Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I was like WTF when I saw this in an article this morning concerning what is called 'geki-sema share houses - 激せまシャアハウス ' in Tokyo. They look like they're school lockers but low income residents in the city actually rent out these units. For about $600 US dollars in change a resident can rent a 50 to 75 square foot coffer apartment in units stacked on top one another, where you cannot even stand upright to move around. Sorely lacking in amenities, no windows. It's a symptom of a seriously out of control real estate market in Tokyo.

In the pics it shows one of the dwellings occupied by a 19 year old student who is pursuing her dreams of going into the performing arts. I guess she is humbly trying to make the best of her situation.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news29734.html

tiny-coffin-apartments1_bfae2.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments2_69499.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments3_124ca.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments5_b2e24.jpg

That is insane.... 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was like WTF when I saw this in an article this morning concerning what is called 'geki-sema share houses - 激せまシャアハウス '

in Tokyo. They look like they're school lockers but low income

residents in the city actually rent out these units. For about $600 US

dollars in change a resident can rent a 50 to 75 square foot coffer

apartment in units stacked on top one another, where you cannot even

stand upright to move around. Sorely lacking in amenities, no windows.

It's a symptom of a seriously out of control real estate market in Tokyo.

In

the pics it shows one of the dwellings occupied by a 19 year old

student who is pursuing her dreams of going into the performing arts. I

guess she is humbly trying to make the best of her situation.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news29734.html

tiny-coffin-apartments1_bfae2.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments2_69499.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments3_124ca.jpg

tiny-coffin-apartments5_b2e24.jpg

That is insane.... 

Yeah it broke my heart when I saw this girl having to live in such inhumane conditions. That is the truth about Japan. Another thing that is becoming epidemic in Tokyo is cases of homelessness which is skyrocking as of very recently. If you look at the pic below which reveals how a shack is laid out in a squatting village in Manilla, Phillipines, we can clearly see where these ridiculously greedy landlords in Tokyo got their ideas from:

squatter-rights-3.jpg

Definitely, we have our own problems in New York City with our own housing epidemic to contend with. But at least 600 dollars can get a person a decent sized room. But with Japan in general in the midst of a serious resession, and the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami which sparked the Fukushima Nuclear disaster, the nation is reeling right about now, particularly in the major cities like Tokyo with things as this as the result......

Edited by realizm

Yeah it broke my heart when I saw this girl having to live in such inhumane conditions. That is the truth about Japan. Another thing that is becoming epidemic in Tokyo is cases of homelessness which is skyrocking as of very recently. If you look at the pic below which reveals how a shack is laid out in a squatting village in Manilla, Phillipines, we can clearly see where these ridiculously greedy landlords in Tokyo got their ideas from:

squatter-rights-3.jpg

Definitely, we have our own problems in New York City with our own housing epidemic to contend with. But at least 600 dollars can get a person a decent sized room. But with Japan in general in the midst of a serious resession, and the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami which sparked the Fukushima Nuclear disaster, the nation is reeling right about now, particularly in the major cities like Tokyo with things as this as the result......

Believe it or not this so called "housing shortage" is happening all over.  I was watching European Journal a few months ago and they were talking about how students in Germany are being priced out in Berlin and how there are vacant apartments available but some people want to tear them down to create more luxury housing, so some folks have resorted to sleeping whereever they can... Shacking up with friends or what have you.  It's really insane and here in New York City, the rents are being are being jacked up because so few people can get approved for mortgages these days which is putting a strain on the rental market.

Here in Riverdale now I see studios going for $1,250.00, so even the more isolated areas are pricey, though Riverdale has always been relatively pricey considering that it isn't in Manhattan and its isolation.

Sorry to be a (Japanese) Grammar officer, but you missed the small ェ in シェイア.

When I went to Manila about a decade back a lot of Filipinos the age of the girl in the video still lived with their family, but I wouldn't be surprised that they do that there now.  What's surprising is that it's spread to Tokyo, which is already insanely expensive to live in compared to the rest of Japan.

Sorry to be a (Japanese) Grammar officer, but you missed the small ェ in シェイア.

When I went to Manila about a decade back a lot of Filipinos the age of the girl in the video still lived with their family, but I wouldn't be surprised that they do that there now.  What's surprising is that it's spread to Tokyo, which is already insanely expensive to live in compared to the rest of Japan.

