Jobless NYC Woman Sues College For $70K In Tuition

FlushingExpress

Jobless NYC Woman Sues College For $70K In Tuition (from http://www.wcbstv.com)

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (CBS)-A New York City woman who says she can't find a job is suing the college where she earned a bachelor's degree.

Trina Thompson filed a lawsuit last week against Monroe College in Bronx Supreme Court. The 27-year-old is seeking the $70,000 she spent on tuition.

Thompson says she's been unable to find gainful employment since she received her information technology degree in April.

She says the Bronx school's Office of Career Advancement hasn't provided her with the leads and career advice it promises.

Monroe College spokesman Gary Axelbank says Thompson's lawsuit is completely without merit.

The college insists it helps its graduates find jobs. According to the school's career services Web site, students will be provided with career guidance and help with interviews, resume writing and other skills. "We have many resources available for students at any stage of their college career, and even after graduation," the site says.

I find this idiotic. just because you got a bacherlor's degree does not guarentee you will get a job right away and counseling advice does not work for everyone. I hope she loses. what is your opinion on this?

Wll im neutral of course. Who knos who can be telling the truth.

This woman can also use the damn internet for job seeking. I bet she just wants money so she wouldn't work, like that ill last....

I'm sorry but I would have to side with the lady, especially depending on how Monroe college is promoting this: "The college insists it helps its graduates find jobs. According to the school's career services Web site, students will be provided with career guidance and help with interviews, resume writing and other skills. "We have many resources available for students at any stage of their college career, and even after graduation," the site says." Which might come off as sorta guaranteeing them getting someone a job.

Julio is right, in these days jobless people are desperate for a job and would seek access to it in any way possible, including colleges. If an institution appeals to them in a way that it advertises the jobless' needs, the jobless are bound to go for them. You can't blame the jobless for falling into a trap. It's Monroe College's fault since it did not provide the services it has promised to offer to the woman.

But then again, people are suing other people for trivial things. Such as having a dog the size of a whale in the subway or something.

How the hell is job placement going to help when there aren't any jobs. Someone needs the drill that into her thick skull. Maybe a judge will.

Unless, the school didn't help her at all then I understand her arguement.

Well she's saying they haven't helped. "She says the Bronx school's Office of Career Advancement hasn't provided her with the leads and career advice it promises. "

How the hell is job placement going to help when there aren't any jobs. Someone needs the drill that into her thick skull. Maybe a judge will.

Unless, the school didn't help her at all then I understand her arguement.

Dumb question guys? Is Monroe College even accredited? I ask this since i know some business schools & 'fly by night so called colleges' in recent years that gurantee a job after graduating and go out of business.

With that said, unless Monroe is not accredidted or does not have a job counselor or refused to help her for any reason, this is another dumb lawsuit.

Still if Monroe has a job placement counselor, its the repsonbility of the student to go to his/her office. unless she been on another planet, we are living in worst global recession in many years and jobs are much diffcult to find.:(

Dumb question guys? Is Monroe College even accredited? I ask this since i know some business schools & 'fly by night so called colleges' in recent years that gurantee a job after graduating and go out of business.

With that said, unless Monroe is not accredidted or does not have a job counselor or refused to help her for any reason, this is another dumb lawsuit.

Still if Monroe has a job placement counselor, its the repsonbility of the student to go to his/her office. unless she been on another planet, we are living in worst global recession in many years and jobs are much diffcult to find.:(

They aren't a "fly by night" college. Haven't you seen their ads on the R62s on the sides?

They aren't a "fly by night" college. Haven't you seen their ads on the R62s on the sides?

There something like 400 colleges/universities in the United States, and hard to know all of them my friend so that why i asked. And yes i seen the Monroe ads on the subways before.

I also seen ads for bogus "bootleg" business schools/college on the subways/buses as well over the years when i still lived in Brooklyn that long out of business. That why i asked about Monroe.:confused:

College is an overrated experience, I learned a trade when I was in High School and was passively forced to go to college just to boost my credentials for the local union I'm in. I got more out of the trade I learned than the soft, critical thinking classes I attended for 2 1/2 years for a degree that is not even worth the paper it is printed on. The point is, if you want a better chance at a job, then learn a trade.

