Battery Park City Resident Complaints about Ferry Horn Noise

FamousNYLover

http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/unruly-ferry-horns-driving-away-residents-in-battery-park-city/

I read on Downtown Express newspaper. Why are they complaining. First Greenwich Village complaints about tour guide in tour bus making noise, followed by plane noise and train noise near Sunnyside Yard.

Now, Battery Park City residents want to complaint about ferry horn?

Ferries were there first. Ferry horns to warn other ferry or sightseeing cruises warn each other.

I don't think there's no way to silence ferry horn.

It could be possible if they want to silence ferry horn, residents near East River Ferry and NY Water Taxi might want to do same and complain horn noise from ferry.

I don't mind noises because I live right under LGA Airport, and most of Hispanic-Spanish love to have loud noise party lot, especially in summer, even on school days.

If your rich enough to afford to live in Battery Park City, you can move if its that big of a deal. I have no sympathy for someone who calls Battery Park City a respite from city life.... in one of the densest neighborhoods in the country.

Besides that, maritime law requires the horns to warn of the vessel's movement from port. Its not just about kyakers but other vessels in the area. 

If your rich enough to afford to live in Battery Park City, you can move if its that big of a deal. I have no sympathy for someone who calls Battery Park City a respite from city life.... in one of the densest neighborhoods in the country.

Besides that, maritime law requires the horns to warn of the vessel's movement from port. Its not just about kyakers but other vessels in the area. 

Well the fact of the matter is Battery Park City is no longer just a place for business.  It's been becoming more and more residential now for years, and so the needs of the community have changed.

I'm from downtown (not BPC, the other side) and if you live there, hell anywhere in the city you can expect some noise. If I shut my AC I'd be hearing screaming drunks, trucks, sirens and all kinds of stuff and a lot of times that stuff is even louder than the AC. I can sleep at night and concentrate on what I want to just fine. And according to the article the ambulance sirens I constantly hear living by a hospital are louder than the ferry horns, is my building all up in arms telling the hospital to shut their ambulances up? No. We live here and noise can be expected. I hate people who say BPC is like some kind of suburb, sure it's quieter compared to other parts but it's not New Jersey and you're gonna hear some noise, it's Manhattan and you're in a condo building on the Hudson River. You want a break from the city but still being in city limits move to Riverdale or Staten Island. You can't seriously live in Manhattan, I don't care what area and complain about noise you can expect to hear in Manhattan especially on the Hudson.

I'm from downtown (not BPC, the other side) and if you live there, hell anywhere in the city you can expect some noise. If I shut my AC I'd be hearing screaming drunks, trucks, sirens and all kinds of stuff and a lot of times that stuff is even louder than the AC. I can sleep at night and concentrate on what I want to just fine. And according to the article the ambulance sirens I constantly hear living by a hospital are louder than the ferry horns, is my building all up in arms telling the hospital to shut their ambulances up? No. We live here and noise can be expected. I hate people who say BPC is like some kind of suburb, sure it's quieter compared to other parts but it's not New Jersey and you're gonna hear some noise, it's Manhattan and you're in a condo building on the Hudson River. You want a break from the city but still being in city limits move to Riverdale or Staten Island. You can't seriously live in Manhattan, I don't care what area and complain about noise you can expect to hear in Manhattan especially on the Hudson.

While you do have a point about moving to Riverdale or Staten Island to get away from the noise and filth of the city, I think they have a right to complain to see if the noise can be minimized.  I will admit that living in Riverdale, the most noise that I usually hear are woodpeckers on the trees outside of my balcony.  This is a very sleepy, quiet neighborhood, away from the noise and tourists, and that's just the way I like it. It was the same way when I lived on Staten Island too... Quiet with woodpeckers.  During the summer on my way to the express bus there were some German tourists near one of the step streets, and I almost passed out wondering what in the hell were they doing in Riverdale and if they had somehow become lost and thought they were in Manhattan, as we don't get too many tourists up here except for the ones checking out Wave Hill who go for a walking tour of the historical sites and the main streets.  Now that the summer is over, it'll be nice and quiet with no one doing any walking tours and few outsiders.   :D

Everyone has a right to complain. But no one has the right for anyone to take them seriously.

Why not?  If the noise is excessive then something should be done about it.  I have friends that live in Manhattan, and anytime I've stayed with them I have had a nice quiet evening.  One lived off of 5th in a doorman building a few blocks south of 14th street.  It was nice and quiet... The only thing that skeeved me out was the dirty streets nearby.  I just can't deal with walking out of a nice building with a tree lined street and then being in Union Square and it being so filthy and calling that my neighborhood. Nothing "cool" or exciting about that about at all.  I said to myself walking to the express bus, this is why I don't and can't live in Manhattan.

Why not?  If the noise is excessive then something should be done about it.  I have friends that live in Manhattan, and anytime I've stayed with them I have had a nice quiet evening.  One lived off of 5th in a doorman building a few blocks south of 14th street.  It was nice and quiet... The only thing that skeeved me out was the dirty streets nearby.  I just can't deal with walking out of a nice building with a tree lined street and then being in Union Square and it being so filthy and calling that my neighborhood. Nothing "cool" or exciting about that about at all.  I said to myself walking to the express bus, this is why I don't and can't live in Manhattan.

The amount of snob oozing from this post is abhorrent. 

