probably in a bit go ahead hit the sack finally and crash.....

You need coffee to keep you awake

...whimp :P

You need coffee to keep you awake

...whimp :P

Lol. I guess this will take some time to get used to. It's been a pretty long time since I had to work the early AM hours. I know what you mean. The last time I had to do a job requiring overnight shifts was when I was out of state. I became so used to the routine (in time) that I can even just crash and sleep in the middle of a bright sunny day for 8 hrs straight before waking up for the next shift, no problem. I had to cheat with sleep meds but otherwise I did get used to it in time.

True, but coffee can only do so much. It doesn't help that I'm immune to caffeine.

Yeah sometimes it actually does the opposite and put me to sleep which defeats the whole purpose.

Went and ruined my Lent already.... on Ash Wednesday I went into a Wendy's and ordered a burger... halfway through I realized what I was eating but I kept going.

I really don't get the point of "giving things up" anymore.  I remember not doing anything for '09 or 2010 and nothing happened.

It's really more of a test of how closely you follow your religion in my opinion.

While I do fast during Lent, I do have to admit that I'm very much divided from the church.

What in the world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E38eYBeq81o

(If you just wanna watch the news clip pertaining to this story, it's b/w 1:40 & like 5:10)

I agree w/ the youtuber's comments as it pertains to this story.... The system is unfair to men.....

Can someone explain how in the hell you have a man still paying child support for a child that only lived to be 3 yrs. old (unfortunately)...

25 years later.....

The child was born in '85 & died in '88 & the child's father here in 2013 is STILL paying support for that kid???

And they're still saying he owes another 6k or whatever.....

The news station that reported this story tried to contact the child's mother for comment, but of course she wanted no part of that because she was getting free money out of the deal... Not for nothing, but I partially blame this guy also - in 25 years, you don't try to contact the child's mother to ask how the kid's doing? Or to speak to the kid? See, I'm not exactly buying that he didn't know the kid was dead all this time.... I think the father's runnin low on funds & is trying to seek every possible avenue to put money back into his pocket (which women are VERY good at doing btw)..... I don't care how ratchet some chick is, you still check on your damn kid(s).....

But even if, for the mother to not inform the father that the kid died in 88 for viral meningitis & what not, and to collect all that money she did from this guy in the process, shows how f*****g scandalous & low down some people out here really are.... Makes you not wanna have kids in this day & age....

So my mom finally said she's look into getting me a place to stay in D.C. for the week of Bronycon, and then I see this glimmering on the Bronycon page;

You need to be at least 14 years old to attend by yourself. If you are age 13 or under, you must be accompanied by either a parent or guardian of legal age.

GODDAMIT. Alot of people I know of age wanted to come, until they found out it was in Baltimore, and they check your ID's when you pick up your badge, so that's out of the question. Although, on the brightside, I do get $30 off for being underage, but that's countered with the costs of actually having to get a hotel room (The convention this year is round the clock, so I was planning on just pulling consecutive all nighters, and if necessary "crashing" at my "backup place". qq I have 100 days, i'm sure i'll figure something out. 

Damn, sucks to hear. I honestly thought you were fourteen already. I knew your birthday would be this year, just didn't know it was that late into the year. Do you know your method of travel yet? Also, what is your backup place?

Whenever I head out to venues in LA or OC if I can't make back home that night all I usually do is hang out and ride buses or subway/rail lines all throughout the early morning. Once I even took Greyhound out of LA just so I could get a few hours of sleep. Mind you I choose a longer route and I still waited a little under an hour at the bus terminal back home in Riverside. Sometimes traveling via public transit is tiring, but hey, it's cheap.

=============================================================================

And repling to (but not quoting) B35's post (#6071): That is ridiculous, but wait a minute. He was paying child support past the age 18 threshold? Things in this story aren't adding up. Everyone here had a responsibility to keep track of their shit and they failed to do that. I really am at a loss for words.

Edited by Turbo19

Damn, sucks to hear. I honestly thought you were fourteen already. I knew your birthday would be this year, just didn't know it was that late into the year. Do you know your method of travel yet? Also, what is your backup place?

Whenever I head out to venues in LA or OC if I can't make back home that night all I usually do is hang out and ride buses or subway/rail lines all throughout the early morning. Once I even took Greyhound out of LA just so I could get a few hours of sleep. Mind you I choose a longer route and I still waited a little under an hour at the bus terminal back home in Riverside. Sometimes traveling via public transit is tiring, but hey, it's cheap.

=============================================================================

And repling to (but not quoting) B35's post (#6071): That is ridiculous, but wait a minute. He was paying child support past the age 18 threshold? Things in this story aren't adding up. Everyone here had a responsibility to keep track of their shit and they failed to do that. I really am at a loss for words.

That's what I was planning when this came up. I was originally going to commute via Amtrak because it was quick, and relatively inexpensive, but I said "No, that's too simple," so I created a plan that would involve me taking the subway, to the express bus, and then light rail to the convention center. It was actually only about 20 minutes longer, and $5 cheaper a day. Then I looked up when the convention started so I could plan accordingly, (I do this for fun, what a social life I have) and I saw it was round the clock, and also saw the tidbit of information I posted here. My "backup" place was my mom's friend apartment. If I need a chaperon I highly doubt i'm staying round the clock, and i'd probably be staying in a hotel. (Unless the person i'm staying with comes with me, but I doubt that highly) I looked into commuting from NYC, but that just isn't do-able. That was actually a problem I had last year, I wanted to stay till the end which was at 2AM, but my chaperon said no, not because it was dangerous or anything, but he couldn't. I even made sure there was 3AM NJT bus back into Port Authority. (Silly filly's didn't check schedule for the bus half a mile down the road, and they waited till 5AM for one. )

=======================================================================================

For some reason, this made me laugh hysterically.

q1ykd.jpg

Edited by CDTA

Alright then. I honestly thought you'd just wait at some public place out in the cold or something.

Also, I lol'd when you said the only reason you planned ahead was because your social life. Better to plan ahead then to be out waiting/stranded longer then you have to.