Maybe the V should operate via the 63rd Street Line.

hoodciti

Well, for one, the (Q) won't be an all local, it will be a Brighton Local/Broadway Express/Queens Boulevard Local.

But these are just suggestions. I proposed for two express services on 53rd Street again because during rush hours there is only one express (the (E)) and two locals (the (R) and (V)).

During evenings though (when G.O.'s aren't in effect), the (G), (R) and (V) are all operating at once, from 9 p.m. to midnight. But the line can handle the three services at this time because demand isn't so high. But there is only ONE express at Queens Boulevard during the weekdays, which does pose a problem because people would want to cram on the (E), creating a bottleneck at Queens Plaza.

Before 2001, the Sixth Avenue Line handled three expresses (the (B), (D) and (Q)) and one local, the (F). From 2001-2004, the Broadway Line had three expresses (the (Q), <Q> and (W)) and two locals, the (N) and the (R). Still think Queens Boulevard cannot handle three expresses? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I'll lean towards yes for the examples I've given.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But dosent the (R) come from south Brooklyn?. Secondly, there are a few lines that have it worse. If the (Q) were to run local all the way to 179th, the amount of stops would be about 15-20 stops less then the longest normal and/or G.O created locals.

Yes, but the (R) is also one of the important locals on Queens Blvd, the capacity there is quite full. Secondly (F) trains express in Queens terminate at 179th St, it can't handle that many trips, with the "proposed" (E) service ending there also.

I am new to this board, so I have not read previous threads on this subject.

I agree that the overcrowding at 53rd and Lex is a valid reason for rerouting the F on 63rd, but I believe the original reason for this was political....the MTA wanted to show a "success" of this then new 63rd street line by showing strong ridership. If the new route was run by the new V train, the low ensuing ridership would make a joke of the money spent for a "white elephant".

Too bad the original plans weren't to run the new tunnels parallel to the original 53rd street with a new, larger, spacious 53rd and Lex station with its direct No. 6 connection. This would have allowed a full four track line from Sixth Avenue into Queens.

I'm curious about the 63rd street extension into the 7th and 57th station. I have been on detoured train on this route once or twice, and wonder if there was ever a train planned to use it? Seems like an expensive alternate route for 'R' Train? that is rarely used.

I'm curious about the 63rd street extension into the 7th and 57th station. I have been on detoured train on this route once or twice, and wonder if there was ever a train planned to use it? Seems like an expensive alternate route that is rarely used.

Well the (Q) will be expanded to East Side-96th Street once Phase one of the 2nd Avenue Subway will be completed, so it will go from Midtown 57th Street-7th Avenue, then to Lexington Avenue-63rd Street, 72nd Street, 86th Street and 96th Street!

I am new to this board, so I have not read previous threads on this subject.

I agree that the overcrowding at 53rd and Lex is a valid reason for rerouting the F on 63rd, but I believe the original reason for this was political....the MTA wanted to show a "success" of this then new 63rd street line by showing strong ridership. If the new route was run by the new V train, the low ensuing ridership would make a joke of the money spent for a "white elephant".

Too bad the original plans weren't to run the new tunnels parallel to the original 53rd street with a new, larger, spacious 53rd and Lex station with its direct No. 6 connection. This would have allowed a full four track line from Sixth Avenue into Queens.

I'm curious about the 63rd street extension into the 7th and 57th station. I have been on detoured train on this route once or twice, and wonder if there was ever a train planned to use it? Seems like an expensive alternate route that is rarely used.

For the Bold text, that part of the line will be used for the (Q) for the Second Avenue Subway, which will stop at 63rd and Lex(With connection to the (F)|Free Transfer with metrocard(4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W)|Bus), then head up on the SAS to 96(Future to 125th-Harlem in later phase). Of course the (T) will be the SAS but thats like 10-15 years from now, when we get the phases going. So far to 96th is being donem which wont be done til 2015 to 2017 around there..

And yeah i use to ride the BMT 63rd st tunnel. Mainly when the (R) got rerouted cuz of a general order detour on the 60th st tunnel.

Well the (Q) will be expanded to East Side-96th Street once Phase one of the 2nd Avenue Subway will be completed, so it will go from Midtown 57th Street-7th Avenue, then to Lexington Avenue-63rd Street, 72nd Street, 86th Street and 96th Street!

Oh, I wasn't aware of that...now it makes more sense!

To address the original suggestion, there's no need to send the (V) via 63rd Street.

The (V) was created to give passengers from Queens Boulevard local stations access to 53rd Street stations previously only accessible from express (E) and (F) trains. Sending the (E) and (V) through 53rd Street provides access to passengers from as many Queens Boulevard stations as possible.

Sending the (V) via 63rd Street and running the (F) via 53rd defeats the original purpose of the reconfiguration. (F) trains would be much more crowded and (V) trains would run empty.

Well If it works it works. I used the (E)(F) and (R) before the 63rd st. connection was completed. I realize the (V) does fill the gap that (F) left behind when it was re-routed. I definitely think the (Q) shouldn't run to Queens especially if its slated to run under 2nd Ave.