This really has nothing to do with any ferry horn.... This is one of those things where someone feigns a complaint in the place of something they really want to file a complaint about - Which in this case, is Battery Park City becoming more of a tourist attraction..... I've heard about this issue from those patrons before..... What it is, is that you have some of those Ground Zero visitors & what not, venturing their way west, and enough of the residents do not take kindly to it at all...... Battery Park City isn't "that quiet area" that it used to be, so you do have some that are moving from the area..... Keep it up, and it's gonna be infiltrated with hipsters... Just watch.

Anyway, Red Hook patrons did the exact opposite of this.... You (still) have them complaining about the traffic IKEA brings to the neighborhood.... They were straight-forward about that, from the time IKEA came about.....

http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/unruly-ferry-horns-driving-away-residents-in-battery-park-city/

I read on Downtown Express newspaper. Why are they complaining. First Greenwich Village complaints about tour guide in tour bus making noise, followed by plane noise and train noise near Sunnyside Yard.

Now, Battery Park City residents want to complaint about ferry horn?

Ferries were there first. Ferry horns to warn other ferry or sightseeing cruises warn each other.

I don't think there's no way to silence ferry horn.

It could be possible if they want to silence ferry horn, residents near East River Ferry and NY Water Taxi might want to do same and complain horn noise from ferry.

I don't mind noises because I live right under LGA Airport, and most of Hispanic-Spanish love to have loud noise party lot, especially in summer, even on school days.

What are you, a fish???

This is just as bad (and stupid) as when people in Long Island City bitched about the train yard noise problem...

Nah, that BS was far worse IMO.... See, those were yuppies that moved into Long Island City, bitched about noise pollution (and actually wanted the whole damn yard gone on top of it.. smh) - as if the yard was propped up after the influx of those folks inhabiting the area.....

I meant I live in noisy area of Jackson Heights with airplane noise and loud party noise in summer which most Hispanic or Spanish origin loves to have loud parties mostly starts from afternoon or evening, then most parties go up to 2 o'clock in morning, especially in summer.

This really has nothing to do with any ferry horn.... This is one of those things where someone feigns a complaint in the place of something they really want to file a complaint about - Which in this case, is Battery Park City becoming more of a tourist attraction..... I've heard about this issue from those patrons before..... What it is, is that you have some of those Ground Zero visitors & what not, venturing their way west, and enough of the residents do not take kindly to it at all...... Battery Park City isn't "that quiet area" that it used to be, so you do have some that are moving from the area..... Keep it up, and it's gonna be infiltrated with hipsters... Just watch.

Anyway, Red Hook patrons did the exact opposite of this.... You (still) have them complaining about the traffic IKEA brings to the neighborhood.... They were straight-forward about that, from the time IKEA came about.....

What are you, a fish???

Nah, that BS was far worse IMO.... See, those were yuppies that moved into Long Island City, bitched about noise pollution (and actually wanted the whole damn yard gone on top of it.. smh) - as if the yard was propped up after the influx of those folks inhabiting the area.....

Some didn't take kindly to me when I was walking around there sometime ago lol.

What it is, is that you have some of those Ground Zero visitors & what not, venturing their way west, and enough of the residents do not take kindly to it at all......

As much as tourists can be a pain in the ass, you live in Manhattan and you can expect them. The WFC redevelopments aren't gonna stop any of that either.

Some didn't take kindly to me when I was walking around there sometime ago lol.

If you go to the movies, WFC, the park by the ferry terminal or anything over there you don't really get looks. If you're walking around down on South End that's where people are gonna give the looks, but I don't really look that out of place over there so I'm usually good but I'll get some looks, the same kind like I get if I hop on the QM25.

While you do have a point about moving to Riverdale or Staten Island to get away from the noise and filth of the city, I think they have a right to complain to see if the noise can be minimized.  I will admit that living in Riverdale, the most noise that I usually hear are woodpeckers on the trees outside of my balcony.  This is a very sleepy, quiet neighborhood, away from the noise and tourists, and that's just the way I like it. It was the same way when I lived on Staten Island too... Quiet with woodpeckers.  During the summer on my way to the express bus there were some German tourists near one of the step streets, and I almost passed out wondering what in the hell were they doing in Riverdale and if they had somehow become lost and thought they were in Manhattan, as we don't get too many tourists up here except for the ones checking out Wave Hill who go for a walking tour of the historical sites and the main streets.  Now that the summer is over, it'll be nice and quiet with no one doing any walking tours and few outsiders.   :D

When did you see tourists? If you saw them on October 11th-12th, OpenHouse New York Weekend events, where lots of off-site buildings, houses and museums open for public across the five boroughs.

http://www.ohny.org/weekend/event-guide

When did you see tourists? If you saw them on October 11th-12th, OpenHouse New York Weekend events, where lots of off-site buildings, houses and museums open for public across the five boroughs.

http://www.ohny.org/weekend/event-guide

There are always some tourists in the summertime, but they usually don't stray off of Riverdale Avenue.  Anything west of Riverdale Avenue is mainly residential and folks don't go strolling too much by the parkway.

There are always some tourists in the summertime, but they usually don't stray off of Riverdale Avenue.  Anything west of Riverdale Avenue is mainly residential and folks don't go strolling too much by the parkway.

Also if you look at Yahoo Answers, there's always some tourists who want to do non-tourist or visit non-tourist area.

There are tourists during summer instead of going to Rockaway Beach or Jones Beach, they go to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge bird sanctually.

• 4 weeks later...

You live in lower Manhattan? If so, then hell yeah that area is noise, especially with the WTC reconstruction and all for more than a decade. 

Archived