Will the (2)&(5) lines receive R62A's, & will the (7) Line Receive R142s &/or R142As?

r40s 4501

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cars can be overhauled at very little expense. Trust me, these cars costed more because all this technology involved to run trains costed more; with the demand for it so high now, especially with the advent of the R160 order, the technology is not as expensive anymore. And it's not just about railfan amusement, although railfans are just as important as regular passengers because railfans pay their fare just to ride the subway, and that's it. Why not create any appeal for them???

Not only does it require paying for parts and paying car inspectors and supervisors to do and oversee the work, but it also requires studying compatibility issues and implementing systems that work with what is there. That means paying engineers to design the best way to do it and reaching a consensus, and getting it approved. These things are not as simple as they might seem at first glance. Subway cars are actually quite complicated and there is a lot more to it than just simply swapping out parts. The city, the state, and the MTA are all crying bankrupt/deficits. Doing that when there are already enough cars to make service levels make less than zero sense.

The rarity of parts BS is something I'm not going to buy into at all because if the TA wanted to, they could sure as hell replace all the parts with R142/A parts instead. R10-42 parts were all capable of being shared with each other, right? W

Wrong, not all the parts for the R10 thru R42 were cross compatible. In fact, each car class has its own supply of parts. Yea some things like windows and light bulbs are interchangeable, not everything else is. Face it, these cars are not going to run again, there is no reason to rebuild them to run with the R142/As at all. If there was a car shortage, maybe but there is not. You may think the whole rarity of parts is BS, but you again are wrong.

The R130s can still make a comeback to revenue service. Remember when the Chambers Street signal fire was such a hassle because of rarity of parts? That problem was fixed. And didn't Kawasaki build the cars? What, don't tell me now that they can't just order parts from Kawasaki now....

The R130s can still make a comeback to revenue service. Remember when the Chambers Street signal fire was such a hassle because of rarity of parts? That problem was fixed. And didn't Kawasaki build the cars? What, don't tell me now that they can't just order parts from Kawasaki now....

You can't just order parts, the R130s are very out dated and don't you think that if they had spare parts the train would not have been taken out of service early?

You can't just order parts, the R130s are very out dated and don't you think that if they had spare parts the train would not have been taken out of service early?

The train was not taken out of service due to lack of parts. The train was taken out of service due to fire damage, and at the time, the TA decided not to do anything with the cars and just let them idle from yard to yard.

The train was not taken out of service due to lack of parts. The train was taken out of service due to fire damage, and at the time, the TA decided not to do anything with the cars and just let them idle from yard to yard.

Recent Status: The train was yanked from service in the spring of 1998 (made cover of NY Post) due to brake problems. A year later in 1999, it was rumored to be in some sort of fire, which sparked the TA to send it to the repair shop, for full repairs. In mid-June 1999, it returned to the 239th Street Yard. Rumor in September, 2000 was that the train would be repaired and returned to service after receiving parts from Kawasaki, but by 2003, nothing had been done to the train and it is unlikely this train will ever see revenue service again. It is currently located in Pitkin Yard. Taken from nycsubway.org

If they had the parts it would have gone back in service, it never went back in service because they did not have the parts. Done, end of story.

Recent Status: The train was yanked from service in the spring of 1998 (made cover of NY Post) due to brake problems. A year later in 1999, it was rumored to be in some sort of fire, which sparked the TA to send it to the repair shop, for full repairs. In mid-June 1999, it returned to the 239th Street Yard. Rumor in September, 2000 was that the train would be repaired and returned to service after receiving parts from Kawasaki, but by 2003, nothing had been done to the train and it is unlikely this train will ever see revenue service again. It is currently located in Pitkin Yard. Taken from nycsubway.org

If they had the parts it would have gone back in service, it never went back in service because they did not have the parts. Done, end of story.

They are no longer in Piktin, They went back to 239th and now are at Concourse..

All this parts talk is really starting to make my head turn into oblique directions. It is evident enough that the damage to the train overcasts a shadow on the parts problem. Why is it that older equipment still has their parts coming in, trains that are getting ready to retire in the next year or two, and a train that is barely 20 years old can't get parts? Kawasaki is not far from 207th at all, you know. The parts for the R130 can easily be supplied, and you know it.

