Will the (2)&(5) lines receive R62A's, & will the (7) Line Receive R142s &/or R142As?

r40s 4501

The R62s did run on the East Side with the gap fillers at 14th Street. One reason I heard as to why the Lex is all R142/s is because they don't have unused cabs aside from the cab at the rear of the train and the one opposite of the C/R position. Now before someone tried to say I am wrong, this is something I heard and it could be wrong.

Yeah, I really doubt that has anything to do with why R62s don't run on the line anymore. I'm just saying, as a while slurry of cars ran on the East Side in the past.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I really doubt that has anything to do with why R62s don't run on the line anymore. I'm just saying, as a while slurry of cars ran on the East Side in the past.

What, the unused cabs on the R62s that take up seats?

The R62s did run on the East Side with the gap fillers at 14th Street. One reason I heard as to why the Lex is all R142/s is because they don't have unused cabs aside from the cab at the rear of the train and the one opposite of the C/R position. Now before someone tried to say I am wrong, this is something I heard and it could be wrong.

Exactly, R62s and R62As ran on the East side for years without problems. But I can see the problems about all the unused cabs taking up needed space to stand in the trains.

Exactly, R62s and R62As ran on the East side for years without problems. But I can see the problems about all the unused cabs taking up needed space to stand in the trains.

Yep, and before the R142/As there was no other choice.

Or perhaps the R142s were assigned to the lex line to appeal to the demographic of riders that use the line E.G wall street,middle class straphangers while of course moving R62s to other lines.Just my theory.

Or perhaps the R142s were assigned to the lex line to appeal to the demographic of riders that use the line E.G wall street,middle class straphangers while of course moving R62s to other lines.Just my theory.

That + Bloomberg is why the supplemental R-142A order went to the (4) (I've been over this debate before, and this really is the reason for that, I'd rather not go into it for a third or fourth time, there are other threads you can search at your leisure for it if you like).

As for why new techs run on the Lex, ops planning DID consider the unused cab space that was being "wasted" and it does matter. Not in terms of seating but in terms of the number of standees that can fit on a train. Regardless of how many seats there are on a particular train, the cabs take up standing room also. This allows an extra 10-20 people to board each train, which adds up when the trains are running headways as short as 3 mins. That can be over 100 additional passengers in an hour who can get on the first train that comes into the station instead of waiting for the next one and causing additional delays. I'm sure that's not the only reason but it did go into the decision process.

I've also wondered if the larger doorways on the R-142s, although sacrificing seat space, allow for an easier flow of passengers getting on and off on the Lex. Either way, I'm sure now that the yuppies are used to new trains, placing an R-62 on the (6) would cause grunts and probably leave a few on the platform making their passive aggressive comments and flipping the bird at the next train's motorman as I've seen few times there. I'm sure this is stuff that you're all too familiar with, Guy.

I've also wondered if the larger doorways on the R-142s, although sacrificing seat space, allow for an easier flow of passengers getting on and off on the Lex. Either way, I'm sure now that the yuppies are used to new trains, placing an R-62 on the (6) would cause grunts and probably leave a few on the platform making their passive aggressive comments and flipping the bird at the next train's motorman as I've seen few times there. I'm sure this is stuff that you're all too familiar with, Guy.

Very much so. They complain when they get a hot car. They complain when a single door motor on a car is cut out (one even walked into it :)). They complain when the doors take 5 seconds to open at Union Square (waiting for the gap fillers to extend). They complain about everything.

Years ago they would have been riding rustbirds to work and having a 5% chance of the train getting taken out of service and they would have LIKED IT. If the train got pulled, they'd all get off, whine and moan, but they'd GET ON THE NEXT TRAIN and DEAL.

Now they just cry to the nanny state and that pansy Bloomberg listens to them (not kidding as much as you might think I am), so no more SMEEs on the Lex. At times last year I felt like the only one who enjoyed the R62's on the (4). Took me back to my youth a little bit...

Jerome Yards R142A's + the R142A supplemental order were supposed on the (4) as it is, but!!! those R142 on the (4) were supposed to be on the (3). If R62A from the (7) are going to the IRT Broadway-7th Ave lines I couldnt see why it would go to the (2) since it share cars w/ the (5).

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/IRT2002-proj.htm

I don't understand where this came about. I mean granted I moved out of the area in 2005 and don't know how much more 'elitist' the area has become since, but I think they chose to make the (4) NTTs to give the (4) newer trains to withstand the demands of the Lexington line vs the older R62s. The (3) was given the R62s as the (3) was a part time line and the R62s were better suited for a line with a lesser demand.

That's what my understanding was about the east side being all NTT. The (6) got the R142As, so the (6) can send the (7) the R62As due to the R142As then not being able to handle the (7) line's 3rd rail and the need for trains to be in 11-car sets.

So if the problem with riders is having R62As back on the (6) again, then the only other choice would be to give the (4) the R62As and make the 6 mostly NTT.

The R142s are not leaving the (2) and (5) lines.

The (7) is likely not getting R142/As in the near future.

(Just thought the thread should be steered back ontopic, now that the side topic about the R110A has ended...)

According to the MTA Capital Plan, page 40, the CURRENT plan for the R188s is to order 123 cars for service increases to the (1)(2)(3) and (7) lines. If you do the math this adds up to 3 extra trains for each line (30x3 = 90 + 33 = 123). I don't know what the status of CBTC on the (7) is, nor do I know the status of CBTC on the West Side line (because they most likely are not able to add 3 extra trains to any of these lines right now; correct me if I'm wrong). It's too early to tell what will happen in terms of a possible (6)/(7) car swap.

I'll make one final 'thought' in this thread [since it's all speculation and such]:

If the 2 is to get three extra trains, they'll need to boot out three R142 sets from the 4 to make that happen. Other than that, I think I can see extra R62A sets going to both the 1 and 3 lines [and the 4 to replace the displaced R142s].

I was under the impression that the R188s were to be 'singles' to be inserted into an R142A set to make them 11-car trains for the (7) line. Also this would allow all the R62As to return to the mainline IRT to allow for a few extra cars left over to be used as spares or for service increases. Thus that means in order to give the (2) more trains, you'd need to take them from the (4), so the (2) would still be NTT.

I did not think these R188s would've been actual train sets on their own and were to have been designated for the (7) line only.

I'll admit I can be wrong, but that's what my initial thought about the R188 was going to be.

I remember that speculation making sense based on the old plan, but the new plan only calls for 3 new (7) trains for service increases (as well as for the (1)(2)(3)). I guess that means there will be 6 5-car sets and 3 single R188s for (7) service, but this is just me guessing.

Hem you are right. If I remember the total list was 414 cars for the 7 line and that would make about 37 11-car trains with some spares. So you are right about some having to be actual full length trains. I was only thinking of them as singles rather than as full trains. Thanks for the correction.

It would be interesting if these R188s also comes in 6-car sets, so they can give them all to the 7 and have them run with the R142As and not have to break up a train and insert a single car into the set.

why run R142A run on the (7). who remember what happen in 2003

when R142A run on the (7). why was there a thrid rail problem.

i believe running R142A would cause another problem

running on (7). (or R142A will turn become R188.?)

in 2003 , thrid rail on (7) line. i mean track 3 was not upgraded

for NTT ( new technology train , )

why run R142A run on the (7). who remember what happen in 2003

when R142A run on the (7). why was there a thrid rail problem.

i believe running R142A would cause another problem

running on (7). (or R142A will turn become R188.?)

in 2003 , thrid rail on (7) line. i mean track 3 was not upgraded

for NTT ( new technology train , )

You sound like a robot,

because i dont

understand what you

saying

Archived