•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Is Penn Station via the MNRR Hudson Line a Possibility Again?

• Please log in to reply
    100 replies to this topic

#11 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,089 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, but while those riders in Spuyten Duyvil make up a decent percentage of Hudson Line riders (considering it's just one stop), you have to consider that it would be slowing down riders coming from Westchester (presumably Putnam/Dutchess riders would be on trains that go express after Yonkers, so they would be taking the straight tracks anyway). The question is: Does the time saved by West Midtown-bound Spuyten Duyvil riders warrant the inconvenience to West Midtown-bound Westchester riders and the extra cost involved in creating a branch just for them?

The plans right now are for 3 stops in Manhattan: Penn Station, UWS, and West Harlem.

I don't think that's an issue. The (MTA) already opened up trains to Riverdale that previously didn't serve the community. Given the service increases here, and seeing more people use the service, the question is how to make that one station work given how isolated it is, especially on weekends when the Hudson Rail link doesn't run. A lack of access can deter ridership which is one reason Spuyten Duyvil sees more riders. If more people drive to the Riverdale station then changes have to be made to accommodate more cars parking there, so assuming Riverdale - Wave Hill is the station for the entire community, those are the issues that have to be addressed. Because of Riverdale's location, lack of subway and suburban layout, it has more in common with Westchester in terms of usage.

It's like parts of Staten Island that have more in common with suburban New Jersey.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 09 January 2017 - 07:59 AM.

BxM18-RIVERDALE_zps0a9279a4.gif

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

#12 DaTransitMan4608

DaTransitMan4608
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,573 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

As for ridership growth, the Hudson Line has seen tremendous growth.  When I first moved to Riverdale, the (MTA) began an aggressive marketing campaign at bus shelters, noting the convenience and quickness of Metro-North, and to some extent it kind of led me to use it more to the point to where I alternate between the express bus and the commuter train.  I think the Amtrak situation can be worked out just fine, and while MNRR does have a limited amount of fleet, there are more new cars due for the Hudson Line soon to replace the older fleet, so that should help.

Thanks, hopefully when it comes time to buy new push-pull cars, they'll look into getting Multilevels and spec the interiors similar to the M8s with the outlets (something NJT should've done, but then again phones weren't as important at the time they ordered theirs). 

Another question for you, do you think any Riverdale residents would utilize Empire Service trains if they were to stop there? I don't mean as in of droves of people going downtown, but say you have that one commuter that travels to Poughkeepsie or maybe even Albany for work and would be willing to spend the extra money for a one-seat ride there. 

I'm either gonna meet my future wife at school, at work, or while I'm fanning. That last one is gonna be a little tough to explain. 

#13 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,700 posts
    • LocationRiverdale/ Prospect Hts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

How do you even connect Spuyten Duyvil Station if it's not even on the Amtrak mainline? Relocating the station? Maybe I'm missing something.

%20http://scaped.net/r160-649.png

#14 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,089 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, hopefully when it comes time to buy new push-pull cars, they'll look into getting Multilevels and spec the interiors similar to the M8s with the outlets (something NJT should've done, but then again phones weren't as important at the time they ordered theirs). 

Another question for you, do you think any Riverdale residents would utilize Empire Service trains if they were to stop there? I don't mean as in of droves of people going downtown, but say you have that one commuter that travels to Poughkeepsie or maybe even Albany for work and would be willing to spend the extra money for a one-seat ride there. 

Well I can't say it isn't possible.  There are a few reverse commuters that get on at the Spuyten Duyvil station, but certainly not that many of them.  Riverdale is a bedroom community, and as such, the focus really is on travel to and from Manhattan.  If we were talking about the Fordham station or even stations in the Bronx on the Hudson line like Morris Heights, University Heights or Yankees-East 153rd street, maybe it would be possible, but I don't those passengers could afford such a high ticket price.  I think a lot of those people pay the intermediate fare ($3.00) from the Bronx to say Yonkers, which is just a little more than the cost of a subway ride.  

How do you even connect Spuyten Duyvil Station if it's not even on the Amtrak mainline? Relocating the station? Maybe I'm missing something.