Does that also mean that 2nd avenue trains could go down F line to Sixth Ave? That would give them a lot of flexibility!

Yes 6th Ave trains will have access to the 2nd Avenue line via 63rd Street.

Guest Charles
The (F) via 63rd sucks. There's no transfer to the Lex, meaning no East Side Access

There is a connection at 63 St to the Lex Av/59 St station. People are just too damn lazy to walk!

if i had my wish i would eliminate the (V) have the (Q) run express via brighton bch bway exp via 63rd st to jamaica center have the (F) run 6av/culver lcl and queens blvd exp via 53rd st to 179st have the (E) run queens blvd/8av lcl to continental and have the (R) remain the same and close the 57/6ave station because you have the 57/7 ave station on the bway line right there and the 59st and 5av there too and late night cut the (Q) back to 57st and have the (E) go to jamaica center

if i had my wish i would eliminate the (V) have the (Q) run express via brighton bch bway exp via 63rd st to jamaica center have the (F) run 6av/culver lcl and queens blvd exp via 53rd st to 179st have the (E) run queens blvd/8av lcl to continental and have the (R) remain the same and close the 57/6ave station because you have the 57/7 ave station on the bway line right there and the 59st and 5av there too and late night cut the (Q) back to 57st and have the (E) go to jamaica center

WTH? I'm sorry but I didn't understand a word of this.

have the (Q) run express from coney island to jamaica center via 63rd st and bway

have the (F)run local in manhattan and brooklyn and express in queens via 53rd st and 6av to 179st have the (E) run local from world trade center to continental via 53st and 8av have the (R) remain the same eliminate the (V) and have the (E) run late nights to jamaica center and cut the (Q) back to 57st at night

have the (Q) run express from coney island to jamaica center via 63rd st and bway

have the (F)run local in manhattan and brooklyn and express in queens via 53rd st and 6av to 179st have the (E) run local from world trade center to continental via 53st and 8av have the (R) remain the same eliminate the (V) and have the (E) run late nights to jamaica center and cut the (Q) back to 57st at night

1. Jamaica Center can't even handle (E) trains by itself during rush hour. What makes you think it can handle the (Q) train?

2. The (F) is NOT going back to 53rd Street. So don't anyone dare mention that because riders will go berserk!

3. Only one express? NO!

4. And how will 53rd Street riders react to no Queens Local?

5. The (E) can't handle Jamaica Center by itself. What makes you think the (Q) would?

number most 53rd st riders want the express and the in my plan the (E) is local and with the (Q) the extra (Q) trains will go to 179st like they do with the (E) now aznd read my plan the (Q) and (F) are express on queens blvd and the (Q) could handle jamaica center because they have an express in three boroughs and now the (Q) and (E) run the same amount of trains now 26 train sets

Can someone please explain to me why so many people want the (F) to go back to 53rd street? What is wrong with 63rd street anyway? I personally know 20+ people (they go to my school) who benefit from the (F) via 63rd street. They live in Forest hills and my school is on 60th street and West End Ave. in Manhattan. They take the (F) to 57th street/6th Ave and then take the M57 which stops right in front of my school. This allows people in Queens to get express service above 53rd street. Also vice versa, people above 53rd street have easy access to Queens blvd express service. If the (V) were to run via 63rd street both expresses would be at 53rd street. That doesn't seem very convenient. Two expresses at 53rd street and one local at 63rd street (or above 53rd)? Why not make it fair and have one express per river tunnel.

All of you people who want the (F) to run via 53rd street are selfish, you just want it for nostalgia. You don't care about the people who actually benefit from (F) via 63rd street.

the (F) is a waste going down 63rd st thats is why the (E) is overcrowded running the (F) down 63rd st has destroyed the route because there isnt a in station connection to the irt lines and there isnt a stop on 5th ave and the most who use the 63rd st station are from roosevelt island and the f going down 63rd st really doesnt help its jamiaca riders who jump off at union tpke for the (E) going down 53rd st

the (F) is a waste going down 63rd st thats is why the (E) is overcrowded running the (F) down 63rd st has destroyed the route because there isnt a in station connection to the irt lines and there isnt a stop on 5th ave and the most who use the 63rd st station are from roosevelt island and the f going down 63rd st really doesnt help its jamiaca riders who jump off at union tpke for the (E) going down 53rd st

Did you not read my post? How is it a waste??

And you still have the connection the IRT. It's a free transfer with your Metrocard. Just walk 3 damn blocks.

sir if u read my plan the (Q) would run down 63rd st and if my memory serves me right teh (Q) served 63rd st just fine from 1988-2001 and there werent any complaints besides the majority of the (F) ridership in queens does come from queensbridge and roosevelt island it comes from its jamaica and forest hills riders who need 53rd st

The 57th street station of the (F) served 4,559,484 people last year. The Lexington Ave/63rd street station served 3,951,573 people last year. The Roosevelt Island station served 1,929,468 people last year. All together that is 10,440,525 people served by the (F) via 63rd street. If the (V) ran via 63rd street it would be a lot less because it runs local. The fact is, many people benefit from the (F) via 63rd street, and you foamers don't care.

Source

Archived