What should I expect as a new Conductor (NYCT)?

puertorocks

You should expect to travel the system while in school car to learn all of the lines. They will show you everything you need to know just pay attention. School car some of the best days of you career, you make good friends, learn the job under a stress free environment.

Good Luck.

Congrats on becoming a c/r for the mta. What to expect, well I have been a c/r for about 18 months, and what I can tell you, is enjoy school car, because you will form a bond with those fellow c/r. When I see a class mate of mine I am always happy to see them, and we compare notes on how the crew office is treating us. For the first six months it's fun, because you are learning the system, and you hit the extra board too much. After six months the job can become a drag, because you don't have a regular job, and the crew office, which you will learn to call the screw office, love to send you the the furthest part of the system for you to sit on board for 5 hrs, and then want you to take a full job. Most new c/rs I talk to love the job, good pay good benefits. They hate the crew office, because when you are on board alot it's hard to plan anything, or have a personal life, because you never know when you are going to work or coming home. If you need money you can make it on board, Hopefully this pick I will be able to pick a job.

good luck

Thanks for all the replies. After training do you get a set schedule to come in? I know you could finish at any time but do you get a schedule for your starting time for example mon-wed 12pm-finish and sat-sun 2pm- finish? What does sitting on board mean? Sorry guys I am brand new to this lol.

After probation does your pay increase?

Thanks for all the replies. After training do you get a set schedule to come in? I know you could finish at any time but do you get a schedule for your starting time for example mon-wed 12pm-finish and sat-sun 2pm- finish? What does sitting on board mean? Sorry guys I am brand new to this lol.

You will not any sort of set schedule for at least 2 years as a C/R. You will start and finish at different times and at different locations all over the system every day.

It takes 3 years to reach top pay as a C/R it will increase in steps don't remember them exactly.

Being on the board means they will assign you a work location and time to report for a day but not assign you a job. You are there waiting in case they need a C/R anywhere in the system for various reasons like someone books sick, gets called for a random, ect. You may just sit there for 8 hours and go home or it may turn out ot be a 16 hour day the most allowed by federal law for operating employees. They will try there hardest not to let you pass 14 hours though.

Oh okay thanks, I understand alot better now. So how long is school car?

Your class will start on 7/27 and you will be available to the Crew Office on the 18 or 19 of September (the date is sitting on my desk at work). Your whole class (10 people) will all be going to the B Division and, with the exception of the first week (and a couple of random days), your training will be on the PMs (1500 - 2300, M - F).

After training do you get a set schedule to come in?

Set schedule? As you've probably deciphered by now, it will be the exact opposite. However, your assigned shift must follow these guidelines:

Midnight shift: start anytime between 10 pm and 3:59 am (some General Order jobs can start as early as 9 pm).

AM: between 4 am and 11:59 am

PM: between 12 pm and 9:59 pm.

IIRC, you will be paid at minimum wage for the first week of school car then paid at training wage for the rest of the schooling. On the first day of road service, you'll get another raise to be followed by yearly raises until you complete three years of service when you reach top wage of (currently) $24.99 per hour.

IIRC, you will be paid at minimum wage for the first week of school car then paid at training wage for the rest of the schooling. On the first day of road service, you'll get another raise to be followed by yearly raises until you complete three years of service when you reach top wage of (currently) $24.99 per hour.

First week currently pays the same as the rest of the first year - whatever that might be.

First week currently pays the same as the rest of the first year - whatever that might be.

So far 1st year is $17.50 start of 2nd year is $18.75 I wish i knew how they went with the raises. 70% of top pay is 17.50 but to only go up 5% IN 1 year to 18.75 kinda low. I thought it was 70>80>90>100 i guess it was wrong.If anyone know it would be helpful

Night diff is paid from 1800 to 0559 during the week and 1800 Friday continuous to 0559 Monday (the entire weekend).

Most likely you'll end up on the PMs or Midnights, but some people are lucky - in the 9 months I was Extra as a C/R and the 10 months I was Extra as a T/O, I spent two weeks on the PMs and none on the midnights.

Night diff is paid from 1800 to 0559 during the week and 1800 Friday continuous to 0559 Monday (the entire weekend).

Most likely you'll end up on the PMs or Midnights, but some people are lucky - in the 9 months I was Extra as a C/R and the 10 months I was Extra as a T/O, I spent two weeks on the PMs and none on the midnights.

So you went from T/O to TSS?

Should I expect to get the overnight shift because I'm a new jack? Is there night differential?

When School car is over they'll ask you to put down your tour and possible days off you may get what you want just dont bet on it. I ask for midnights its a easy way to get off your promotion being on mids bc of eaasier work due to the G.O. ( you'll learn about them those are the General Orders that work is being done on tracks. You know when you see those notices on the weekends about service changes those are pretty much the G.O. It doesnt explain what track is being worked on to the public but you'll know.

I.E. Trains going Southbound on the (6) are going express from parkchester to 3av-138st for the entire weekend untill 5am Monday

How many vacation days do C/R'S start out with?[/quote

At the end of december going into January you get 2 weeks. I got 0 weeks bc I started the last week of January and I had to wait a whole year to get 2 weeks. Someone told me after 3 years you get 4 weeks vacation. When I picked vacation only months open were Jan-1st week of April.

You can take a week in days and use them later to try to get days off in the summer. I just worked 1 day this week for a vaction im taking by putting 4 ava's in a row. You get AVA's by working on holiday's and saving them ( you can only get a maximum of 6) I just used 4 AVA's this week and my 2 Rdo's so I only had to work 1 days this week. In order to save a AVA (holidy) You must call 20 days in advance before that holiday to get the AVA and 2 request the day you want off you have to call 20 days in advance also.

Yup. The only way to get to TSS is to do at least 2 years as a T/O.

Wow, only 2 years? What is the promo test for TSS like and what else does the TA take into account when a T/O goes to be promoted?

So as a TSS what are your hours like? Is there more leverage in the schedule compared to T/O? Lost of overtime?

It depends on what kind of a job you end up with. Most Road TSSs work one of three tours - 0600 to 1400, 1400 to 2200 or 2200 to 0600 with OT as needed. OT for the road consists mostly of dealing with problems that occur near the end of a tour, like taking someone for incident testing, dealing with 12-9s, stalled trains, switch and signal problems, etc. As a TSS, it is quite a bit easier to get days off than T/Os and C/Rs.

Some TSSs end up in office jobs or other specialized positions and tend to work mostly AM tours. Personally, I work for School Car in an office (and occasionally as a substitute Instructor), running Inductions for new C/R and T/Os, rewriting manuals, scheduling C/R classes, answering questions from the field, etc.

Wow, only 2 years? What is the promo test for TSS like and what else does the TA take into account when a T/O goes to be promoted?

2 years is the minimum - very few people with two years actually pass the test. Even passing doesn't necessarily mean you'll be called. Usually only the top 100 - 150 or so ever get called. Aside from the test scores, Transit also looks at your disciplinary record and your sick record.

Aside from the test scores, Transit also looks at your disciplinary record and your sick record.

Your sick record is more important to the TA than your disciplinary record and safety record. They want you to never use any of YOUR sick days.

Your sick record is more important to the TA than your disciplinary record and safety record. They want you to never use any of YOUR sick days.

In that case, if possible would it be better to use vacation days if you are sick or just suck it up unless you are basicly dead?

Archived