Jamaica's Orion VII NG in Service

R32 3838

As I exited the (E) train this evening and went up the escalator at Jamaica Center I had this queasy feeling. I knew it was only a matter of time before I encountered a NG. As soon as I got to the top I saw a NG that said "Q85 Green Acres". I was in disbelief. Needless to say I didn't get a seat. I felt every pothole on Merrick Blvd. The Jamaica Depot was the last RTS bastion but the NG's have invaded.

Yeah, its nothing major but that last hump on the roof isn't there anymore and I think they also modified the doors a little.

As soon as I walked outside I saw an NG coming, so I thought I'd catch my first bus pic and it happened to be 4451 (again for the third time today lol) on the Q85.

4030153278_7ce84d5e62.jpg

I apologize for the quality, something told me to bring my camera but I didn't so I had to catch it with my BlackBerry, its a little hard to see the number but it can be made out.

No worries, the picture is fine and I can make out the number. It looks really good on those Queens streets! I can't wait to ride an NG from Jamaica after I come home from vacation.

As I exited the (E) train this evening and went up the escalator at Jamaica Center I had this queasy feeling. I knew it was only a matter of time before I encountered a NG. As soon as I got to the top I saw a NG that said "Q85 Green Acres". I was in disbelief. Needless to say I didn't get a seat. I felt every pothole on Merrick Blvd. The Jamaica Depot was the last RTS bastion but the NG's have invaded.

And you didn't move to the back because...

And you didn't wait for the next bus because...

Funny because on an RTS and O5, I feel potholes.

I almost got the chance to ride 4434 on the Q85 a few minutes ago, I waited about 15-20 minutes for a bus to come and when 4434 shows up its packed to the brim so I didn't want to get on. When it pulled off there was nobody standing in the back, I was mad because I waited a long time for a bus to come (and it was an NG too).

I really wonder why don't people move to the back instead of being crunched together, I mean what's so hard about going up 2 steps.

Luckily there was a good ole RTS that showed up a minute later with no AC. I still like the NGs more though lol.

I just want to add that I saw 4453 & 4454 this morning.

They do the same on RTS' and O5's. Try riding the Q17, 25 or 34 during rush hour. The back of the bus is always empty. Another problem is that people are to lazy to reach up to the horitzontal bars and have to hold on to the vertical bars. The last 3 times I rode on the NG, people were standing all the way to the back...and if they weren't I pushed them out of the way clearing a path.

As for the ride, I thing the NG's are a HUGE improvement over the RTS'.

They do the same on RTS' and O5's. Try riding the Q17, 25 or 34 during rush hour. The back of the bus is always empty. Another problem is that people are to lazy to reach up to the horitzontal bars and have to hold on to the vertical bars. The last 3 times I rode on the NG, people were standing all the way to the back...and if they weren't I pushed them out of the way clearing a path.

As for the ride, I thing the NG's are a HUGE improvement over the RTS'.

I know but the routes I take (Q85 & Q44) are too crowded to not stand in the back, the bus drivers will make people stand in the back by threatening to not go any further until people move to the back. There's so much space in the back of an NG though, I always go in the back because its not crowded.

You are absolutely right about about the NG being an improvement over the RTS, its a very smooth ride.

JAM now has 4453 & 4454. LGA now has 4491 & 4495.

As I was reading this something popped into my head. Since there is a chance that the 2010 NG delay was due to Orion having extra NG parts, and being that the delivery jumped from the 4450's to the 4480's, I now have a feeling that LGA and JAM may both get 2010 NGs towards the end of their current deliveries. I know this theory is far out there but I wanted to share it with everyone even though I highly doubt it would happen because of the #'s.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived