Subway Photo Assignment

R160

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my final project for my photography class. I decided I'm going to take subway photos since I'm home for the week.

I was wondering if you guys had any possible locations that would be a good place to shoot. I can't just take pictures of trains in stations or anything like that. The photos have to be somewhat interesting and some have to include people.

Here are some ideas I have so far:

• Picture of the (A) near Broad Channel/Rockaways with bridge in the background
  • (7) at 33rd/40th/46th Sts with Manhattan skyline in background
  • (F)(Q) at W. 8 St/Coney Island with Ferris Wheel/beach in background
  • Depth of Field shot at Bay Parkway (D) with train coming around the curve (station sign in focus, subway out of focus)
  • Picture from north end (Front) of Queensboro Plaza upper level with (N) and (7) in station
  • Picture of a person sitting on a bench at an underground station waiting for train (low vantage point)
  • Picture of a person leaning against the doors looking away
  • Picture at Grand Central connection btwn (7) and the (4)(5)(6) with slow shutter
  • High vantage shot of a crowded subway car

If you have any other ideas (or would like to be a subject in a photo) let me know!  :D Thanks!

I would suggest Smith/9th (F)(G), there are some amazing views of the skyline from there too, also any station along the Lex with a window on its mezzanine looking down towards the tracks and platforms below, including 96th Street (6), Union Square (4)(5)(6), and Borough Hall (4), and Ditmars Blvd (N)(Q), with the Hell Gate line crossing above.

I second smith 9th, I'd recommend before/during and after sunset. Real nice potential shots there. 

I also kind of like the Franklin av (S), many of the station's there can have pretty nice shots but it's not like there's much other stuff in the photos if you're trying to get city sights in the photos also. 

Queensboro Plaza is good too. 

The new fulton st hub is a good place to take photos at. You can take the pics from below or from above. 225th on the 1, you can get a shot with the broadway bridge.
I dunno if your requirement states you have to stay in the system, but if you can get shots of the 1 line 125th st station from the ground then that would be another good one.

Bronx: All elevated stations including MNRR Platform.

Van Cortlandt Park-242nd St: With nature.

225th St/Marble Hill: Both (1)/MNRR Platform)

Brooklyn: All elevated stations including Broadway Junction (L) platform looking down at (J)(Z) Platform, or train yard including LIRR Platform.

Smith-9th St

4th Av-9th St

Manhattan:

Elevated 125th St (1) or from street level at Broadway between 135th and 116th Sts.

Amtrak Track at Inwood Hill Park

All elevated stations

Park Av/97th St or Harlem-125th St: Looking down at MNRR tracks.

96th St, 68th St, 14th St, Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall (4)(5)(6)(J)(Z) tracks: Looking down.

Queens:

Junction Blvd (Elevator Overpass)

All elevated stations or street levels.
61st-Woodside: Both from (7)/LIRR Platform

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (West Pond- East of Cross Bay Blvd): Muddy, and requires old shoes or boots)

Kingsbridge Road (4) coming from the curve in Bedford Park Blvd.

Eastchester-Dyre Avenue (5) leaving the terminal.

St.George (SIR) coming into the station.

Jamaica-179 Street with a (E) entering in the background.

AM <5> pulling into Nereid Avenue from the 239th Street Yard

(A) departing Rockaway Park – Beach 116th Street

Southbound  <6> departing Parkchester – East 177th Street

(N)(Q) emerging from the 60th Street Tunnel towards Queensboro Plaza

(2)(3) skipping 59th Street – Columbus Circle

Since everybody is suggesting stuff above ground I think it's right for me to suggest some stuff under as well.

First off, I have to recommend curved stations for underground. A slight curve will offer great vantage points. Good examples of this are at Union Sq on the 4, 5, and 6 or South Ferry(the old one) on the 1. Also, look for IND express stations that aren't so crowded, such as 47-50 St's Rock Ctr. These stations generally have great lighting for astonishing photographs. Try to avoid local stations with dark express tracks in the center, they make for a unappealing photograph on my experience.

When your taking photographs of the trains, I'd stand where the train will be going the slowest, or where you can take a still shot of it. Also, if you are underground try to hit your exposure just right. Depending on your location and your stop this may change. While waiting for a train (if you have a digital) experiment a little to try and nail a good exposure. On my digital SLR I usually use Manual underground, because Program Auto and Auto seem unreliable underground. During daytime above ground you should be fine in Auto. After that just have fun and you'll get great results.

Finally, when planning your adventures through the system, check this webpage which details each station in the system, it's very helpful:

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Line_By_Line_Guide

Archived