That's because Tokyo is small and everyone wants to be in Tokyo.  Factor that in with how small Japan is already and its limited natural resources and it's not hard to understand why it's so expensive.  Also the Japanese have one of the highest standards of living, similar to that of the Swiss and other Western and Northern European countries.

Interesting that Tokyo and Osaka and #1 and #2 around the world as the most expensive cities to live in and only Switzerland has two cities in the top 10 aside from Japan with Zurich and Geneva.  Geneva is insanely expensive due to the lack of land and the high standard of living and the fact that UNESCO is there. Apparently even lowly waiters can earn 60 - 100k a year there... Friggin' insane.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/06/and-the-worlds-10-most-expensive-cities-of-2013-are/

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh god, I hate my neighbor. I know now is Friday, but this shit with these 12am and after parties has gone for too long (basically its been like an on and off thing since the start of the year or like 2-3 days a week). The guy is a scary looking dude, sorta ex con like (so I ain't approaching him by myself), and there's like 2 other guys living with him. but I'm also a little worried about the possible repercussions (revenge type shit) of I were to go to the cops and report him.

I dunno what to do, but otoh I'm starting to lose my sanity over the lack of sleep and peace.

Edited by Grand Concourse

More like I had an internet addiction relapse. :P

It's all good, I've been there myself.

Oh god, I hate my neighbor. I know now is Friday, but this shit with these 12am and after parties has gone for too long (basically its been like an on and off thing since the start of the year or like 2-3 days a week). The guy is a scary looking dude, sorta ex con like (so I ain't approaching him by myself), and there's like 2 other guys living with him. but I'm also a little worried about the possible repercussions (revenge type shit) of I were to go to the cops and report him.

I dunno what to do, but otoh I'm starting to lose my sanity over the lack of sleep and peace.

I'd honestly just alert the authorities if he's just doing that constantly. I don't know exactly who the people in your situation are, but I doubt they'd be the type to seek revenge.

I messed the headphone jack on my old iPod touch up... sad, because the iPod itself is still fine.  Maybe when I get my license and car, I'll just get one of those kits that plugs into where the USB cable goes.  I tried ordering another iPod but Amazon is telling me it's not arriving until March 20th.

Why not just fix the old one?

My neighbor likes playing music (as in playing songs on his guitar and doing all sorts of mixes) but he does a lot of playing when I'm not around so as to keep the peace because otherwise I think he knows I would get pissed and make a stink and he is much shorter than me. :lol:   I had a situation last year where the guy below me was smoking and his cigarette smoke was drifting up from his place and up to my balcony and I could never leave my balcony door open for too long, so one night I got so pissed I just started fuming and was yelling like crazy to 311 about this guy.  I was seriously considering legal action against him because it was getting ridiculous and I know the guy next door to me heard me. lol Long story short I made a stink to the landlord and he put up "No Smoking" signs on the property which have helped. If you're renting I would speak with the landlord.  That's the one thing I'm concerned about when I buy an apartment is to get a place that I buy and then have some crazy noise going on or cigarette smoking 24/7.  I've heard of cases where people have bought apartments and got into heated legal battles because of cigarette smoke drifting into their apartment and they went to court and won.  

In my case I had asked the broker if anyone smoked before moving in and he said no, and most people don't smoke with the exception of the guy below me which I doubt he knew, but I actually wrote a rider into my lease that stipulated that a no smoking policy would be enforced to cover myself just in case and I reminded my landlord of that when I brought up the issue and stated that I expected it to be enforced.  Perhaps if you rent and plan on renewing your lease you should write up a rider and include it because if you pay your rent on time and are a good tenant, believe you me in most cases the landlord will try to mitigate the problem.  

Otherwise, use your time to look for another place if you rent or if you bought your place and don't want to move, look into legal action, which is what most people do or they actually sell their place and move.  I've been very fortunate though to have a very nice situation.  Very quiet overall and no real issues aside from the cigarette issue last year which has been dealt with.

New York City noise control codes blatently states that there is to be no noise disturbances (i.e. loud music, stomping on the floor, hitting the walls, loud dog barking etc) for a duration that is no more than over five minutes between the hours of 10PM to 7AM. If any of you guys experience this you can express your right to see to it these laws are enforced by police, as Turbo said.

Oh I forgot, you can make the call to NYPD anonymously so you are protected from having to deal with retailiation from the unruly neighbor. The PO's who respond to the disturbance would never give out your name. This is protocol for them to protect the person making the initial complaint.