All this parts talk is really starting to make my head turn into oblique directions. It is evident enough that the damage to the train overcasts a shadow on the parts problem. Why is it that older equipment still has their parts coming in, trains that are getting ready to retire in the next year or two, and a train that is barely 20 years old can't get parts? Kawasaki is not far from 207th at all, you know. The parts for the R130 can easily be supplied, and you know it.

screw it, there's only 10 cars B)

and 1 word... Prototype B)

That's really apples and oranges. I think they 'cannabalized' parts from another area to 'patch up' the problem at Chambers St. I dunno, if they got the job done or if it is still a patch, but there, they had similar parts to replace. I dunno about the R110As though.

Older equipment is not having so many parts coming in. What you're seeing is parts that are cannabalized from reefbirds which are serviceable staying around. Plus the shops already maintain those parts as it is...the crews are familiar with them, where every bolt is, how every gasket is cut, and how every part fits together, which is not true for the R110 parts. Spares are kept on hand and those are the parts that crews fix the vast majority of the time, and they are finished, and left as "ready" for the next car that needs a parts swap. That way the bad parts come off the car, the good ones immediately go on, the car stays in service, and the shops have time to work on the bad parts which are now spares.

I'll put it to you simple. A computer programming company uses Windows. Always has. They decide to try out a Mac. The Mac works alright for a short while, but in the end, the company decides to go with Linux. Everyone knows how to use Windows, but since they're going to Linux, everyone learns that. Everyone forgets about the Mac which just sits idle, and was a single test computer. Now 10 years later, is it a good idea to put that Mac back out there just because you can, when you have enough computers for all your employees and your business? When you don't have any spare hard drives that will fit into it? When your IT department has no idea how to fix it? When your personnel have to be trained/retrained on it just because there's a chance they may need to use it? The answer is probably not.

Can anybody closed this thread. is it enough that where will R188

which line will it be sent to. just closed this thread. this thread is going to far.

we wait until when when ever R188 exist and run into service

in 2013?

+1 :tup:

enough fun for now B)

Can anybody closed this thread. is it enough that where will R188

which line will it be sent to. just closed this thread. this thread is going to far.

we wait until when when ever R188 exist and run into service

in 2013?

oh brother here we go again.. The topic is fine nothings wrong.. As what im seeing. Plus you always reply to things and when people answer you you never say crap.. Sorry to say that but its true..

But idc if it gets locked or not.. It seems fine..

The man knows that he was just quoting nycsubway in full b/c it had the part in there about the parts shortage.

Yeah but others will think Piktin lol.. but ok

oh brother here we go again.. The topic is fine nothings wrong.. As what im seeing. Plus you always reply to things and when people answer you you never say crap.. Sorry to say that but its true..

i dont know...can't even understand what he wrote but whatever. I don't think it needs to be closed b/c there is no personal attacks just people explaining things and others giving their points of view.

i dont know...can't even understand what he wrote but whatever. I don't think it needs to be closed b/c there is no personal attacks just people explaining things and others giving their points of view.

Yup.. This guy sounds like the OP of the topic..

Let's get one thing settled here for the last time. The R110A and R110B trains were prototypes. There were no surplus parts fabricated for those cars because they were not intended for regular, long-term passenger service. They were only test trains ,unlike R142, R143 and later series of cars. You probably couldn't get Bombardier or Kawasaki to re-open a production line, or the subcontrators for that matter, for 10 cars . They'd tell you to take a hike. They don't have spare parts hanging around their warehouses taking up space for non-production equipment. The other misconception is that the earlier cars were interchangeble. The fact is that R62 cars are not interchangeble with R62A cars although they look similar. R26 cars were not mixed with R29 or R33 equipment for the same reason. Let's leave the R110s and R188s out of the discussion. Finally, there has been no talk of the (2) and (5) fleets going anywhere out here in the field.

i doubt the mta would trust running 62's with those movable platforms at 14th street. i kinda figured that's why the whole east side side uses 142's. that's my theory...

The R62s did run on the East Side with the gap fillers at 14th Street. One reason I heard as to why the Lex is all R142/s is because they don't have unused cabs aside from the cab at the rear of the train and the one opposite of the C/R position. Now before someone tried to say I am wrong, this is something I heard and it could be wrong.

Archived