I have no idea why you're talking about that when that was already discussed.  What we're talking about now is the logistics of using just the Riverdale station to accommodate ALL commuters that live in Riverdale, and since most of the MNRR ridership in Riverdale comes from the Spuyten Duyvil station, you can't just ignore those riders.  They have to be accommodated.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 09 January 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#15 GojiMet86

GojiMet86
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8,779 posts
    • LocationAstoria, Queens

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Amtrak_Mainline_Spuyten-Duyvil%20Bitmap_

You can subscribe to my Youtube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/GojiMet86 and check my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/47904859@N08/.

#16 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Well I can't say it isn't possible.  There are a few reverse commuters that get on at the Spuyten Duyvil station, but certainly not that many of them.  Riverdale is a bedroom community, and as such, the focus really is on travel to and from Manhattan.  If we were talking about the Fordham station or even stations in the Bronx on the Hudson line like Morris Heights, University Heights or Yankees-East 153rd street, maybe it would be possible, but I don't those passengers could afford such a high ticket price.  I think a lot of those people pay the intermediate fare ($3.00) from the Bronx to say Yonkers, which is just a little more than the cost of a subway ride.  

I have no idea why you're talking about that when that was already discussed.  What we're talking about now is the logistics of using just the Riverdale station to accommodate ALL commuters that live in Riverdale, and since most of the MNRR ridership in Riverdale comes from the Spuyten Duyvil station, you can't just ignore those riders.  They have to be accommodated.  

Missed the comments on that. Which is why ended with maybe I'm missing something. Since where talking about logistics my favorite topic I may add. What's the boat traffic? Circle line etc. The current bridge has to open for a canoe what's the talk about a new Bridge and some clearance. Pardon me again if this was also already discussed working on my form etiquette right along with my spelling and grammar. 20 years of dependence on Mircosoft word will do you in. 

Amtrak_Mainline_Spuyten-Duyvil%20Bitmap_

Umm that could work.

#17 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,089 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Missed the comments on that. Which is why ended with maybe I'm missing something. Since where talking about logistics my favorite topic I may add. What's the boat traffic? Circle line etc. The current bridge has to open for a canoe what's the talk about a new Bridge and some clearance. Pardon me again if this was also already discussed working on my form etiquette right along with my spelling and grammar. 20 years of dependence on Mircosoft word will do you in. 

Umm that could work.

There is some boat traffic, but nothing egregious.  There was a Circle Line boat passing through while I waited for the train the other day and the bridge just swung open, the boat passed through and everything continued as normal. An Amtrak train had just passed through, so I don't think that will be a big deal.  We aren't talking about a large amount of trains traveling on the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge anyway.  

#18 bobtehpanda

bobtehpanda
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,315 posts
    • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

The main issue right now is that this can't happen until East Side Access or Gateway open up and free up platform capacity at Penn. So we're talking the mid-2020s at the earliest.

#19 RailRunRob

RailRunRob
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

There is some boat traffic, but nothing egregious.  There was a Circle Line boat passing through while I waited for the train the other day and the bridge just swung open, the boat passed through and everything continued as normal. An Amtrak train had just passed through, so I don't think that will be a big deal.  We aren't talking about a large amount of trains traveling on the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge anyway.  

Right for Amtrak but now where talking Amtrak and Metro North? How many trains are we talking per hour with this added service? You'd have to build a second track at least. Are you talking EMU service? Is that a 3rd rail extension down the west side. This seems it could be a bit much for just a few people. The NEC is a different animal the main infrastructure is in place already.

The main issue right now is that this can't happen until East Side Access or Gateway open up and free up platform capacity at Penn. So we're talking the mid-2020s at the earliest.

2020 is 3 years away is time to at least ask the questions.

Edited by RailRunRob, 09 January 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#20 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,089 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Right for Amtrak but now where talking Amtrak and Metro North? How many trains are we talking per hour with this added service? You'd have to build a second track at least. Are you talking EMU service? Is that a 3rd rail extension down the west side. This seems it could be a bit much for just a few people. The NEC is a different animal the main infrastructure is in place already.

2020 is 3 years away is time to at least ask the questions.

I think it's too soon to figure all of that out.  You have to first figure out the logistics with the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations and if you can accommodate the passengers for the service.