Has the (G) ever ventured into Manhattan?

duelingdragons

yes. this happened twice. when the (G) used to run 6-car R46 Sets to/from Forest Hills on Weekdays, ive seen 2 Queens-bound (G) trains run on the (F) line in manhattan due to signal problems at Fulton St. that was back in 2000. ever since, i never seen it again.

Just imagine if there was a track fire on the (G) and they had to re-route through manhattan via (F) line.That would add more travel time to the already frustrated:mad: (G) customer.

yup, then it'll have no choice to operate via 53 St (E)(V) lines to reach Queens Plaza, unless it runs all the way to Forest Hills and terminates.

yes. this happened twice. when the (G) used to run 6-car R46 Sets to/from Forest Hills on Weekdays, ive seen 2 Queens-bound (G) trains run on the (F) line in manhattan due to signal problems at Fulton St. that was back in 2000. ever since, i never seen it again.

If I'm guessing right, the (G) was sent via Jay Street, Sixth Avenue and 53rd Street to Queens Boulevard? That must've been something.

I do recall back in 1996 or 97 when i needed to go to Queens i took a (G) train at Smith-9 Streets,it was Rush Hour and some how something happened at Classon Avenue Station.The particular (G) train i was on was rerouted over the (F) line via 6th Avenue and back into Queens Blvd.You should have seen the looks on the peoples faces along the 6th Avenue stations as they was stunned to see the little orphaned (G) train running on Manhattan subway tracks,that was priceless lol :o

I do recall back in 1996 or 97 when i needed to go to Queens i took a (G) train at Smith-9 Streets,it was Rush Hour and some how something happened at Classon Avenue Station.The particular (G) train i was on was rerouted over the (F) line via 6th Avenue and back into Queens Blvd.You should have seen the looks on the peoples faces along the 6th Avenue stations as they was stunned to see the little orphaned (G) train running on Manhattan subway tracks,that was priceless lol :o

Wouldn`t be funny if that took place on april fools day.:)

I think the first train nearing an incident is usually rerouted if possible before suspension of service. Our (NJT) train was moved around an amtrak train before they suspended service in both directions for 45 minutes to allow train crews to change trains without entering station.

- A

I don't ever think the (G) will ever venture into Manhattan again (if it hasn't already done so) because the length of the consist is too short. If there is a problem that would force the (G) to short-turn (e.g. (G) trains can't go past Bedford-Nostrand Avenues), they may have to clash some (G) trains together and make them (F)s and have them turn at Forest Hills. That's the way I see it.

One night I was working the (F) on our last trip back to Manhattan we heard that someone was on the roadbed trying to touch the third rail, so they told the (G) in front of us to punch for the (F) at Bergen he got as far as Delancy/Essex and Control Center told him to discharge. People were not happy when i pulled into Bergen and told them no (G) service for about 40 mins till they got the psycho off the tracks.

One night I was working the (F) on our last trip back to Manhattan we heard that someone was on the roadbed trying to touch the third rail, so they told the (G) in front of us to punch for the (F) at Bergen he got as far as Delancy/Essex and Control Center told him to discharge. People were not happy when i pulled into Bergen and told them no (G) service for about 40 mins till they got the psycho off the tracks.

Wow, just...wow.

With the viaduct project going on there is a tower operator at Bedford Nostrand Ave. to turn trains in the event of a service disruption. But in case a train is already en-route from Church Ave. and the blockage is before Bedford Nostrand, because of the 4 cars they would probably discharge the train and run it light via the F line and turn it back at Continental to get it back to Court Sq. for it's next trip.

No G train is scheduled to go to Manhattan due to a GO. They would just suspend service and bring out the shuttle buses.

Archived