The R46 Thread

EE Broadway Local

All train with WH propulsions/motors have that metallurgical feature including the R44s, R62As, and even the R1s. I personally view the WH acceleration as distinctive with the deep growl at the start of the run and consider it a classic since the R1 was the first to emit a deep growl when accelerating. Speaking of the deep growl, it's almost impossible to record the sound with a camera b/c the sound is so deep. The only video that I heard the WH deep growl from was one that feature an R62A express run on the now-defunct nycrails.com. Sorry for going off topic.

No it's different with the R68s that I am talking about. It's not regular WH noise. It's a "jet engine" type whirring noise in addition to the propulsion. The R44's do not have that metallurgical issue and are therefore quieter. Since some R68s do not have the metallurgical defect you can hear the difference there too vs. the ones that do because the ones that don't have the problem also run quieter, similar to an R44.

The R1/9's and for that matter the Lo-V's, BMT Standards, Hi-V, and el cards do not make anywhere near that sound. In the case of the R9's in particular that noise you hear is caused by the meshing of the bull and pinion gears under the car. Believe me, I've helped take apart an Arnine motor and put it back together again, so I am well versed in what I am talking about on this.

the interior has a very 70s feel with the yellow and orange and wood paneling, all they need is some mirror balls in there and some disco music
That seem to be the color scheme of that era.I mean even when you watch tv shows from that period, like that 70s show,all in the family,the Jeffersons etc etc they all had those colors as the most dominant in their entire home LOL.

All train with WH propulsions/motors have that metallurgical feature including the R44s, R62As, and even the R1s. I personally view the WH acceleration as distinctive with the deep growl at the start of the run and consider it a classic since the R1 was the first to emit a deep growl when accelerating. Speaking of the deep growl, it's almost impossible to record the sound with a camera b/c the sound is so deep. The only video that I heard the WH deep growl from was one that feature an R62A express run on the now-defunct nycrails.com. Sorry for going off topic.
See I notice the whirring noise on the (NYCT) rebuilt version.Not so much on the Morrison-Knudsen models.It must be a worstinghouse thing LOL.

Cool vid of the R44 whirling noise.Sounds like a (NYCT) rebuild to me.You guys have to admit that sound grows on you.

I've heard it and got used to it since the first time I rode on the A. When I used to live in Ozone Park and I hear the whirl, I would always assume it's an R44 over an airplane about to land at JFK.'

Also, the R62As with the Metallurgical Quirk are all on the 1.

I've heard it and got used to it since the first time I rode on the A. When I used to live in Ozone Park and I hear the whirl, I would always assume it's an R44 over an airplane about to land at JFK.'

Also, the R62As with the Metallurgical Quirk are all on the 1.

As I've said many times already in this thread, there is no pattern to which cars do this and which do not. Please stop making things up.

What is meant by "metallurgical quirk"? Something about the two metals used for the gears being reactive with one another, or the profiles of the gear teeth producing a certain sound?

I'm not 100% sure, you'd have to ask an expert in metals. But something about the way the metal was fabricated for the part causes that sound. Since it's harmless, it was left alone.

Archived