College is an overrated experience, I learned a trade when I was in High School and was passively forced to go to college just to boost my credentials for the local union I'm in. I got more out of the trade I learned than the soft, critical thinking classes I attended for 2 1/2 years for a degree that is not even worth the paper it is printed on. The point is, if you want a better chance at a job, then learn a trade.

To point you right that college is overrated. You can make alot of $$$ as a carpertner, mechanic computer developer, nursing and other specialized trade jobs than i am currently making as a Sub Teacher/Montior. I am seriously considering shifting to getting a paralegal license myself since teachers are being laid off.

Too bad our popular culture in America especially tv shows only shows 'sexy' and cool jobs as being a Lawyear or Doctor. Yet there sevre shortages in nursing/the health care field for instance in which people from outside the US have to fill these jobs.

On other hand To say college is a waste of time is also out of line. Biggest problem is that counselors in high school and colleges/business schools need to do better job in encouraging our young adults to find carrers that matches their educational levels and also if possible they enjoy it as well.

My Point is students/young adults in high schools and colleges need to be exposed to carrers in fields not known to the public that need to be filled.

While this lawsuit by a former Monroe College student is bit much, in all due respect there are many colleges/universities only think of students as $$$ signs as well and care little once that student leaves.:(

To point you right that college is overrated. You can make alot of $$$ as a carpertner, mechanic computer developer, nursing and other specialized trade jobs than i am currently making as a Sub Teacher/Montior. I am seriously considering shifting to getting a paralegal license myself since teachers are being laid off.

Too bad our popular culture in America especially tv shows only shows 'sexy' and cool jobs as being a Lawyear or Doctor. Yet there sevre shortages in nursing/the health care field for instance in which people from outside the US have to fill these jobs.

On other hand To say college is a waste of time is also out of line. Biggest problem is that counselors in high school and colleges/business schools need to do better job in encouraging our young adults to find carrers that matches their educational levels and also if possible they enjoy it as well.

My Point is students/young adults in high schools and colleges need to be exposed to carrers in fields not known to the public that need to be filled.

While this lawsuit by a former Monroe College student is bit much, in all due respect there are many colleges/universities only think of students as $$$ signs as well and care little once that student leaves.:(

agreed 100%

IAWTP. You hit the nail on the coffin!

I hope they counter sure this DBag and the DBag lawyer who took the case. As Harry said, they can't help you get a job if there are no jobs. Also she did say that she could not find any gainful employment, not that she could not get a job at all. if he was able to get a job sweeping a park, take it dumba**, it might put some food on the table.

I dont want to hear that there are NO JOBS out there, there are plenty of IT jobs around, I am a contractor and self employed and recruiters are still calling me all of the time trying to fill positions. This college she went to is probably like most trade schools and other places that have all of these empty promises of job placement with companies they have aggreements with or how they will get you in the door at other places when they just want to take your money. I remember when shopping around at Trade schools and colleges when I was younger and all these people are just salesmen trying to get your tuition monye. They will tell you anything to enroll. I remember I went with my cousin to AIT which is a total scam school and he wasted so much money in tuition and all they did after he graduated was get him 1 internship where all he did was cleam up the place, take out the garbage and go get coffee. This woman is probably on point and should get something albeit not $70k.

Yup, there are plenty of jobs. Just gotta know where to look and use any hook to get in. Sending a resume to HR, or applying online, just doesn't cut it anymore.

Hey if anyone's a sucker for punishment they can go be a public accountant! Certification not required! Get your degree, get decent grades and you're IN.

Never said you'd be happy...

It's the only job that STILL has almost 10% turnover during a recession...

There's a reason why...But there always hiring...

Truly "Blood money" if you ask me which is why I'm gone the day (M)(T)(A) gives me "the call"

But don't say there aren't any jobs out there ;):( there are plenty just keep looking

There are jobs out there, less than there were a few years ago in some industries but you can still get one if you have some talent. This woman probably has none and she's a lazy f**ker....a degree just isn't good enough anymore on it's own! I bet she isn't doing a thing to even find herself a job, she's relying totally on them.

Archived