Edited by realizm

Good advices, thanks guys! And yeah, last night was the worst. 'Party' started from 12-4am and that's only because I gave up and turned up the radio to drown out the noise. 911 is useless, they just directed me to 311. I've also filed 2 noise compliant forms on the 311 website, all totally useless. It's gotten to the point where its probably best to just make the call to the cops directly. This shit has to stop. I mean Christ sakes, how many fing parties can this guy have? It's one thing if it was a detached house, but he's sandwiched in bw me and another persons house. There's like a bunch of empty houses in the area, I don't get why this guy still stays here.

He's got a curtain behind the blinds, there's rarely trash lately for garbage pick ups, and the few times the curtains were open it looked like the living room was just empty. I don't want to sound paranoid here, but that just raises a red flag IMO. The guy is obviously hiding something.

A little background on the guy: basically last year the wife who bought the house in the first place found out the guy was cheating on her. She divorced him and left. She stopped paying the mortgage and somehow this guy is able to stay maybe paying some rent? So ever since the year started I've been seeing him with 2-3 other guys coming in and out of the place late at night. It's almost always at night with the one case this Thursday with the loud music blasting away in the afternoon. I rarely get involved in someone's activities, but this has been 2 plus months now and just out of control. The guy also has a short temper, as some weeks back when there was the snow fall of several inches, I shoveled some snow out onto the road (parking lane) and it was all on my half, but he goes ballistic by cursing and banging on the front door demanding I shovel the snow away cuz it was blocking his spot. The guy has a beat up SUV he hardly drives, so it's not like he needs to worry about blocking his own driveway and he can always back up the car. Needless to say he and 2 other guys inside comes out and starts to shovel the snow in front of my driveway in a bitch ass move. So nope, this is the type of guy that I don't want living near me and I want gone ASAP. Even the other neighbors are talking about it. They say its a matter of time till something happens to him, but it can't come fast enough.

So I finally sent my G12 out to Canon today to be serviced. Back in September my lens got stuck but I had the camera working again within a month. When Hurricane Sandy hit and the system was free for the rest of the week, my camera was working fine. The Saturday when the fares were reinstated, my camera conked out on me again. Now I'm finally sending out my camera to be fixed.

The good thing is, I'm using my college's Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 as an interim camera. They're allowing me to hold on to the camera for as long as I need to. I doubt they'll let me keep it during Spring Break (which starts on the 25th for me), but I won't complain. I should have my G12 back by then I hope.

Good advices, thanks guys! And yeah, last night was the worst. 'Party' started from 12-4am and that's only because I gave up and turned up the radio to drown out the noise. 911 is useless, they just directed me to 311. I've also filed 2 noise compliant forms on the 311 website, all totally useless. It's gotten to the point where its probably best to just make the call to the cops directly. This shit has to stop. I mean Christ sakes, how many fing parties can this guy have? It's one thing if it was a detached house, but he's sandwiched in bw me and another persons house. There's like a bunch of empty houses in the area, I don't get why this guy still stays here.

He's got a curtain behind the blinds, there's rarely trash lately for garbage pick ups, and the few times the curtains were open it looked like the living room was just empty. I don't want to sound paranoid here, but that just raises a red flag IMO. The guy is obviously hiding something.

A little background on the guy: basically last year the wife who bought the house in the first place found out the guy was cheating on her. She divorced him and left. She stopped paying the mortgage and somehow this guy is able to stay maybe paying some rent? So ever since the year started I've been seeing him with 2-3 other guys coming in and out of the place late at night. It's almost always at night with the one case this Thursday with the loud music blasting away in the afternoon. I rarely get involved in someone's activities, but this has been 2 plus months now and just out of control. The guy also has a short temper, as some weeks back when there was the snow fall of several inches, I shoveled some snow out onto the road (parking lane) and it was all on my half, but he goes ballistic by cursing and banging on the front door demanding I shovel the snow away cuz it was blocking his spot. The guy has a beat up SUV he hardly drives, so it's not like he needs to worry about blocking his own driveway and he can always back up the car. Needless to say he and 2 other guys inside comes out and starts to shovel the snow in front of my driveway in a bitch ass move. So nope, this is the type of guy that I don't want living near me and I want gone ASAP. Even the other neighbors are talking about it. They say its a matter of time till something happens to him, but it can't come fast enough.

