Strip maps on R62s?

LandoftheLost

How did they make those LED thingies on the (7)<7> work?

Well to begin with, those signs were needed to differentiate between locals and expresses. Many riders were used to the Redbird style with a light indicating local (green) and express (red), so when the R62As came over, there was hardly any chance to tell what was local and what was express. The trains could be missigned, a train that reads "express" turns out to be the local. And many passengers couldn't hear the announcements. So it was more of a necessity. However strip maps, that's a different story. There's no need for strip maps on the R62. Like rmcconnell said, there are maps already on the R62s.

Well to begin with, those signs were needed to differentiate between locals and expresses. Many riders were used to the Redbird style with a light indicating local (green) and express (red), so when the R62As came over, there was hardly any chance to tell what was local and what was express. The trains could be missigned, a train that reads "express" turns out to be the local. And many passengers couldn't hear the announcements. So it was more of a necessity. However strip maps, that's a different story. There's no need for strip maps on the R62. Like rmcconnell said, there are maps already on the R62s.

I didnt mean it that way, what I meant was is there a button in the cab or something that switches it from green (7) to red <7> on all the trains in the set, and if so it must mean they had to do some sort of wiring to get it to work, obviously not as extensive as getting an LED display put in the ceiling.

Exactly what it says. If you read subchat and you observe the posts those two posters make, you will understand the remark

Okay.. landofthelost makes similar posts to a guy named Chipper10 on subchat.. gotcha

I'm registered at Subchat, read it occasioanly but I only posted maybe 3 times. The only users who I remember are Terrapin Station and Broadway Lion.

$5 says they're the same person

and as for the 7 LEDs, there was a variable power control switch in the cab labled express and local (I was told by someone else what it did, but I don't remember what they said). it had been deactivated, and when the LED signs were put it, the switch was rewired to control them.

That exp/lcl switch was the formerly the ENRCON switch, which activated or deactivated high speed field shunting on the cars back when it was still in use. In EXP mode, high speed field shunting was enabled allowing the train to move faster (this was explained a couple of times in old posts, I really don't feel like explaining it again...it's long and fairly complicated, but...ahem..."it makes the train go faster"). In LCL mode high speed field shunting was disabled. Today high speed field shunting is not used on any NYCT equipment, so that switch had no use. So it's now hooked up to the EXP/LCL sign. Clever use of it if I say so myself. The LED seems to work at differentiating expresses and locals to all but the densest of customers.

That exp/lcl switch was the formerly the ENRCON switch, which activated or deactivated high speed field shunting on the cars back when it was still in use. In EXP mode, high speed field shunting was enabled allowing the train to move faster (this was explained a couple of times in old posts, I really don't feel like explaining it again...it's long and fairly complicated, but...ahem..."it makes the train go faster"). In LCL mode high speed field shunting was disabled. Today high speed field shunting is not used on any NYCT equipment, so that switch had no use. So it's now hooked up to the EXP/LCL sign. Clever use of it if I say so myself. The LED seems to work at differentiating expresses and locals to all but the densest of customers.

Um, what is high speed field shunting?

Archived