Might as well say it.... my fiancee and I recently went through a similar situation where this loser upstairs is blasting music at 5AM in the morning! Being that because she cannot sleep all night and now even afraid to go to sleep, I nearly lost it, went up on the next floor, kicked his door and told him that if he does that shit again he is going to see what will happen and it will NOT involve the police. He said what you gonna do about it, all flexin and shit. I said you are going to find out fast if you continue with this shit! I dont want to have to have MG and 8Ball blasting through my f**king ceiling at 5AM in the morning. I can have a very bad temper along with a lack of patience.

He did'nt call the cops but my fiancee did. The police officers showed up and then ordered the fool to turn the music down. That's how I began to see for sure how the noise control laws work. I complained to the landlord. And now he may get evicted, albiet for different reasons because he was delinquent on the rent. Not sure how much time the judge may give this bafoon, it could be one month, 3 months or 6 months.

Unfortunately, even as PO's can enforce certain noise control laws, the part on the delinquency on rent is a civil matter that has to be settled in court. And this retard of a tenant in my two family house I am at is protected by sqatter rights.

Anyway, Grand Concourse, the NYPD must enforce noise control laws. They will certinatly break up the house parties by force if these laws are violated. I can guarantee you that. What you need to do GC is NOT call 311, but instead call 911 and they will redirect you to the local police department -or- you can get the number of the precient and call them directly.

Edited by realizm

Sorry to hear of your situation, seems we have something in common. When I called 911, I was immediately directed to use 311 via automated announcements and that was it. I guess I will have to call my local precinct directly then...

On the squatter issue, years back my folks rented out the house I'm currently in and there was a tenant who was divorced and just stopped paying. I think they lost like 5 months rent and when the court finally forced her out, the house was a total mess, trash everywhere and damaged walls. This is why I have no hope for people these days. They get so effing emotional over a divorce and can't pick themselves up and move on....

LOL! You should check on the property and see what the deal is on it.  If the wife moved out and he's still there and there's nothing in the house maybe he's squatting...

LOL! You should check on the property and see what the deal is on it.  If the wife moved out and he's still there and there's nothing in the house maybe he's squatting...

Yeah he needs to find out who actually owns the house and see if the morgage is in delinquent status

Click here and do a search on the ACRIS website (official goverment website): http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/Scripts/Coverpage.dll/index

That should give you all the info you need to find out if the deadbeat is actually a live in, or squatting and either way, disturbing the peace.

Edited by realizm

Hem I'll look into it.that was my first thought about him being a squatter.

Believe it or not they're quite common these days, esp. with homes that are foreclosed on since so many people are struggling. You have people that watch houses to see when people move out and when they confirm that they move right in.  The banks may foreclose on the property but may not be in any rush to kick whoever may be in the house out, so it could be months before anything happens and sometimes they just write it off altogether to get it off of their balance sheets.

The catch to this is that since he is protected by law it would take many court actions that the bank may have to be responsible for who is reponsible for the foreclosure if not the city. It's again a process that only the owner of the house (if he or she is even interested in dealing with the situation), the bank who is repossesing the house or the city can handle. But you as the neighbor have your rights as well in regards to noise control. So get going with a plan and use your playing cards to get this guy to stop with his bullshit. Just make sure to keep a cool head and be patient.

Would also be wise to get together with the other neighbors and see what they're thinking... Get enough people together, find out what the status of the house is and look into legal actions.  If he's squatting that's no good for the property values on the block so it would be in everyone's interest to get rid of him.

Would also be wise to get together with the other neighbors and see what they're thinking... Get enough people together, find out what the status of the house is and look into legal actions.  If he's squatting that's no good for the property values on the block so it would be in everyone's interest to get rid of him.

Listen to him Grand Concourse! He knows what he is talking about, this is good advice.

If your neighborhood has a community watch, that may be your answer rather then struggling through red tape and countless days of migraine headaches to get this guy stopped in his tracks with disturbing the peace. They can even in their meetings give you leads and legal advice.

The South Bronx historically had a notorious problem with this but after community leaders got together to address this problem all the way up to the independant media and even the Bronx Preident's office  eventually the NYPD did step up on this. Now amazing the South bronx is much quiter than it used to be. An extreme case I know but it's just to show you that there are solutions to your problems.

Edited by realizm